Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HED H3 Plus Carbon Road Wheel Clincher
Quote | Reply
I currently have Zipp Super 9 in back and Zipp 808 in front. But read many great things about this wheel. I probably would prefer the carbon rims like the GT3 but not a fan of tubular.

Does anybody have experience with this wheel? How tough is it? Can I use it as a everyday go out and ride kind of wheel? I know the Zipp Super 9 is pretty darn tough just wondering if this is too fragile.
Quote Reply
Re: HED H3 Plus Carbon Road Wheel Clincher [marathonrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The H3 Plus is not all carbon. The brake track is still aluminum.

I use them for my race wheels.

I assume they're like the old H3 in being damn near bomb proof.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's pretty indestructible (old H3) .. fairly heavy. I don't like the wind performance (blown around) and I'm not a lightweight rider. I'm sure the GT3 is better but I'm also done with tubular for anything but my road climbing wheels. I have an old corima 4 spoke that is pretty light but it's tubular and actually just got a Zipp 808 to match my Super9.... so I'll be clinchers front and rear... Personally I'd stick with the 808.... Super9 tough? I don't know .. I'm not risking it on training rides unless the road is ultra smooth.
Last edited by: spntrxi: Jul 11, 17 19:22
Quote Reply
Re: HED H3 Plus Carbon Road Wheel Clincher [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:
it's pretty indestructible (old H3) .. fairly heavy. I don't like the wind performance (blown around) and I'm not a lightweight rider. I'm sure the GT3 is better but I'm also done with tubular for anything but my road climbing wheels. I have an old corima 4 spoke that is pretty light but it's tubular and actually just got a Zipp 808 to match my Super9.... so I'll be clinchers front and rear... Personally I'd stick with the 808.... Super9 tough? I don't know .. I'm not risking it on training rides unless the road is ultra smooth.

Oh my gosh we got the exact same setup. I do love my current setup and when I had 808's both front and rear, the wind was a little pushy. My front end wouldn't go wild but I could feel a tug on the bars with a cross wind. Ever since putting the Super 9, the front seems so much more stable and less effected by the wind.

another reason I am reluctant to go with the HED 3 Plus is because I had the old SRAM S80's and it felt so heavy. My Speed Concept feels heavy enough so the last thing I want is to add more weight. I love the Super 9 because it really is stiff and light and spins up and holds the speed.

But I have heard the tubular version of the HED3 has won more time trials. I don't race at all but like to have top shelf stuff And by the way, so far I have hit many bumps and the Super 9's are perfect and holding up well. The only thing that I was not happy about is on one side of my brake track, I got a little more buildup of the carbon layer where as the exact opposite side I have no movement of the rim....ugg, but I guess it is within tolerance.

Last edited by: marathonrunner: Jul 11, 17 19:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me the multi-spoke wheels are just a PITA to me..for one I hate GPS speed so I like to use my garmin sensor.. where am I gonna put that on my H3 or my Corima. The are are also old and narrow.. so when I stick my training wheels on ( Enve 4.5s) I have to adjust the front brake on my BMC TM01.

If you are all about looks.. get the GT3 or Shimano Pro txtreme 3 spoke job and pair it with a Lightweight Autobahn disc and be like a World Tour rider. Just be ready to call UBER or LYFT when you get a flat. :) all kidding aside you have a nice looking Trek there.. if you wanna splurge on something upgrade to electronic shifting. Best thing I ever did to my TT bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The H3 Plus is wide as shit. Which is what he's asking about.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:
For me the multi-spoke wheels are just a PITA to me..for one I hate GPS speed so I like to use my garmin sensor.. where am I gonna put that on my H3 or my Corima. The are are also old and narrow.. so when I stick my training wheels on ( Enve 4.5s) I have to adjust the front brake on my BMC TM01.

If you are all about looks.. get the GT3 or Shimano Pro txtreme 3 spoke job and pair it with a Lightweight Autobahn disc and be like a World Tour rider. Just be ready to call UBER or LYFT when you get a flat. :) all kidding aside you have a nice looking Trek there.. if you wanna splurge on something upgrade to electronic shifting. Best thing I ever did to my TT bike.

I do want electronic shifting but etap is a no go for me. The blips according to some are hard to find and missed shifts are a problem. then add to the fact battery life is short no way. I like di2 but it is cheaper to buy it when bike already comes with it. Too add di2 would cost me 1000.oo not bad but I can't find a utube video that shows how to install on my trek.

The tubular gt3 definitely looks awesome but u are right if I get flat tire I am screwed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
since 9150 just came out.. 9070 and 6870 are pretty cheap... The new ultegra ui2 will be out soon and 6870 might even become cheaper... I don't regret going 9070 and see no reason I need to upgrade to 9150 with my current TT bike usage. Hand full of TTs and handful of Tri's.
Quote Reply
Re: HED H3 Plus Carbon Road Wheel Clincher [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

I said for "me".. I know he is talking about the H3+... I clearly stated my opinion on H3 and Corima 4spoke not being wide.. H3+ still does not solve my speed sensor gripe. H3+ being 25.5 and a Zipp 808 being roughly 26 so adjusting calipers might not be needed....but might have to change pads between alloy (H3+) and carbon (808) braking surfaces. I would be too lazy to swap and just use zipp approved carbon pads on the alloy wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:
since 9150 just came out.. 9070 and 6870 are pretty cheap... The new ultegra ui2 will be out soon and 6870 might even become cheaper... I don't regret going 9070 and see no reason I need to upgrade to 9150 with my current TT bike usage. Hand full of TTs and handful of Tri's.

