This is going to end badly...

http://gizmodo.com/...ing-crisi-1796745226

At least it's not a cemetery

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Building houses on a dump? What could go wrong. [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A San Diego neighborhood that I lived in back in the 1990s was built on a municipal solid waste dump like the one in the link. It had methane vents to abate the gases and a portion of the area was not able to be developed and was left for the native plants to cover. It affected the housing prices for a while but eventually the California effect did its thing and those houses became just as expensive as houses in other areas.

If the caps over the waste are well constructed and the vents are properly maintained, the fact that there is waste below should not be a major problem unless something unexpected happens. The problem is California is know for unexpected problems, even when those unexpected problems have happened before.

An earthquake comes to mind; what will happen to the landfill caps when it gets that kind of stressors? What will happen when the landfill shifts down the incline, because nearly every speck of land from the beach to the desert in So Cal is on an incline and very little is flat that is not a flood plain.
Quote Reply
Re: Building houses on a dump? What could go wrong. [vecchia capra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The old goat is right.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Building houses on a dump? What could go wrong. [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
jkca1 wrote:
This is going to end badly...

http://gizmodo.com/...ing-crisi-1796745226

At least it's not a cemetery

That's awesome. I saw that movie when I was something like 8 years old and it scared the shit out of me. Didn't sleep for weeks!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Building houses on a dump? What could go wrong. [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Alberta the city would have been required to replace the lost wetlands. We're not allowed to just plunk dirt & debris just willy nilly to suit our own needs.
Quote Reply

Prev Next