Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cola on an olympic distance bike?
Quote | Reply
Since coke is so great on long course tri runs, would it work for the oly bike and run? I've got an oly race in a couple of weeks and am considering swapping my gatorade bottle for flat coke. I also thought I'd try carrying one of those tiny hand held bottles (10-12 oz) with flat coke on the run. Has anyone tried this? Is the lack of sodium a problem in a 2-2.5 hour race?
Quote Reply
Re: Cola on an olympic distance bike? [natewalsh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nah, too short of a race to worry. I just drink water

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Water works great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
natewalsh wrote:
Since coke is so great on long course tri runs, would it work for the oly bike and run? I've got an oly race in a couple of weeks and am considering swapping my gatorade bottle for flat coke. I also thought I'd try carrying one of those tiny hand held bottles (10-12 oz) with flat coke on the run. Has anyone tried this? Is the lack of sodium a problem in a 2-2.5 hour race?

I used Mountain Dew on the bike in a recent olympic. I don't drink coffee regularly so I feel it when I do. I take a cup of coffee and hour before my races and I think the Dew gave me another boost for the run.

You should also have water with you on the bike.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mix water and Coke half-and-half for the bike bottle, that approximates an osmolytic balance (absorbs from stomach faster). It works better than anything else I've tried for the bike drink, but of course that might just be because I'm used to it.
A can of Coke has 15mg of sodium vs 150mg for an equivalent amount of Gatorade. I've never felt the lack but ymmv.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is absolutely no detriment to using coke on the bike and run in an oly. The question is to whether it gives you benefits over something else? I don't know - but try using it and form your own opinion :-)

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply