Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: WTS Hamburg [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
salmonsteve wrote:

Accelerometers.

Steve is that really true are are you winding us up?

Thanks,

Hugh

Yes accelerometers. I asked Emma (we coach her and she's currently the Aussie travelling physio). Apparently they have an intern / sport scientist travelling with them who is doing a paper on the dynamics of the team relay, it'll be published later this year.

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Quote Reply
Re: WTS Hamburg [salmonsteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
salmonsteve wrote:
sciguy wrote:
salmonsteve wrote:

Accelerometers.

Thanks,

Hugh

Yes accelerometers. I asked Emma (we coach her and she's currently the Aussie travelling physio). Apparently they have an intern / sport scientist travelling with them who is doing a paper on the dynamics of the team relay, it'll be published later this year.

Thanks Steve,

That's really interesting. I'd have never guessed that the tape was securing accelerometers to them. My wife was trying to figure out what the KT tape was supposed to help with while I at first thought they had matching road rash covered up.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: WTS Hamburg [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Sam says Hi Maurice & thanks for your note. Retirement...hmmm...that's an interesting word around these parts.

She remembers the race, apparently up toward Kamloops in the mountains she thinks? I've heard lots of stories about that particular years base in Penticton; Terenzo, Rhodesy and some others made quite the name for the kiwis...I wasn't there that year.

Spent about 7 weeks at Jill's place in Penticton in 2008, absolutely loved the place and met some amazing people. Similar story, we went down to the Oliver Triathlon that year, was a really cool race, awesome welcoming people, & beautiful smooth roads I seem to remember too? I still have a photo from that trip from Jill's condo that I'll post on here one day....but Rappstar will ban me instantly so that'll be my "retirement" ;)

All the best.

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
salmonsteve wrote:
sciguy wrote:
salmonsteve wrote:

Accelerometers.

Thanks,

Hugh

Thanks Steve,

That's really interesting. I'd have never guessed that the tape was securing accelerometers to them. My wife was trying to figure out what the KT tape was supposed to help with while I at first thought they had matching road rash covered up.

I don't follow how a study of the dynamics of a triathlon relay would be very informative. I mean, if we interpret "dynamics" literally it means changes in speed, right??? Well, the changes in speed from the swim to the bike to the run are pretty huge but that is already very well known. So how is this study going to "increase our knowledge"???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: WTS Hamburg [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Yes accelerometers. I asked Emma (we coach her and she's currently the Aussie travelling physio). Apparently they have an intern / sport scientist travelling with them who is doing a paper on the dynamics of the team relay, it'll be published later this year.[/quote]

Thanks Steve,

That's really interesting. I'd have never guessed that the tape was securing accelerometers to them. My wife was trying to figure out what the KT tape was supposed to help with while I at first thought they had matching road rash covered up.[/quote]

I don't follow how a study of the dynamics of a triathlon relay would be very informative. I mean, if we interpret "dynamics" literally it means changes in speed, right??? Well, the changes in speed from the swim to the bike to the run are pretty huge but that is already very well known. So how is this study going to "increase our knowledge"???[/quote]
Pretty sure they show a lot more than that, stroke rate and cadence at the least, and for every moment of the race, from dive in until they get turned off at end. When looked at beside the race times by the minute could be some very interesting info actually.
Quote Reply
Re: WTS Hamburg [Scotttriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scotttriguy wrote:
Quantum wrote:

Joanna Brown had probably the most impressive individual performance from yesterday

Yes, a very impressive run after doing almost all the work on the bike.

I think on Saturday in the sprint she may have been hampered by the crash and lost the front pack or would have had a higher finish. She'll do well on tough bike courses - are there any left on the WTS circuit?

Montreal has a tough bike course (Hills, cobbles, technical, it's like a spring classic of triathlon... it was a WC event last year, Flora used it as her last tune up pre-Rio)... The interesting thing was that the Canadian MTR team was largely picked based on their performance at Nationals (along with WC and WTS performances...), which was at the Ottawa CAMTRI event, where they did super sprint qualifying and sprint finals... So they were partially selected for their performance in the super sprint format, similar to the MTR... it will be interesting to see, if as we move towards Tokyo, more countries start to run similar events as part of their selection processes... Incidentally, Jo Brown won that event (in the sprint final she was off the front in a two person break the whole time, although Paula Findlay probably did 70% of the work on the bike, but in the later stages of the run, Paula lost touch...).
Quote Reply
Re: WTS Hamburg [chrisb12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisb12 wrote:

Thanks Steve,
That's really interesting. I'd have never guessed that the tape was securing accelerometers to them. My wife was trying to figure out what the KT tape was supposed to help with while I at first thought they had matching road rash covered up.[/quote]
I don't follow how a study of the dynamics of a triathlon relay would be very informative. I mean, if we interpret "dynamics" literally it means changes in speed, right??? Well, the changes in speed from the swim to the bike to the run are pretty huge but that is already very well known. So how is this study going to "increase our knowledge"???[/quote]
Pretty sure they show a lot more than that, stroke rate and cadence at the least, and for every moment of the race, from dive in until they get turned off at end. When looked at beside the race times by the minute could be some very interesting info actually.[/quote]
OK, I can see now that this could yield some interesting data, thanks for the explain.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: WTS Hamburg [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That MTR is so exciting! I love Kanute doing what Cam Dye was supposed to do...

McElroy was very impressive hanging with Birtwhistle, especially after doing the bike solo. If he can just bump that swim up a bit, he's a good anchor. Unless that kid who won Juniors and ran a 4:04/ 8:30 learns to swim well...

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: WTS Hamburg [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Unless that kid who won Juniors and ran a 4:04/ 8:30 learns to swim well.

------
Austin Hindman, swims well (came out beside Kanute in Hamburg). I think he'll likely race elite cup races in summers and run full time (w tri cross training supposedly) during school year.

He raced Hamburg, first truly big boy race of that caliber.

Will be racing worlds defending junior title.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: WTS Hamburg [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
That MTR is so exciting! I love Kanute doing what Cam Dye was supposed to do...

McElroy was very impressive hanging with Birtwhistle, especially after doing the bike solo. If he can just bump that swim up a bit, he's a good anchor. Unless that kid who won Juniors and ran a 4:04/ 8:30 learns to swim well...

I'd love to see someone work with McElroy on his position. I ride my mountain bike more aero than he rides his race bike. He sits very upright with elbows splayed outward rather than streamlined as if he's trying to create drag.

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that's the nature of single sport turned itu pro. Bike skills/ability is likely the slowest to acquire because of the tendency to have swim dominant program training initially (demands of competition). You can look at the progression of athletes in US who came to tri as a runner and first thing they improve most is swim and then bike position/skills/strength improves over time.

ETA: and I'm not saying a bike fit can't help. What I'm saying is that I think just the look/feel/fit/comfortability for single sport athletes always in the beginning looks off.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jul 18, 17 13:46
Quote Reply
Re: WTS Hamburg [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow - I saw he made the main pack initially, but I didn't realize he swam that well. Even for a wetsuit sprint that seems really meaningful.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply

Prev Next