Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Does anyone buy race insurance?
Quote | Reply
Almost everyone I ask says 'no' or has no experience with it.
I actually, for the first time, added it to my Oceanside race. I only added it because I had 10 days to cancel if needed and was hoping the underwriter would provide more information if needed. Well, info seems
to be the same as provided from active.com.

Does anyone have any experience with this and any questions I should be asking them?

Basically seems to cover race day things like car problems, trauma, illnesses etc...looks like it provides 100% of race fee.

JF
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone buy race insurance? [Johnnyfever] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Edit - I thought you meant travel insurance associated with races ... not quite the same thing. Add me to the list of those who never buy race insurance. In the long run, it does not make financial sense.
Last edited by: HuffNPuff: Jul 13, 17 13:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Johnnyfever wrote:
I actually, for the first time, added it to my Oceanside race. I only added it because I had 10 days to cancel if needed and was hoping the underwriter would provide more information if needed. Well, info seems

Does anyone have any experience with this and any questions I should be asking them?

Basically seems to cover race day things like car problems, trauma, illnesses etc...looks like it provides 100% of race fee.

JF

I did for the first time ever for IM Chattanooga. I'm coming off knee surgery in January and could not run until March. I was confident enough I would not suffer a relapse to sign up, but the insurance in my specific instance seemed to make sense. It's very out of the norm for me--I don't buy extended warranties, travel insurance, extra insurance on my car rentals, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did for Ohio 70.3 and I'm about to find out how to use it. Knees are still not able to run. If I hadn't bought it I would go swim and bike but because I can file a claim I will.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do for races that sell out quick and we need to sign up a year in advance. Who the hell knows where I'll be a year from now. Insurance is $90 for full or $40 for half. Drop in the bucket compared to the total cost of racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I purchased it once for an Ironman two years ago and it definitely was worth it. Had to have emergency colon resection surgery, that included a longish hospital stay, about four months prior to race day. Had my surgeon fill out a form and filed a claim. I was paid back everything I was due. I do have to say that they are not happy about paying claims and it took a threat of legal action based on bad faith claims handling in order to get paid. So, just don't count on receiving your refund in the time frame specified.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do for the races I have to register a year out from. Otherwise i wait as long as possible to sign up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Johnnyfever wrote:

JF

Bought the race insurance for the Honu 70.3 2 years ago and had to use it due to an ankle surgery about 2 months before the race. Surgeon filled out the forms, got all my race fee back within about 4 weeks of the paperwork showing up. No fuss, no muss.
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone buy race insurance? [ilsapproach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does Ironman give full refunds to military members who receive unexpected orders that conflict with a registered race date?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Johnnyfever wrote:

JF
I buy it for $7 for a local sprint, early reg price still has me ahead vs late registration. Allianz issues an insurance certificate, underwritten through Jefferson Ins Co.

for the reply re military duty, here's what i found:
9. You or Your Companion, who are on Active Military Duty having personal leave revoked,
except for disciplinary reasons.

http://www.PatGriskusTri.com USAT Certified Race Director
2024 Races: USAT State of CT Age Group Championship/State of CT HS Champs/ CT Club Championship - Sat June 15th (Oly/Du/Sprint) Hopkins Vineyard Tri at Lake Waramaug Saturday July 13th http://www.HopkinsVineyardTri.com
Quote Reply
Re: Does anyone buy race insurance? [KP-NJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two years ago the coverage was with a different company. Ironman switched Race Registration Insurance providers in 2017 to Allianz (on Jefferson paper). Every company has different philosophies regarding claims handling but having worked there as an Underwriter before I moved I found it to be a company with an emphasis on customer experience in their corporate culture. Some have that & others to a lesser extent. I do not have any experience with the other company to compare but a poor claims handling experience a few years ago would have been with a different organization.
Quote Reply