Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rev3 Williamsburg Half Race Report
Quote | Reply
My first time doing a Rev3 race. My 4th half distance triathlon.

Friday before race getting things ready to drive to VA and had to have an emergency bike repair. Bad bottom bracket. Luckily bike shop fit me in and got it fixed.

Swim: 38:39. I am definitely not a fast swimmer. But my fitness has improved a lot this year. I'm faster than I was and come fresher out of the water than in years past. Swim was in a river. very little current. muddy swim exit. During swim warmup I unfortunately cut my foot on the heel on a rock or something walking in. It was bleeding but didn't affect me the rest of the race. It's sore now and there was a good chunk taken out. Overall. My swim is what it is. I've improved some definitely and probably could have pushed a little harder in the swim.

T1: 2:01. No major issues. In and out relatively quickly

Bike: 2:36 I've improved a lot on the bike. I kept close to my target watts goal. First half I was dead on but second half I slowed slightly but was trying to make sure I did not over bike. Bike was mostly rollers. A little twisty at times. Driving the course day before I thought it was going to be really sketchy with all the twists and turns but race day turned out fine. A "nice" bridge climb almost immediately out of T1. I had 3 of my bottles filled with gatorade and 3 scoops of carbo pro. And 3 gu gels. Bike wasn't that hot so I drank maybe 40oz from my bottles so I ended up taking all 3 gels to make up some of the carbs/calories/sodium I would have gotten from drinking. I've always been a light drinker and eater racing and have actually tried to increase it a little. Last 20 miles on the bike was on a slightly busier road and impatient drivers became a problem. I almost got clipped by one. Overall happy with the bike

T2: 1:01 In and out. no major problems

Run: 2:02 Run was where I faltered. I started out the first 5k close to my target pace but my legs felt a little tired. Slowed a little but figured I'd try to keep that pace for the next 5k and go from there. By mile 6-7 my legs were having and my pace continued to slow. I had taken a gel at mile 3 or somehwere around there.. I took gatorade at every aid station. stayed cool by dumping 2 cups of ice water over my head, ice under hat or down back, and grabbing a cold sponge at each aid station. 2nd half of the run was definitely much warmer so that probably affected my pace some but I felt I did all I could to stay cool. Crossed the finished line and was dead for about 15 minutes. Just sat in shade with cold towel and gatorade and ice water.

Overall: 5:20 (PR by more than 15 minutes) 7/30 in my age group. Would have loved to make it into top 3-5 in age group but I fell apart on the 2nd half of the run.

Rev3 put on a good race. well organized. everything was cold at the aid stations which on a warm day made things great. I PR'd so I can't complain too much. Run was disappointing. This was a good practice race leading up to IM Chattanooga which will be my 1st full distance triathlon. Even though I felt my nutrition was good race day I've been planning on switching to Infinit or something less sweet than Gatorade.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg Half Race Report [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd recommend trying Infinit or e-fuel from Cranksports. I used Infinit for a couple years but switched to the latter this year - it's less sweet and at least for me easier to get down and process.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg Half Race Report [mattyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah. I got some infinit right before the race but didn't want to try that on race day. Had tried in a few years back. I like taking most of my calories in liquid form if possible. For half distance, it's worked out reasonably well, I'm just not sure how it carries over to full distance. big difference between racing for 5-6 vs 11+
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How long did it take you to get the mud and the mud smell out?

I like 2 scoops EFS and 3 scoops of Carbopro

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg Half Race Report [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:
How long did it take you to get the mud and the mud smell out?

I like 2 scoops EFS and 3 scoops of Carbopro

haha I honestly haven't checked my tri top which has white on the backside. I washed it but really didn't look at it. It's probably brown now.

so you do like 500 calories bottles. is that like 125g carbs per bottle?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why so many calories on the bike? Sounds like you are setting you self up for a stomach dump..either front or rear
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg Half Race Report [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
Why so many calories on the bike? Sounds like you are setting you self up for a stomach dump..either front or rear

That's what I'm trying to sort out before my first IM. I'm actually not sure I took in as many as 40 oz. Probably a little less. but the 3 gu gels gets me at 300 calories. The liquid form I probably ended up in the 600 calories range (gatorade + carbo pro). so a rough estimate is 900 calories. give or take 100+ calories. I took one gel on the run. and then gatorade at each aid station. My carbs for the day were somewhere in the 300g range so, from general guidelines, 60g per hour is a good guideline. What do you take in? Luckily, I didn't have any GI issues. I always worry I'm not taking in enough. I also feel like I tend to drink too little.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in the ballpark of 60-65g of carbohydrates. Two bottles on the bike, no gels, and at the aid stations I just grab a water at the beginning drink it as I'm going thru it and ditch it at the end.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev3 Williamsburg Half Race Report [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
I am in the ballpark of 60-65g of carbohydrates. Two bottles on the bike, no gels, and at the aid stations I just grab a water at the beginning drink it as I'm going thru it and ditch it at the end.

I only take the gels if it's not that warm which means I probably won't drink as much. That's what happened with this race. warm on run but not on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did this race a few years ago. All in all, a positive experience. Bike was beautiful. Swim was in a lake that was dry enough that there was actually some walking near the shore instead of swimming. But wasn't a fan of the run. Was through a sports complex where I think the W and M CC team runs. Half through the woods, half on pavement. Was boiling hot and had to do four loops. Sounds like they changed the swim, is the run the same?

Overall am a fan of Challenge events. Staff was great, event well put on.
Quote Reply