Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

It's a small world.............
Quote | Reply
...........my dad is 92 and still lives alone in the big family house. His neighbors are great as they look out for him, etc.

He has a wonderful neighbor across the street for the past year. She's a divorced chic and lives alone in the house across the street. He's got to know her quite well and she will bring him home cooking and generally looks out for him at all times. He's mentioned her several times but I never met her. My brother got to know her quite well but I don't live in the area.

Hadn't met her until last week. Turns out she's an old flame that I dated several times about 25 yrs ago. WTF!!! Back then we were both newly divorced and not ready for a commitment, our lives took different paths but we really did like each other. Funny thing is we recognized each other instantly after all that time. My dad had no idea!!!.

No chance of romance here, but does anybody else a "it's a small world" story that you might wish to share?
Quote Reply
Re: It's a small world............. [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's pretty cool. Does the spousal unit know about her?
Quote Reply
Re: It's a small world............. [dvfmfidc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dvfmfidc wrote:

Ironically, she's just going thru her 3rd divorce. At the time when we met years ago we both had only one recent divorce each. I've been with #2 for twenty years and really tight. I still really like her as a person and really appreciate how kind she has been to my dad, but its one of these run don't walk away from situations relationship wise even if I was still single. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dvfmfidc wrote:

Oh yeah. I told her first night. The wife said "oh you'll have to introduce us next time we visit your dad". I didn't think anything anything of it, but I remember #2 saying to me years ago, keep your friends close and your enemies even closer. :-) Seriously, not any kind of an issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, its pretty awesome that she helps. My wife and I do the same for an older woman in our hood. Her husband passed away a couple years ago. I will randomly mow her lawn, trim up some bushes, fix things around her house. Wife takes her food, visits with her, invites her over for dinner or swim in the pool.

Not bad for a Trump voter huh?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a friend, more of a brother really. We have been friends since we were kids. We are so close i go to his family reunions every year. I know all of his extended family.

Ms veganerd worked in nursing in a dementia unit at a facility for several years. At my friends family reunion this year, it was figured out that ms veganerd had cared for his great aunt for her last few years. All her sisters were so excited to hear stories about her time there. They all swaped stories for a couple hours. It was pretty fascinating and a group of old ladies were really happy to reminisce about their sister.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My ex lives in South Africa. Wife and I went there on vacation in 2010. Now, I had seen pictures of her husband on Facebook.

Anyway we're in Cape Town boarding a plane for Joburg and sure enough exes husband is boarding the same plane. I don't know if he saw me or would even know what I looked like.

I did not go talk to him.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dvfmfidc wrote:
Well, its pretty awesome that she helps. My wife and I do the same for an older woman in our hood. Her husband passed away a couple years ago. I will randomly mow her lawn, trim up some bushes, fix things around her house. Wife takes her food, visits with her, invites her over for dinner or swim in the pool.

Not bad for a Trump voter huh?

Yes I'm a liberal Canuck, but it may surprise you but my best friend of 40 yrs is a conservative pub American who lives in Philly( social moderate, fiscal conservative, hates Hilary but not a Trump fan) . We generally never really discuss politics that much because there is just so much other cool stuff such as vintage cars, motorcycles, boats, fishing, etc. etc and everything else to talk about. When we do discuss politics which is not too often we yell and scream and call each other a fucking idiot for five minutes and then have a beer and forget about it. Kinda like the LR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
During undergrad I was working in a small graphic design/print shop in Ocean City, NJ, working for two younger guys, early 30s. My mother was still living in London (ON) at the time, working as an assistant to one of the principals in some financial planning firm. During lunch he asked my mother about her family, and she started to tell him about my situation. Long story short, as the details emerged he realized I was working for his half brother, whom he hadn't seen or spoken to since their family split up during their childhood. They reconnected shortly after.

That's basically like, Oh, you know someone in the States. Does he by chance know John?

Sure does!

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HAHAHA!! your Dad is banging your ex!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
No chance of romance here, but does anybody else a "it's a small world" story that you might wish to share?

They all involve my wife.

Sitting at a restaurant in DE some guy at the next table recognizes her and turns out it was someone she went to high school with in Wyoming.

