Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Old School Triathletes: Did You Race a Slingshot in the 90s? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
I have 2 sets of 650c HEDs, Jet front with a Jet DEEP rear, and another set with a Jet front and Disc rear

Yeah, I was a HED guy and still have all those wheels too. If I don't find the Spinergy set I want, I'll probably go slap mine on. Assuming I can still get 650 tubulars somewhere.
Thanks anyway! Beside, I hear all of your wheels have scorch marks. ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Old School Triathletes: Did You Race a Slingshot in the 90s? [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tridork wrote:
When I first entered triathlon, like many, I rode a road bike with aerobars.
I lusted longingly after several bikes.
1. Slingshot
2. Softride
3. QR Kilo

I almost got a Slingshot, but Slowman sold me a QR Special Edition (steel version of the Kilo) at such a great price that I lept at it instead.

I still lust after adding the Slingshot and/or Softride to my growing collection.

With a Slingshot, Spinergies are the way to go. Nothing modern of course. Do NOT go with any of the first generation of their 4 pairs of carbon tape, wheels. I know of too many of them where the carbon spokes sheared at the hub, catastrophically. Go with the second gen (appear almost identical) that had some rivets at the hub. Those were much better wheels. I have a friend that still rides his Gen2 spinergies from time to time.

For aerobars, the Syntace C2 (get size large if you have a choice) were a popular back then. Oh yeah, 8sp Gripshift was the 'go to' option.

Thanks tridork for the info about Spinergy wheels. It's good to know that wheel failure isn't necessarily a given for 2nd gen wheels. Yep, I still have C2s and some lightly used GripShifts.
Quote Reply
Re: Old School Triathletes: Did You Race a Slingshot in the 90s? [The Herminator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Thanks tridork for the info about Spinergy wheels. It's good to know that wheel failure isn't necessarily a given for 2nd gen wheels. Yep, I still have C2s and some lightly used GripShifts.[/quote]
A buddy of mine was riding Gen 1, at speed, down a long steep hill not far from here. When he got to the bottom at over 80kph, the slight increase in weight on the wheel made it shear off the hub, completely, in about 2 revs of the front wheel. Yes he went to hospital. That was about 1995 or so.

Another time, at the ITU race here in Auckland in early 1997, I watched a pro male (I forget who it was) shear the spokes at the hub, as he cornered during the race. As he was in a budgie smuggler and a crop top, he came of rather badly. The road won, that day.

I'm sure other wheels fail, but in my 25 odd years of racing, the first gen of Spinergy RevX's seemed to have the highest failure rate for sure

HED 3's (I had a 650C set) are pretty much bombproof, but I don't think I've ever seen a set that would be considered properly true. Even I can true a spoked wheel to better than a HED 3.

RevX and HED 3 really do make people notice that you've got a bike with really cool wheels. (same for Slingshot's and Softrides)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Old School Triathletes: Did You Race a Slingshot in the 90s? [The Herminator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Campy Shamal 650s. I augmented that later with Zipp 404 tubs and an Xlab disc. I raced appropriately in a speedo and man-bra, though "appropriate" is in the eye of the beholder.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
J-Disk...after holing my pal's wheel covering, with the non-structural mylar covering, he just stuck a piece of packing tape over the damage.

Another friend of mine also has a Slingshot collecting dust in his basement. Probably hasn't ridden it for 20 years.
Last edited by: Overdistance: Aug 1, 17 8:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sold a bunch of them when I had my shop Steve's Multisport.

Almost everyone of them went out with Spinergy Wheels or Hed 3's.

Interesting design, they had something there but not enough to keep them going.

Steven Harad
Quote Reply
Re: Old School Triathletes: Did You Race a Slingshot in the 90s? [sorelegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks again for all the opinions. I thought you might like an update on what I'm doing based on your suggestions.

I found some Spinergy wheels and decided to build a mock-up for size with a seat post, saddle, and some GripShifts as well. I think this frame (16") is going to be on the small side for me, but I'm still going to try it out at some point. I was lucky it came with a high rise Salsa threadless stem (1") or else I wouldn't even be close. In the meantime, I'll keep my eyes open for an 18" or 20" frame.

This first photo is the bike as it was when I bought it:

This second photo shows a mock-up based on your suggestions and parts I have:

I think it's looking good. Thanks for the input.
Quote Reply

Prev Next