Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What's in your toolbox?
Quote | Reply
I was doing some work in the garage yesterday, and decided to reorganize my bike toolbox - this is the toolbox I bring to races in case there is a last minute emergency. As I was going through it - adding and removing tools and spare parts, I started to thing about what I was missing. Here is a list of what I have, let me know if I am missing something.

Chain Whip
Cassette/BB tool
Torque Wrench
Metric allen socket set
Assorted small allen wrenches
Channel Lock pliers
Small crescent wrench
Medium size wire cutters
Cable housing cutters
Tire levers
Flat head screwdriver
Phillips head screwdriver
Spoke wrench/Presta valve tool
Ksyrium spoke wrench and alignment tool.

Spare tube
Patch kit
11/23 or 13/26 cassette
Bar-end plugs
1 roll handlebar tape
Adhesive Velcro strips
Velcro straps
Electrical tape
Assorted zip ties
Rubber gloves
Shop rag
"Dry" lube
"Wet" lube
Grease
De-greaser
Old toothbrush
Quote Reply
Re: What's in your toolbox? [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless you solder the ends of your cable (I use a metal epoxy on mine to seal the ends), you need some cable crimps. I would also recommend cables (both mech and shift) if you are going to keep that complete of a kit. A chain tool would be a good addition, as well as any chainpins or what have you (depending on the brand of chain you use). Add a pump, a CO2 inflator and spare CO2s, as well. I would also get an Ultimate repair stand and a stay or fork mounted truing device (they are cheap and you can true the wheel on the bike) if you're going to keep that complete of a raceday emergency kit.

Good onya for thinking to do that. Not every race has a mechanic to handle raceday catastrophes, and few racers think to do that themselves. You could become someone's hero, as well.
Quote Reply
Re: What's in your toolbox? [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have quite an extensive set of tools since in other times in my life was into racing automobiles, go-carts and restoring/selling British classic sports cars. But I prefer to keep most of the tools in the garage.

For a multi-purpose bike tool that can be carried with you on any ride I'd give the Topeak Alien a five star rating. http://www.nashbar.com/...retype=&estoreid=
Quote Reply