Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Suunto Spartan
Quote | Reply
Hi all, has anyone been using any variation of the Spartan? There seem to be a wide range of opinions on the well known issues with software and so on. As I have a 7 month old, won't do any multi sport events over about 70.3 for a few years, and am expecting my 3rd replacement 920XT to die anytime now, I'm giving the Spartan Sport with wrist HR some thought.

Sister in law runs a lot of ultras with her Ambit 3 and I'm loving how comfortable it is. Thanks for any info from anyone that took the plunge on it.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Suunto Spartan [mongooseman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using the Spartan Sport WHR since it was released and have been, overall, pleased with it. I'd written a review of sorts after its first week and sent it back to Suunto for return, but a mix-up with the return shipping label landed it back on my doorstep the next day. So I kept it.

My conclusions from what I wrote back in April remain more or less unchanged; the backlight is still the biggest drawback of the Spartan series---especially since so much of my training is done in the dark. If that's not such a biggie for you, I'd say go for it.

#cureMS
Quote Reply
Re: Suunto Spartan [dseiler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for linking to your review - it made for interesting reading, particularly as I also have a Concept2 at home and would like to be able to have optical HR on the wrist for it...can you remember if Movescount links up to the C2 Logbook? Also, I'd be keen to hear your thoughts post- June/July software updates, if you've had a chance to look at the SSWHR/SSU running them.

Cheers
MM

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My indoor rower is from WaterRower, not Concept, so I'm unsure if it will link to their logbook. Traditionally, I've just manually edited rowing activities in Movescount that have been logged either by app or by the SSWHR.

I've not tried rowing since the most recent software update (in the midst of a cycling challenge put on by a local bike shop, so the bike/trainer get all of my attention) but will sometime next week. Of the most recent update, the interface for navigating settings has been improved, as has how quickly the WHR picks up heart rate.

If you've any other general or specific questins, drop a line back.

#cureMS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a diver and a big fan of Suunto watches, when my 910 died I looked in to getting a Spartan, I didn't like the 920, but most of the reviews of the Spartan seemed to like it but it fell down when it came to specific triathlon features.
Last edited by: zedzded: Jul 21, 17 14:24
Quote Reply
Re: Suunto Spartan [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most of the reviews I have seen have been on the Spartan Ultra, a noticeably different watch than the Sport.

Where the Sport lacks the battery life of the Ultra, it does sport Finnish (versus Chinese) construction, as well as adds the wrist-based heart rate. Additionally, the Sport has not crashed or given any of the other numerous issues reported by Ultra owners—at least not that I've experienced.

Not to discount the Garmin 920 (it's a great product with excellent features—indeed, it's working out for you), but I just prefer Suunto's design and execution of their products...Spartan Ultra not withstanding.

#cureMS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dseiler wrote:
Most of the reviews I have seen have been on the Spartan Ultra, a noticeably different watch than the Sport.

Where the Sport lacks the battery life of the Ultra, it does sport Finnish (versus Chinese) construction, as well as adds the wrist-based heart rate. Additionally, the Sport has not crashed or given any of the other numerous issues reported by Ultra owners—at least not that I've experienced.

Not to discount the Garmin 920 (it's a great product with excellent features—indeed, it's working out for you), but I just prefer Suunto's design and execution of their products...Spartan Ultra not withstanding.

Actually the reviews I read weren't poor (I've edited my post)more of a case that it missed some triathlon features that the 920 had. And yeah great quality watch and great looking in comparison to the 920XT. I ended up buying the Fenix5, not as well constructed as a Suunto, but feels more premium than the 920XT and 935XT.
Quote Reply
Re: Suunto Spartan [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was seriously considering the Spartan WHR, then Amazon had a great deal on Prime day for the Fenix 3HR, since I have an Edge 800 and Vivoactive HR and never had any issues, I decided to go with the Fenix 3HR. I've been using it daily with no problems. The Suunto does look a little nicer IMO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many thanks for this (same to everyone who has answered!). Do you have any further thoughts on the Ultra? I was leaning toward the Sport with wrist HR and using a belt with it for races and most of my running, but if the wrist HR is really that unreliable, perhaps the Ultra is a better call. Someone mentioned a difference in construction...have you noticed any particular quality difference?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From what I've read, you'lll want to stay clear of the Ultra.

I've had zero issues with my Sport in the several months I've been using it, including wrist HR. WHR seems accurate enough for training & racing at the AG level (it works fine for me, and the HR was spot on during a recent physical), so the belt *might* improve battery life a bit (turning off 24/7 HR on the Sport, as well as adjusting GPS accuracy, and/or switching to a no-color display will also help), but no other real reason to use one, IMO. Additionally, it's possible to charge the watch while wearing it with a USB battery pack; generic charging clips are available through Amazon for ~$10.

Overall, my fondness for the Spartan Sport WHR has really grown, especially over this summer. It's become my go-to training partner, so an update to my "review" will certainly be in order.

Hope this helped.

#cureMS
Last edited by: dseiler: Aug 4, 17 19:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very much! Thanks :) target use is SwimRun Bay of Islands in April. A pal with the Fenix 5X has been less than blown away quality wise so I'm keen to give Suunto a go.

Quote Reply