Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zwift
Quote | Reply
Does anyone use Zwift for their indoor training? I'm debating between using it or Trainer Road. I have a smart trainer and kind of like the video game appeal of zwift. However, I here that Trainer Road is better for straight up training.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift [nikon12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been doing a lot of Zwift lately due to trying to get my training done early. I only used trainer road for a little while because I had some coupon for it (it was a long time ago). Your assessment is spot on...TR has a much better catalog of workouts and even programs that you can do. Zwift has some workouts but not many programs and the selection is much lower. Having said that, I find it much more enjoyable than TR due to the "video game appeal," as you said. To me it offers both workouts for during the week, and a way to make my weekend 2:45 indoor ride bearable. (trust me I would rather have been outside, but the kids had events so I had to get my ride in well before the sun came up)
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift [ale_ers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gotcha, good to know. I just moved so my commute is over an hour so I don't have as much time to bike outdoors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use Zwift for my indoor training, and the majority of the time am doing the organized races (anywhere from about 40 minutes to 2+ hours duration).

The races are fun (and also pretty competitive, depending upon time of day/category raced).

Yes, there are the occasional "flyers", but they typically get called out.

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alot of times I do both at the same time. I run the trainer in ERG mode on Trainer Road, but also run Zwift through a different dongle, but NOT in FE controllable trainer mode. I realize Zwift also has a workout mode, but I find TR and it's workout creator interface better. Best of both worlds. Easy workout selection(TR), and something to watch(Zwift).
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift [Technobuyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Technobuyer wrote:
Alot of times I do both at the same time. I run the trainer in ERG mode on Trainer Road, but also run Zwift through a different dongle, but NOT in FE controllable trainer mode. I realize Zwift also has a workout mode, but I find TR and it's workout creator interface better. Best of both worlds. Easy workout selection(TR), and something to watch(Zwift).

I do the same. Except fpr ftp test then only TR, just if something messes up. Best of both worlds. Tr much better structured workouts but zwift more fun and engaging. For off season just to keep fitness alove i think i would do zwift only and try to get some achivements or PR. ideally zwift would merge with Tr.
But really if you only wamt one
Zwift: more fun and engaging, less structure.
Tr: 100% focus og getting you in better shape.
Last edited by: lassekk: Jul 11, 17 2:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, I live in a place where riding outside is not much of an option, unless I want to go back and forth on a 5k loop, so I ride a ton on Zwift. I have used TR, BKool, Tour de Giro, Virtual Training, and Road Grand Tours, as well. To me, it really is based on your personality and needed input.

TR is great for workouts, but I found the lack of stimulus to be too much for longer sessions. If you can handle following the line, it's for you.

Zwift is pretty close to TR in workout mode. Sometimes I erg, and sometimes I work on my efficiency by trying to stay right on the target. What separates the two for me are the video game and social aspects. I rode Monday with a Zwift buddy. It was a tough workout, but we just changed his weight, so we could stay together in game. It was just like doing a workout with a comparable peer outdoors, without the downsides. The workout mode continues to get better, and it is pretty easy to use. Outside of the workout mode, the racing and group riding is a blast. Some groups use an app called Discord to chat during easy group rides or to coordinate tactics during races. It definitely makes things a lot more entertaining. I just did three hours this last weekend with no thoughts of smashing my head into my handlebars like in the pre-zwift trainer days for me.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. You will find plenty of haters here, so get ready for that. PM if you have any Zwift questions or want to link up with a group.

https://www.endurancelab.fit
https://www.teamodz.com
https://discuss.endurancelab.fit
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift [ianm98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to take away from Zwift, but it has a long way to go to catch up to TR in terms of workouts...It has made a ton of progress with a number of coaching additions building training programs within Zwift. On the contrast, TR can't touch Zwift in terms of entertainment, social rides, boredom.

That being said, ideally you run them both, cost you $20 a month...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I'd agree with most other comments so far. Zwift provides stimulation which for me is what's most lacking on the trainer. Whether TR has a better workout library or not is pretty irrelevant to me. What's relevant is that Zwift makes indoor training tolerable, even satisfying. I think the psychological aspect is extremely important, especailly if you intend to train indoors regularly.

I generally put together my own workouts rather than using those available from the library. But I'd probably do the same if I was using TR. I don't particularly like the Zwift workout builder. It's fine for simple stuff but for more complex or repetitive intervals or for adding notes, etc, I find it a bit clumsy to use. It does work fine once you've got the workout generated. It's just more labour intensive than necessary with fairly limited and slightly glitchy drag and drop interface. I'd prefer the option of a more text based builder that let you do things quicker, more precisely and more flexibly. You can edit workouts as text files which I occasionally do but this isn't ideal either as you can't check everything is right without going back into Zwift and it really all needs to be in Zwift, or a separate editor that allows you edit in a text based format but checks and displays the workout graphically alongside.

