Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What do you want to see on the next Specialized Shiv? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Road.cc thinks it's a HED wheel

http://road.cc/...n-cavendish-and-more

That looks like a logo-less HED on the back of Matteo Trentin’s Specialized Shiv too. The rest of the Quick Step’s wheels are from Roval.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: What do you want to see on the next Specialized Shiv? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To be honest, I don't think that Specialized are pushing discs any more than any other manufacturers.

They've certainly garnered a bit of attention amongst pro racing because a few notable incidents have happened on Specialized disc-braked bikes, both good (e.g. big wins for Boonen and Kittel amongst others) and bad (e.g. Owain Doull's shoes!). However, there are still LOTS of pros riding rim-braked bikes from Specialized and from a consumer standpoint nearly the entire Specialized range is still available in rim-brake format; that's not really "pushing disc brakes" it's giving people a choice. The same certainly can't be said of other manufacturers who have switched entire model ranges over to disc-only options e.g. off the top of my head, Giant with the Defy.

Furthermore, I think it's clear that Specialized still prioritise the non-disc models more highly than disc-specific models; the Venge ViAS was released a year before a disc-brake option was available and arguably in response to all the complaints about how crap the proprietary rim brakes were; the new Tarmac has been announced as being available imminently with the disc-version only available in early 2018 at the earliest; the newly redesigned Allez doesn't even have a disc-brake option planned as far as I'm aware! If there ever is a new Shiv (and I certainly don't think there'll be one this year), I think a disc-specific option will be even slower coming.

None of this strikes me as "Specialized pushing disc brakes" as people are so fond of stating; they're pushing "sales" as every manufacturer in their right mind would and disc-brake models are a small, but growing part of that. I think a large part of this perception is that people fixates on any news involving a disc-braked bike because they think ones going to come and shred their wheel collection and steal their wife. If anyone can point to any evidence of the contrary I'd like to see it.
Last edited by: awenborn: Jul 11, 17 8:54
Quote Reply
Re: What do you want to see on the next Specialized Shiv? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's not a Stinger... or any other HED that I'm aware of. HEDs don't have that segmented appearance as they're basically spoked wheels with a one piece carbon cover epoxied on. That wheel appears to have a foam core of some sort... which doesn't necessarily mean it's an in-house wheel. Plenty of people make wheels with foam cores.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Road.cc thinks it's a HED wheel

http://road.cc/...n-cavendish-and-more

That looks like a logo-less HED on the back of Matteo Trentin’s Specialized Shiv too. The rest of the Quick Step’s wheels are from Roval.

I think Road.cc is wrong on this.

AFAIK, Hed does not offer a lenticular disc. From the pic above, that appears to be a wheel with structural carbon, not a spoked wheel w/ a carbon cover (what Hed does, right?).

I can see Specialized updating the Shiv w/ a disc brake version, and a rim-brake version. Just like they did w/ the Venge ViAS (designed for DB, re-designed and launched w/ rim-brake; re-launched w/ DB.).

I'm happy to be proven wrong on the unbranded wheel, and the bike(s) that Spec. brings to market.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: Jul 11, 17 9:49
Quote Reply
Re: What do you want to see on the next Specialized Shiv? [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I don't think anyone knows yet. Nothing is showing up on the Roval site yet either.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: What do you want to see on the next Specialized Shiv? [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
BryanD wrote:
I knew I forgot something. Perhaps an adjustable stem like the P5-X unless there is a patent on it

1. Yep, that stem was going to be my suggestion. I'd like to see the minimum stem height and max length be 1cm less and more than on the current P5x to accommodate aggressive positions.
2. I'd very, very much like to see the bladder take 2L of fluid
3. proprietary aerobars more aero than the Premier Tactical and Tririg bars, and stock extensions with the rise of the Zipp Vuka Evo 110's
4. A high quality, no BS white paper showing that the bike is more aero than the P5x with 2L (3 bottles) of fluids and a flat kit on board.
5. Stock shorter cranks: 170 on the large, 165 on the medium, 162.5 on the small
6. make a 650c XS frame
7. (could rank higher) work with SRAM (like they work with Fox/Rock Shox on proprietary shocks) to take the 3T idea further: 13sp rear cassette on the XDR freehub, with SRAM releasing software upgrade to allow etap to shift over 13 cogs. And with that, no FD hanger
8. And LIGHT (relatively), as in the Sworks capable of being fully built up with 80mm rims at most 18lb

OK, 3rd day of Bikerumor posting pics from the big S home office... hope this means something's about to be unveiled! With new Tarmac, Roubaix, Hardrock, Epic, the only thing left is the Shiv. https://www.bikerumor.com/...e-racers-dirt-bikes/

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Last edited by: milesthedog: Jul 19, 17 11:13
Quote Reply
Re: What do you want to see on the next Specialized Shiv? [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
milesthedog wrote:
BryanD wrote:
I knew I forgot something. Perhaps an adjustable stem like the P5-X unless there is a patent on it

1. Yep, that stem was going to be my suggestion. I'd like to see the minimum stem height and max length be 1cm less and more than on the current P5x to accommodate aggressive positions.
2. I'd very, very much like to see the bladder take 2L of fluid
3. proprietary aerobars more aero than the Premier Tactical and Tririg bars, and stock extensions with the rise of the Zipp Vuka Evo 110's
4. A high quality, no BS white paper showing that the bike is more aero than the P5x with 2L (3 bottles) of fluids and a flat kit on board.
5. Stock shorter cranks: 170 on the large, 165 on the medium, 162.5 on the small
6. make a 650c XS frame
7. (could rank higher) work with SRAM (like they work with Fox/Rock Shox on proprietary shocks) to take the 3T idea further: 13sp rear cassette on the XDR freehub, with SRAM releasing software upgrade to allow etap to shift over 13 cogs. And with that, no FD hanger
8. And LIGHT (relatively), as in the Sworks capable of being fully built up with 80mm rims at most 18lb

OK, 3rd day of Bikerumor posting pics from the big S home office... hope this means something's about to be unveiled! With new Tarmac, Roubaix, Hardrock, Epic, the only thing left is the Shiv. https://www.bikerumor.com/...e-racers-dirt-bikes/

They have also updated the crux and the diverge this year. Its like the 12 days of Christmas in Morgan Hill this summer.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you want to see on the next Specialized Shiv? [mdgreene] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdgreene wrote:
Its like the 12 days of Christmas in Morgan Hill this summer.

But with little Timmy not getting that new leg for christmas. C'mon Big S! give us a new Shiv!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FYI there is a Dealer event coming up pretty soon. I know nothing more than that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm starting to lean towards that we won't see a new shiv this year. But I hope I'm wrong.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: What do you want to see on the next Specialized Shiv? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
I'm starting to lean towards that we won't see a new shiv this year. But I hope I'm wrong.

Seeing the Don's and the Hoff's bikes looking so dialed in this later in the season (though some might not consider this later in relation to Kona), I'll agree. But, I can hope.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Longer reach
A bladder that is easier to refill
Quote Reply

Prev Next