Is there a utube video that shows how to install Di2 on a speed concept? I can't seem to find any. and I was looking at the HED GT3 and never thought I would consider tubular, but the H3 Plus I definitely don't want aluminum rims. I like the Tubular because it is lighter and better ride but how difficult is it to change a flat?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

I said for "me".. I know he is talking about the H3+... I clearly stated my opinion on H3 and Corima 4spoke not being wide.. H3+ still does not solve my speed sensor gripe. H3+ being 25.5 and a Zipp 808 being roughly 26 so adjusting calipers might not be needed....but might have to change pads between alloy (H3+) and carbon (808) braking surfaces. I would be too lazy to swap and just use zipp approved carbon pads on the alloy wheels.

Whoa! I thought the H3+ would be faster than a Zipp 808 but evidently your experience has been different. I am lead to believe the aluminum rim could be making wheel heavier and slower.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The ride is tire/tube related.. I think there are clincher tires and latex tube combinations that will feel as good as a top rated tubular. Tubular tires are not hard to change and probably can be done just as fast as a clincher with some practice, it's just you have to carry the tire with you thats the hassle (atleast for me). I try to carry as little as possible when I ride. I don't want to carry a pre-glued tubular with me.

I'm not a Trek SC guy... so I have no idea, but I'm sure someone on here has done it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marathonrunner wrote:
spntrxi wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

Whoa! I thought the H3+ would be faster than a Zipp 808 but evidently your experience has been different. I am lead to believe the aluminum rim could be making wheel heavier and slower.

don't miss-quote me.. I never said one wheel was faster or slower then the other. I'm just giving my opinion or trying to help...keep doing what you are doing and I won't offer it up anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marathonrunner wrote:
spntrxi wrote:

Is there a utube video that shows how to install Di2 on a speed concept? I can't seem to find any. and I was looking at the HED GT3 and never thought I would consider tubular, but the H3 Plus I definitely don't want aluminum rims. I like the Tubular because it is lighter and better ride but how difficult is it to change a flat?

Cut across the tire with a razor blade all the way down to the rim. Stick your finger inside the tire and peel it off like a snake.

Install a new tire dry and ride home carefully.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
H3+ still does not solve my speed sensor gripe.

just glue (or more precisely, use 2-part epoxy) a small rare-earth magnet to the rim. no different than a deep wheel.

you can also glue the magnet in the cutout for the valve.
Quote Reply
Re: HED H3 Plus Carbon Road Wheel Clincher [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tetonrider wrote:
spntrxi wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
H3+ still does not solve my speed sensor gripe.

just glue (or more precisely, use 2-part epoxy) a small rare-earth magnet to the rim. no different than a deep wheel.

you can also glue the magnet in the cutout for the valve.

Yikes a lot of work. Rumor has it bike shops charge a.fortune to do.this
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can use any video, there is nothing unique about the speed concept frame for di2. And an internal battery fits inside the speed concept seat post.
Quote Reply
Re: HED H3 Plus Carbon Road Wheel Clincher [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:
You can use any video, there is nothing unique about the speed concept frame for di2. And an internal battery fits inside the speed concept seat post.

I am sure I can get di2 on eBay for 850.00 which would pretty much be the icing on cake for me. Thought about the HED GT3 but it would be weird to have zipp super 9 in back where my present setup it matches my zipp 808 in front. I was scared to go with tubular but I can Uber home in f needed. The one concern I have is after I do all.this trek comes out with a new tri bike that is way cooler cause I think.they are due for a.redesign. but another factor to consider I don't race but like to go fast so maybe the gt3 would be better than shifters oh well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh really, do you have an 808 front wheel and a rear Super 9 on your Speed Concept that you use to go fast but not race?
I'm not sure you've mentioned that before...
Quote Reply
Re: HED H3 Plus Carbon Road Wheel Clincher [NUFCrichard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If he goes too fast no one will see the sexy legs though ... might have to rethink.
Last edited by: spntrxi: Jul 12, 17 5:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2-part epoxy is not rocket science. Another option might be to use Sugru. That stuff is becoming my new go-to for HillBilly fabrication projects.

To the OP, you haven't been keeping up on your Slowtwitch orthodoxy.
1. Nothing rolls as fast as a clincher.
2. Aluminum brake tracks are the best for rim brakes in terms of wet/dry braking performance and you don't need to swap brake pads going from training to racing wheels
3. The trispoke is likely a faster low-yaw wheel and has a lower watts to spin.

Number 3 hasn't quite been as well established as 1 and 2, but look at all the ProTour teams that have some or all of their top riders on non-sponsor correct Trispokes (BMC, Movistar, Trek, ...). These teams spend big bucks on testing and you have to figure they know a thing or two about going fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:
for one I hate GPS speed...upgrade to electronic shifting. Best thing I ever did to my TT bike.

Tech sucks and is awesome. LMAO
Last edited by: Xing triathlete: Jul 29, 17 17:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do you care? Everyone will be staring at your gorgeous legs anyway.
Quote Reply