Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Acceptable Diff between NP and Avg Pwr
Quote | Reply
Is there an acceptable percentage difference between Normalized Power compared to Average Power. In my long training rides, I try to keep both as close as possible. At what point can I look at the difference and say I did not have a steady output ride. So on a 200 avg power ride i would view a 205 or even a 210 normalized power as a good, steady output ride. But at what point would it be considered a "bad" paced ride........10%+, 15%+?
Quote Reply
Re: Acceptable Diff between NP and Avg Pwr [atxtri1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think 1.05 VI is good for ironman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The difference is inverse as the race distance grows

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems to me that an acceptible VI would be a floating number determined by several factors; length of course, elevation profile, wind, tactics, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Acceptable Diff between NP and Avg Pwr [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
The difference is inverse as the race distance grows

Brian speaks the truth. I've had a difference of 30+ watts in a hilly sprint, but try to keep things within 5-6 watts in an IM.

Doing intervals I often end with a 20-30 watt difference, but try to stay relatively steady when racing.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'd get a high VI if you rode sensibly hard up climbs and then coasted down.

That's not necessarily bad, just an indication of how you rode.
Quote Reply
Re: Acceptable Diff between NP and Avg Pwr [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
You'd get a high VI if you rode sensibly hard up climbs and then coasted down.

That's not necessarily bad, just an indication of how you rode.
Minor nitpick. That is not necessarily bad up to a half iron (or shorter, depending on experience) although the average speed is probably going to be less than if the rider kept consistent watts to within their own means.

Do that in a full and you'll blow and walk the marathon.
Quote Reply
Re: Acceptable Diff between NP and Avg Pwr [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't agree that if a person rode within their IM climbing limits and coasted down the hills, they're going to walk the marathon. I'm thinking a course like Wisconsin.

A high VI at IMFL would likely be a poor approach though.

I would just think they'd be a little slower on the bike.

Perhaps we're thinking of different courses.
Quote Reply
Re: Acceptable Diff between NP and Avg Pwr [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
to keep it simple..... even more at ironman...the high the VI...the slower the run will be from your potential best run.

if you ride within your limit and smart...climbing very controle and coasting only when reaching high speed...you will most likely turn a relatively low VI for a given course and that will set you best for a good run.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Acceptable Diff between NP and Avg Pwr [test] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
test wrote:
I think 1.05 VI is good for ironman
What about for shorter races: 70.3? Standard Distance? Sprint Distance?

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Re: Acceptable Diff between NP and Avg Pwr [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
......if you ride within your limit and smart...climbing very controle and coasting only when reaching high speed...you will most likely turn a relatively low VI for a given course and that will set you best for a good run.

I vaguely reading a while back somewhere.....not sure if an article, post, or blog (if memory serves me right) that actually pedaling the downhills vs. coasting them is better in terms of NP/VI and setup for the run.......even if coasting is viewed as "resting the legs". Is that what you're saying here?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what i mean is: if for your target power, the pedaling action wont increase your speed in a downhill... it might be wise to stop pedaling and tuck in and go down as fast as possible. While you could get a lower VI by keep pedaling .....i tell my athletes the goal isnt the absolute lowest VI...but to get to the finish line the FASTEST possible.

so once your spin out at 53X11 or at 35+mph.....just tuck in....stay low and aero and enjoy the ride...

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply