Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

looking for New York City Tri logistics advice
Quote | Reply
Trying to figure out logistics for this upcoming weekend event....first time doing race. Will be either driving or taking train from Philly area and staying at Renaissance 57 Hotel so not within walking distance of venue. Is there any parking around transition on Saturday for bike drop off? How best to get to venue on race day morning....will have family so looking for alternative to athlete only shuttle on race morning. If take train, how best to get bike to transition on Saturday? Any help regarding how to get around from you experienced NYC participants is much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: looking for New York City Tri logistics advice [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure about parking but in any case I'd recommend settling into your hotel and then riding your bike up to transition. Its very safe to do so on the West Side bike path, it will also give you the chance to check everything is in good shape before the race. Remember to have you bike in an easy gear for coming out of transition - the hill catches a lot of people out.

I did the race in 2014 and 2015 and just took an Uber both times since I wasn't staying near the race hotel, worked a charm and was pretty stress free. You can get out at transition, go set all your stuff up then walk up with your family the mile or so to swim start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it's by far the easiest to bike to transition on saturday and then take a cab or uber back to your hotel. parking isn't great around the transition area and other cars will be looking for the few (if any) open spots. if you think that's a pain, wait until you go to get your bike in transition AFTER the race and realize that you are over a mile away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As it looks like R57 hotel is on the east side, ride through Central Park (enter 5th/59th, ride north and turn left at 72nd transverse), you can ride through there to the 72nd transverse and cross 72nd til you get to transition, easy. And on the way back just look for the M72 bus, may take a bit longer than a cab but at under $3 vs. $15-$20 for a cab that's a win. Picking up the bike post-race, if you don't want to ride it back to the hotel may be a pain but if you can ride it, same easy route back.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the race a few years ago, and rode my bike to transition for the drop off. It was easier than I expected, but I needed a small backpack to swap my shoes and carry my helmet after I was finished.

On race morning it was raining and I took an uber or a taxi and was dropped off fairly close.

After the race I had a friend with a car wait with hazards on while I brought the bike up, but could do the same with an Uber XL, or ride the bike back to where you are going.

Good luck! I loved the race, despite the complicated logistics to figure out back then when I was fairly new to tris.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cynthia
Blog: http://yousignedupforwhat.com/ Twitter: http://twitter.com/yousignedup FB: http://www.facebook.com/yousignedupforwhat IG: http://instagram.com/yousignedupforwhat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for the advice. Looks like I'll take a first ever ride through Central Park to transition on Saturday. Looking forward to the event as the swim was cancelled at Philly a couple weeks ago. Also, any input regarding what appears to be a long run from swim out to (yellow) transition....think it's worth leaving shoes there to put on for the run?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you've got sensitive feet, sure. But it's like any long transition run, just longer, and honestly, you aren't thinking about your feet. You are thinking about how gross that water was. Just wait till you see your photos coming out of the water.

I'll be out there cheering people on, but I don't like to do the race anymore: overpriced and they screwed me on a guaranteed entry a few years ago. It's a good one to do to get a ridiculously fast Oly time for your Athlinks account, but that's about it.
Quote Reply
Re: looking for New York City Tri logistics advice [toebutt769] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't remember the run out of the swim being that long although I last did it in 2012 so maybe it changed a bit. As far as the water, it looked like my wife had a goatee with all the dirt on her face when she got out of the swim.
Quote Reply