Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Logistics questions about ITU Edmonton race (for those that have done this before)
Quote | Reply
First time doing this race, and looking for some info/tips so I'll have a better idea what to expect.

1) Are bike rack positions assigned?

2) Apparently you can do the bike drop on the Friday afternoon, the day before the race. Is parking at the venue even feasible given that the only parking lot seems to be the age group transition area? Is the expectation that we park in the car park they recommend and take the shuttle with our bikes? Or just walk/ride with our bikes? How far away is it? My concern is that my partner has some mobility issues - while I could just do all this myself, she would like to be part of the process.

3) Post race, once I've collected my bike, should I be planning to take the shuttle, walk to the car park, or is there a secret place where someone can wait for me with my car?

4) The Athlete Handbook speaks of wetsuit tattoos. What's the deal with these - we're supposed to stick something to our wetsuits? Is this mandatory? Can't imagine it's good for the wetsuit.

4) Any other tips to make the experience a little easier?
Quote Reply
Re: Logistics questions about ITU Edmonton race (for those that have done this before) [MEW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've raced edmonton 3 times. The last at the grand final in 2014

1. Likely. They were in '14 at least
2. Parking isn't feasible. I always rode my bike down and racked it after parking at the U of A. Take the shuttle back
3. Bike back to your car
4. Yes.. wetsuit tattoos. It looks strange. But did no damage to wetsuit at all. Im still using it

Team Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Logistics questions about ITU Edmonton race (for those that have done this before) [MEW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I competed in 2016.

1) Yes
2) If your partner has mobility issues there's a chance you could get parking closer to transition. Email the race director. Otherwise, there's a perfectly good shuttle to take you to and from the parking lot in the U of A. I took my bike on board each time. U of A is about 2km away from transition.
3) yes, take the shuttle. See above
4) Don't remember those!
5)Make sure to sight on the swim. I remember lots of people not sticking close to the buoys as they were going around them. It's extra meters you don't need to swim.
It's a relatively long jog back to transition; they have mats down but watch your feet regardless!
They're quite strict on access to transition post-race so be prepared to wait around for a while after the race while you wait for it to open again. i.e. bring extra clothes and a picnic or something!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did it go ? That rain had me worried. I was 9th in the Sprint (AG 2nd). Water was perfect.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Logistics questions about ITU Edmonton race (for those that have done this before) [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fifth in my age group (standard), so qualified for worlds I guess. Just need to find someone to give me enough money to pay for the trip :-/

I swear that pond had more chlorine in it than the pool at my YMCA.

Turns out if you show up shortly after 11 AM on Friday, you can find the odd parking spot to unload. Made things a lot easier.

The rain made race morning a LOT more stressful. We had almost arrived at the parkade when we realized it was really coming down hard, and drove back to the hotel to get a jacket for me and an umbrella for her. Parking was a bit of a mess - the race info needs to be really clear about use of this special code on the pay machines. I'm very grateful to one of the volunteers who helped me.

Watching the pros was great.

Only thing that went wrong was at the end of the day when we went to catch the shuttle back to the parkade. A volunteer rolled up to say that they weren't running yet and we needed to walk halfway up the hill. He was wrong - we ended up walking the full distance to the parkade because buses were rolling by completely full. Fortunately I had already taken the bike and race stuff back to the car so we weren't carrying too much.
Quote Reply