Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HR as it relates to my bike and running?
Quote | Reply
Just looking for some insight as to my HR when biking and running. 51yo, male, 5'10" 170lbs, been doing this for a couple years, train about 10 to 12 hours week.
When I run at what I feel is a moderate pace my HR is around 160, which is around an 8min mile, I can go 10 miles at this pace and usually do once a week, to go much faster, say a 7:45 pace my HR usually goes around 172-175, this is high effort for me.
For biking my FTP is 247, my HR is much lower on the bike but the effort level feels high, for example, 1 hour plus at 200 watts average my HR is 130-135 but the effort level is high similar to running around an 8 minute mile. A more comfortable 175 watt average power my HR is 5-10 beats slower but the effort level feels more comfortable and sustainable for longer distances.
I would suspect I need to work a little more on the bike, not sure there is much room for improvement on the run. Recently did a HIM just under 5:40, which I was happy with, did IMMD last year where the swim was cancelled, the bike was shortened and the run was a disaster with the flooded course, finished it in around 11:20 but didn't put much effort in the run due to conditions.
Thanks for any feedback.
Quote Reply
Re: HR as it relates to my bike and running? [MacCTD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in my 50's also and I have have found that getting better and faster on the bike has also me to get my HR up higher. In a sprint my bike and run HR are about the same. Years ago, I couldn't get my HR up as high on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: HR as it relates to my bike and running? [MacCTD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty simple really, in funning you fight gravity and pounding so your HR is higher for a PE. In cycling it feels harder because you are not strong enough to push yourself as hard as you do running, so lower HR for same PE.

Get stronger on the bike and they will begin to come closer together, the very best athletes have the same HR's on the bike as they do the run. People that come from cycling backgrounds have the opposite problem, they are stronger on the bike and have higher HR's there than running..
Quote Reply