Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bottle/flat placement for olympic distance
Quote | Reply
"Triathlon Bikes in the Age of Peak Aero" and the corresponding forum thread make me think that most current frames are pretty close to each other, but what you stick on that frame when racing can make a big difference. Being that I'm not in the market for a new bike I've been looking to clean up/fine tune my current setup in terms of bottle placement and flat storage.

I'm pretty well set for sprints, halfs, and fulls, but I'm on the fence when it comes to olympic distance. For an olympic I carry a flat kit (tube, levers, CO2, and inflator), a front bottle (PD integrated bottle for the Plasma 5), and one additional bottle. Anyone care to offer an opinion on two setups below?

Option 1: Front PD bottle, behind the seat standard bottle, flat kit in aero pouch.

Option 2: Front PD bottle, downtube aero bottle, flat kit in a storage bottle behind the seat.

If it makes any difference, I'm a relatively big guy (6'2", 175 lb) so I probably leave a good size area of low pressure behind the seat (in favor of the aero pouch?). On the other hand, I've been surprised to see that some pros like Frodeno race with the Elite Crono on the downtube even when they don't have anything behind the seat. Makes me wonder if the Elite bottle is actually an aero benefit? Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Bottle/flat placement for olympic distance [Northy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wasn't going to reply at first, but since no one is I'll have a go at it. I personally think that you don't need a second bottle. I take 3-4 sips during the bike of an olympic. What I would do if I was you is use your front hydration system and just e-tap your flatkit (barebones flat kit) under the bat of your saddle. As for the two bottle options: Behind the seat is faster but harder to reach.
Quote Reply
Re: Bottle/flat placement for olympic distance [jmjtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmjtri wrote:
Wasn't going to reply at first, but since no one is I'll have a go at it. I personally think that you don't need a second bottle. I take 3-4 sips during the bike of an olympic. What I would do if I was you is use your front hydration system and just e-tap your flatkit (barebones flat kit) under the bat of your saddle. As for the two bottle options: Behind the seat is faster but harder to reach.

Agreed here. For oly the bike is too short to need to carry two bottles. Just go with the front hydration and whatever seems most aero for the flat kit behind. Lose whatever frame cages you might have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmjtri wrote:

x3. shove your tube/lever/co2 under the seat and ditch the 2nd bottle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would go option 2 but remove the down tube bottle unless it is shown to be faster with it. You should only need one bottle for an Oly.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Bottle/flat placement for olympic distance [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've thought about it but that front bottle doesn't hold as much as you'd think, or at least not as much as I'd hoped. I almost drained the whole front bottle in a local sprint last week, and that was a sub-30 ride (missed fastest bike split by 3 seconds...).

I don't think I've ever gone through two whole bottles in an olympic, but I'll certainly go through more than just the front bottle. Guess I just drink more than most.
Quote Reply
Re: Bottle/flat placement for olympic distance [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
shove your tube/lever/co2 under the seat ....

Better yet, in the bento box.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone ever been on the podium - after flatting in an Oly?

Not sure what your goals are. Not sure (if I were gunning for the podium) I'd carry a flat kit.
Quote Reply
Re: Bottle/flat placement for olympic distance [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've tried but haven't been able to get a tube, CO2, inflator, and lever in the bento. If anyone else has had luck squeezing these into the Plasma 5 bento I would love to see some pics.
Quote Reply
Re: Bottle/flat placement for olympic distance [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nc452010 wrote:

Not sure what your goals are. Not sure (if I were gunning for the podium) I'd carry a flat kit.

Exactly this. If you consider your race over if you flat, then you don't carry a flat kit, no matter the distance.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't need a flat kit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nc452010 wrote:

You make a good point. For my Oly on Sunday getting on the podium is my secondary goal. What I'd really like is the bike course record. I've had the best bike split before but have been just shy of the record, which is why I'm sweating the details. And you're right, nobody has set an Oly course record with a flat.

Side note: the last time I had the best bike split at this Oly I was riding this (w/o the dual carrier on the back). I think the new bike is a bit cleaner.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Northy wrote:
I've tried but haven't been able to get a tube, CO2, inflator, and lever in the bento. If anyone else has had luck squeezing these into the Plasma 5 bento I would love to see some pics.

I get a full flat kit into an Xlab Stealth 200. I assumed, from looking at photos, that the Scott bento was larger. Maybe not? If you tape the CO2 under the seat, can you fit the rest in the bento?

Last edited by: gary p: Jul 12, 17 9:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nc452010 wrote:

No, but you can be damn sure that when I do flat at an Oly, it'll happen at the furthest possible point from Transition, on a race with no sag support.

Yeah, your race is shot with a flat. But you still gotta get back to Transition, and walking in bike shoes sucks.

Last edited by: gary p: Jul 12, 17 9:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's also an option to take off your front hydration and use a BTA mount with a standard 24 oz bottle. That generally tests faster than built in front hydration systems. My Giant trinity front hydration system holds WAYYY (48 oz) to much water so I just took it off. Something to think about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm another that doesn't carry a flat kit for an Olympic. Just one bottle; BTA. If I flat, I'm done, not to mention pissed off... but once I remember I don't have to run, I'm OK.

To each their own. Nice bike BTW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:

I get a full flat kit into an Xlab Stealth 200. I assumed, from looking at photos, that the Scott bento was larger. Maybe not? If you tape the CO2 under the seat, can you fit the rest in the bento?

With the CO2 under the seat I should be fine actually. The Scott bento is long but gets prett thin toward the back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I focus on OLY distance and doing the IMG/Premier Escape series this year. Like you, only goal is to podium so bike is aero as possible. No flat kit. One BTA bottle...Profile Design HC to stay in aero while drinking. One gel taped to top tube. Keep it clean and light as possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Northy wrote:
gary p wrote:

With the CO2 under the seat I should be fine actually. The Scott bento is long but gets prett thin toward the back.

I did have to go with a super compact inflator to get it all to fit. https://www.amazon.com/...eywords=co2+inflator

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you thought about where you're going to stick the race number?

Just above the rear wheel, top/bottom of seatpost?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
Yeah, your race is shot with a flat. But you still gotta get back to Transition, and walking in bike shoes sucks.

Somewhat general question (not specifically to garyp but to anyone): if you find a place for a flat kit that's aero neutral then would you race with it, regardless of the distance? Say you have an Andean, P5x, Speedconcept w/draftbox, etc.? Sure it adds a little weight but if it's integrated into the frame and not costing you any watts then would you race without a flat kit in a sprint or olympic with the thought that your race is over if you get a puncture?

I'd like to set the course record or at least have the BBS again this Sunday, but even if I flat and am out of contention I still want to finish the race.
Quote Reply