We lived in a OH for a couple of years and she worked as a temp. Took a job as a secretary at an aluminum factory in some small town and goes into the office and the other person working there was a girl she had gone to school with in Wyoming.

At a concert in DC and she runs into some guy she had dated who lived in NY.

Then the kicker, we went to a popular place in VT south of Burlington that was sort of a farm with hiking trails and such and we pull into a big grass field to park and a vehicle pulls in next to us and we all proceed to get out. Turns out the guy getting out of the car next to us was someone that my wife dated briefly in college in DE.
Quote Reply
Re: It's a small world............. [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not really a small world, your wife has just been with a third of the male population of the country.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No chance of romance here

Perhaps no chance for you. But your dad might have one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After spending the weekend working in the yard I suggested th the wife we should hit somewhere on the Maryland Ice Cream trail for a nice afternoon drive. We head out west of Frederick to a park named PenMar on the PA MD border, listen to music and eat some ice cream. Monday she talks to her sister who said she and her husband went to the same park(that she had never heard of), hiked on the Appalachian trail, listened to some music and had some ice cream.

Small world that we both drive an hour and a half away to a little known park neither of us had been to, at the same time.
Quote Reply
Re: It's a small world............. [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:

They all involve my wife.

At least she's not a hooker - they tend to not recognize their johns
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remember the girl who tried to kill me [twice]?

Her daughter showed up in my LinkedIn feed as "People you may know"

"Yeah, I know her ... she was about 6 when I was banging her mom"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Should make Christmas kind of interesting.

Quote | Reply
I currently live in California - used to work in Texas for a huge international company. Last year at the Ironman Maryland (my husband was participating in it), a woman walked up to me near the finish line. Turned out to be my ex-boss at this company. She was there because her husband was also participating. She lives in Florida. Very small world - hadn't seen her in 10 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
..but does anybody else a "it's a small world" story that you might wish to share?

I grew up in rural Illinois before moving to Arizona. Had a friend in college who was from San Diego. We were buddies for 3 years before I met his dad. We did the usual banter when meeting someone for the first time. Like asking where I was from. It went something like this (altered with fake names/towns):
Him: Where are you from?
Me: Illinois
Him: What part?
Me: Southern
Him: Yeah? What town?
Me: Beverlyhollyoaks town
Him: You know the Smiths?
Me: Yes. All of them. My mom was a Smith
Him: You know Bob Smith?
Me: Yes, that's my grandfather
Him (with a bright expression): I'm named after your grandfather. My name is Bob Jones. Your grandfather helped out my mom and dad and they named me after your grandfather.

I'd say that counts!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remembered a more.

On my recent vacation to isla mujeres, i was walking down the street and i saw a guy wearing a finisher shirt from a local (to me) tri that i did. Turns out he lives less than 2 miles from me.

Same trip, On our final day there, struck up a conversation with another couple on the beach. Found out they also happen to be from the twin cities and the woman works at tap room we go to.

2000 miles from home on a tiny island and bumping into people from my hometown was weird. I wonder if the odds of this are greater than they seem.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was in Nagoya, Japan for a design meeting, and the Japanese engineer had fantastic English. He was sitting across from me at lunch so we started a conversation. Long story short, he and I were in band together in high school in the Dallas area. He was in my sister's class, me 2 years behind. But for a year we sat about 10 feet from each other.

Another time, wife and I were on a vacation in Europe. We got on a train in Paris a d there were only a couple of others in the car. Saw a guy wearing a U of Texas sweatshirt so we strike up a conversation. Turns out he was doing a semester abroad and I was being a mentor to his aerospace engineering classmate that semester at work back in Houston.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On vacation in London a few years ago, coming up out the the subway to go to the Tower of London and bump into a family that lives a few streets over from us and their daughter and ours were in day together as toddlers/pre-schoolers.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was in a bar called sidetrack in chicago with a large group of friends and i heard someone shout my first and last name........

Someone i had not seen for a decade who i had not seen or spoken to in a decade since i graduated from manchester.........

All of which would have been great except sidetrack is a huge gay bar and i'm there going "this is not what it seems....."
Quote Reply