Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sunglasses or Shield on Bike
Quote | Reply
Currently having a dilemma between going with new sunglasses or a new helmet with a shield when on the bike.

My problem comes from my sunglasses rim being right in the middle of my line of sight when on the bike. I have a fairly comfortable position of keep my head somewhat pointed down and then just looking up with my eyes. This keeps my head tucked down (more aero) but then the rim of my sunglasses is right in the way so I either look over them or push my head up a little father to see better which gives me neck pain after a while.

I've been considering the Giro Air Attack as it seems like I wouldn't have as much of an obstructed view and could position my head better but I've heard that the aero advantage of that helmet isn't great.

Any advice on which direction to go?
Quote Reply
Re: Sunglasses or Shield on Bike [jinskeep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I solved that problem by using Smith Pivlock sunglasses. No rim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suspect it depends on the helmet, Arrowhead? Visor. But you can pursue rimless sunglasses. Haven't bought a pointy hat that has a visor yet, but I always use rimless glasses on the Shiv.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem with my old Oakleys. Then I also switched to Smith Pivlocks. Problem solved. (at least for the sunglasses option, I've never ridden a helmet with a shield)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my Giro Aerohead...except that the visor complete fogged during this weekend's soupy humidity at a local sprint. It was so bad it was a safety issue, so I flipped the visor up on the helmet for 1/2 the bike.

But glasses also fog. The only difference is that a tilt down to get airflow over them usually clears the problem. There was not solving the Aerohead visor issue I was having.

Other than that, I really love the completely open field of view. Better than any pair of glasses I've ever had when in a decent aero position.
Quote Reply