Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Uran power analysis from stage 9
Quote | Reply
Pretty amazing numbers from Uran's stage winning ride. What I find interesting is that the numbers aren't insanely high. https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...mountain-tour-stage/
Last edited by: grumpier.mike: Jul 12, 17 14:44
Quote Reply
Re: Uran power analysis from stage 9 [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Overall Stage Stats
  • Duration: 5:07:22
  • Speed: 35.4kph
  • Training Load: 319 TSS
  • Average Power: 219w, 3.78 w/kg
  • Normalized Power: 292w, 4.63 w/kg

4.68 W/Kg over 5 hours-plus of mountainous 4000 metres [3 beyond category climbs]riding sounds pretty world class if you ask me.
Especially when you consider he did the latter kms with a bent derailleur, and eventually on 2 gears.

res, non verba
Last edited by: RoYe: Jul 12, 17 14:55
Quote Reply
Re: Uran power analysis from stage 9 [RoYe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RoYe wrote:

Overall Stage Stats
  • Duration: 5:07:22
  • Speed: 35.4kph
  • Training Load: 319 TSS
  • Average Power: 219w, 3.78 w/kg
  • Normalized Power: 292w, 4.63 w/kg

4.68 W/Kg over 5 hours-plus of mountainous 4000 metres [3 beyond category climbs]riding sounds pretty world class if you ask me.
Especially when you consider he did the latter kms with a bent derailleur, and eventually on 2 gears.

What is interesting is that the total Kilojoules are actually pretty low even at 63 kilos considering the speed of the ride and the 4600m of vertical!!!! If you just saw that in isolation it would not seem insanely awesome.

But the Variability index is massive!!! The total kilojoules which is AP x time seems low in isolation if you don't get to see NP and variability Index and the max 6 min power...at that point you see how hard this ride was.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Pretty amazing numbers from Uran's stage winning ride. What I find interesting is that the numbers aren't insanely high. https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...mountain-tour-stage/

4.63 normalized with significant 30 min sections over 5.2 over the course of 5+ hours isn't insanely high? Oh, and after 10 days of racing?

That's delusional.
Quote Reply
Re: Uran power analysis from stage 9 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

What is interesting is that the total Kilojoules are actually pretty low even at 63 kilos considering the speed of the ride and the 4600m of vertical!!!! If you just saw that in isolation it would not seem insanely awesome.

238 ap. That's how kJs are computed. Weight and climbing have nothing to do with it. Just average watts per hour.
Quote Reply
Re: Uran power analysis from stage 9 [rubik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
VI is meaningless on a course where they spend significant amounts of time descending & drafting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
a - it's cool to see a file that is about IM bike distance and time. of course, it's near unfathomable to do 15k ft of climbing also.
b - that 3.8w/kg for 5 hrs is impressive period. in the context of normalized power and 3 very steep pretty long climbs, it's the realm of world tour guys only.
c - he did this 24 hours after a very similarly tough effort (and after 8 days of maybe 900 miles? of racing)
d - the first 30 mins were sick with breaks getting established - so he had to deal with that start. then he did about the final 10 minutes of the last 1000ft (of 15k ft) of climbing at about 6w/kg.
pretty much everything about this file tells me that those 8-10 guys cresting that final climb nearly together get paid a lot for very good reason.
it's cool to get access to this and i know its tempting to say that's not too much better than i (same weight -- maybe 5w/kg thresh) could imagine - but in the context of all that came before that big effort at the top of mt. chat -- this is way way way better than i can imagine
i'm very impressed. sincerely, rick
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

238 ap. That's how kJs are computed. Weight and climbing have nothing to do with it. Just average watts per hour.

yes, I realize how kilojoules are computed (Watts x time = Newton-meters/second x second = N-m). That's why I said if you just look at the total Kilojoules (N-m) in isolation it would not seem that remarkable, and in a perfect world with no rolling or air resistance nor braking, every meter you climb is potential energy you store for when you descend so in theory you get all the work from climbing back in descending. In practice, a lot of it blows away riding at high speed into more air molecules per second than while climbing or due to braking (and braking was a big feature of Stage 9), so climbing courses USUALLY require a lot more kilojoules than flat courses even though in theory both should require the identical amount of kilojoules.
Quote Reply
Re: Uran power analysis from stage 9 [RoYe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Relative to Dumolin's 6+ watts/kilo I expected something higher. It is certainly impressive and I could never do that, but this makes these guys look human.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You guys have some seriously strange notions of "not awesome" and the like. 4300+ kJ on one day of a 3 week tour, during the course of a 5 hour, 4.6 w/kg onslaught.

That's an insane workload. Utterly insane. No one here could even remotely come close to something like that on the best day of their life.

I feel that should be brazenly obvious, yet two different posters...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:
You guys have some seriously strange notions of "not awesome" and the like. 4300+ kJ on one day of a 3 week tour, during the course of a 5 hour, 4.6 w/kg onslaught.

That's an insane workload. Utterly insane. No one here could even remotely come close to something like that on the best day of their life.

Just that given the focus on watts/kg and the limits of a non-juiced human, I thought 5 watts/kg in the tour seemed relatively mild compared to the 6+ from the Giro and Vielta. Either this year's Giro was a much harder race or the Tour is being ridden more conservatively with more riders focusing on a top 10 place.

It is not like Rolland's ride on stage 17 of the Giro wasn't further into a grand tour, he won the first 2 KOMs, made the 20 rider split, and put out 400+ watts for the last 8K
Last edited by: grumpier.mike: Jul 12, 17 16:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He would get clobbered on Zwift.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rubik wrote:

You're missing part of the reading. I just said that the kilojoules and average power on their own read in isolation don't look crazy. Once you take the average power and his weight it starts looking more impressive, but many guys on here will easily hold the same watts per kilo in a flattish half IM. Then you look at the NP/kilo for the whole day and then suddenly it starts looking insanely impressive. Then you look at some of the NP/kilo for select periods and its insane. Finally you look at the day before and the 8 days before and it is just out of this world. There are essentially only 5 guys in the world who were able to do that...Uran, Aru, Froome, Fuglsang, Bardet.

You're just not reading the entire context of what myself and others posted and jumping to conclusions and then talking down like a smart alec with the "..." closing. I think a few of us clearly said that the AP alone does not jump out as crazy insane until you go further and look at the other stuff and context.
Quote Reply
Re: Uran power analysis from stage 9 [Sausagetail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sausagetail wrote:
He would get clobbered on Zwift.

Well yeah, he is WAAYYYY too heavy.

Dan Mayberry
Amateur a lot of things, professional a few things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanders would beat this pretender.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Relative to Dumolin's 6+ watts/kilo I expected something higher. It is certainly impressive and I could never do that, but this makes these guys look human.

https://cyclingtips.com/...finish-giro-ditalia/

You are comparing apple with oranges.
The 6+ watts/kilo you quoted for Dumoulin was only for the final climb on the Blockhaus, not the entire stage.

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Re: Uran power analysis from stage 9 [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriguyBlue wrote:
Sanders would beat this pretender.

I was thinking that a Sanders powerfile thread would be 20K views and 500 posts on ST. Uran barely gets over 500 views and a few dozen posts!
Quote Reply