I'd never done much training indoors until last October. I'd given it a go but always found it interminably boring. Okay for a session here or there when unavoidable, but not an acceptable regular occurance. Then last October I wanted to increase my riding volume, ensure consistency and do some proper interval training for at least 4 or 5 months. I knew that was unlikely to be consistent and time effective if I relied on getting outside in the evenings through winter. I've done it before, but when it's dark, the weather's bad or there's lots of junctions to interrupt your rhythm, it's tough to get a good targeted session in sometimes. So I started using Zwift and found that it made a huge difference. I typically did two hard trainer sessions in the evening during the week. Either both threshold/VO2max sessions or I'd make one of them a group ride or race to keep things interesting. I'd also throw in additional lower intensity rides when time permitted. Long rides remained outdoors at the weekends except for a couple of occasions when circumstances put me on the trainer. Max length session on the trainer to date has been 3hrs and that was riding with a friend (in the same room & on Zwift) so we could have a chat. Even so, 3hrs on a trainer is NOT my idea of fun, Zwift or otherwise!
Anyway, I found Zwift a made a big difference
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift [ianm98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianm98 wrote:
Unfortunately, I live in a place where riding outside is not much of an option, unless I want to go back and forth on a 5k loop, so I ride a ton on Zwift. I have used TR, BKool, Tour de Giro, Virtual Training, and Road Grand Tours, as well. To me, it really is based on your personality and needed input.

TR is great for workouts, but I found the lack of stimulus to be too much for longer sessions. If you can handle following the line, it's for you.

Zwift is pretty close to TR in workout mode. Sometimes I erg, and sometimes I work on my efficiency by trying to stay right on the target. What separates the two for me are the video game and social aspects. I rode Monday with a Zwift buddy. It was a tough workout, but we just changed his weight, so we could stay together in game. It was just like doing a workout with a comparable peer outdoors, without the downsides. The workout mode continues to get better, and it is pretty easy to use. Outside of the workout mode, the racing and group riding is a blast. Some groups use an app called Discord to chat during easy group rides or to coordinate tactics during races. It definitely makes things a lot more entertaining. I just did three hours this last weekend with no thoughts of smashing my head into my handlebars like in the pre-zwift trainer days for me.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. You will find plenty of haters here, so get ready for that. PM if you have any Zwift questions or want to link up with a group.

I echo these comments. Just completed a workout with a friend on Zwift - 20x1' @ 135% FTP. I would have stopped after 10 intervals but having a rider to share the suffering with made me keep going. I do maintain my TR subscription due to the training plans and I either build the TR workout for myself in Zwift or find a comparable workout to keep honest with the training plans.

Additionally, there are many more workouts on whatsonzwift.com that can be downloaded.

http://www.teamodz.com
http://www.endurancelab.fit
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
I generally put together my own workouts rather than using those available from the library. But I'd probably do the same if I was using TR. I don't particularly like the Zwift workout builder. It's fine for simple stuff but for more complex or repetitive intervals or for adding notes, etc, I find it a bit clumsy to use.

Yeah the workout builder is a bit of a pain.

I now use TrainingPeaks to build workouts (stream out in .zwo for zwift), or bestbikesplit for course power simulations.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift [SteveM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use this 3rd party Zwift workout creator. You can also manually edit workout files using a text editor as they are really basic and easy to understand.

http://zwofactory.com/

Most of the time I have Trainerroad running on my tablet using one of their workouts in ERG mode to control my smart trainer via bluetooth. Then Zwift on my computer picking up my power meter data via ANT+. At the end of the workout if I want some more time I'll then get Zwift to control my trainer and run in SIM mode.

Winter here in New Zealand so I'm doing everything indoors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Zwift and just ride 2x20 minutes at FTP, or 15x1 minute above FTP with 1 minute for recovery if I'm feeling well, or 2 minutes if legs are shot. Using the in-game clock.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jumping in from Zwift HQ here...

We hear ya... Working on building out training plans and workout selection all the time, partnering with top coaches including Kevin Poulton (World Tour Coach) and QT2 systems... and more.

The Zwift workout builder is pretty easy to use so you can make your own workouts or download a structured workout file (from your coach?) from Training Peaks via ZWO files. (How to upload a ZWO file to Zwift here.... again, working on making more seamless!). Also a +1 for WhatsOnZwift.com... some of my personal favorites have come from here.

So anyhoo...just wanted to let you all know we're adding more and more with every update.

(P.S. Just released a 4week FTP Booster Plan from Kevin Poulton. Sooooooo if you're not doing anything for the next month....)

Ride On!
Emily
Quote Reply