Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What was it about the 80's? [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best. Decade. Ever!!!

And, you didn't have to worry about slow-driving assholes blocking the left lane.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: What was it about the 80's? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Best. Decade. Ever!!!

And, you didn't have to worry about slow-driving assholes blocking the left lane.

Ha!

I'm sure the roads were glorious then, free of those narcisstic types whose time is more important than the safety of those around them. But their tatts are so badass.

Tis a shame the Delorean won't leap at 44mph! Sigh. I guess only you will make it back. Tell Miss Daisy I miss her every day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 words - Iron Fucking Maiden

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: What was it about the 80's? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
To start with, almost all of the songs in Guardians are 70s songs, not 80s.

Hello. That's what I was thinking. That tells you all you need to know about the 80s and the music: fail.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
travelmama wrote:
The Beatles and Elvis should have their own channels so their nose does not interfere with decent tunes that are worth listening to.

I didn't realize you were a deaf person. That's ok, the LR opens it arms to the disabled. However, it's usually just mental disability that we have to deal with in here...

You are insulting the mentally disabled . Naw....What we have here in the LR is simply a number of posters with low(ish:)IQs .

As for 'mama , likely been tone-deaf her entire life and never diagnosed :). And that's from a guy who's defintely no Beatle / Elvis fan-boy but who can appreciate the obvious talent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:

I was hoping someone was going to bring this up. In fact, much of the older music you hear in the Marvel movies comes from the mid- to late 70s. The 1974-1978 period, when I was in grade school and junior high.
Quote Reply
Re: What was it about the 80's? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Best. Decade. Ever!!!

Tune in the final Friday of each month, or stream from the link below

http://www.xpn.org/...ams/land-of-the-lost

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: What was it about the 80's? [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwbeuk wrote:
slowguy wrote:

I was hoping someone was going to bring this up. In fact, much of the older music you hear in the Marvel movies comes from the mid- to late 70s. The 1974-1978 period, when I was in grade school and junior high.

I often say "The '80s started in 1977"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you haven't yet, check out the series "Red Oaks" on Amazon. One of the best 80s television shows I've ever seen. It's not a "gosh, the 80s were so tacky" look back, but rather, a really sweet, heartfelt look at at least one element of the 80s experience with excellent music choices, fashion choices, characters, dialogue. In one scene, I literally saw the bedsheets I had back in the day from my first queen sized bed - light brown with cool blue stripes/boxes on them!

The 80s was an interesting intersection of the last remnants of the 60s/70s counter culture meeting up with the "hey, it's not so bad, in fact, it's really awesome to be rich" aspect of the Reagan/Wall Street/market upswing, combined with the underlying fear of a Cold War that was heating up. I remember being scared literally shitless of nuclear war in the early 80s by films like "the Day After" and "War Games" as well as that stooge Dr. Helen Caldicott trying to convince us that somehow America was the bad guy driving the world to the brink of nuclear annihilation. At the same time, I still basked in the innocent pleasures of the pre-Internet, pre-home video game 80s: going to summer camp, playing sports outdoors till dark with my friends, going to the arcade and jamming quarters into the PacMan, Galaga, and Defender machines.

Culturally, even the worst of the pop music was better than a lot of the stuff we're seeing today - and the best was and will remain iconic - Prince, Springsteen, etc. The so-called Alternative music scene was incredible - REM, the Cure, the Smiths, Psychedelic Furs, Oingo Boingo, Talk Talk, New Order...even with the advent of CDs, radio had a tremendous influence over music of all genres - truly dedicated fans listened to stations to hear their songs, bought/borrowed albums/CDs and lovingly sequenced songs on fragile C-60 and C-90 cassettes with limited lifespans...

...so perhaps hair and fashion left a lot to be desired...in the regular world as well as the sports world, but it was a glorious time. Do I love having instant access to virtually every song I ever loved at once via the 'net? Sure...but the magic of hearing "that song" you were hoping to hear on the radio, especially when it wasn't in heavy rotation, is long gone, sadly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The music of the 80's was a sudden breakout of the formula music that the 70s had become. Really bad formula music like Kung Fu Fighting, the theme from Smoky and the Bandit, the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. Nothing like the death of a ship crew to make a teenager jump and ask his date for a dance.

The epiphany of Blondie, the Cars, and the dozens of other alternative bands that showed up beginning in the late 70s set my generation on fire after years of settling for anything that wasn't disco or cheesy formula music. There were good rock oriented bands to see like ELO, Styx and the like, and they carried into the 80s with the new bands while the cheesy and downright bad was left behind.

The turbulence of the new video media along with digital technology kept the innovation going until the late 90s came around. Today we are back in the formula music world where the producers tell the artists what to do and how to do it for the most part. The only real music today comes from indie bands like those found in Austin, Muscle Shoals and a few other areas.
Quote Reply
Re: What was it about the 80's? [vecchia capra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vecchia capra wrote:
Today we are back in the formula music world where the producers tell the artists what to do and how to do it for the most part.

Are there still hands-on puppet-master producers anymore, in the "classic" sense of Phil Spector, Jimmy Iovine or Steve Albini? I dunno

Quote Reply
Re: What was it about the 80's? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
vecchia capra wrote:
Today we are back in the formula music world where the producers tell the artists what to do and how to do it for the most part.

Are there still hands-on puppet-master producers anymore, in the "classic" sense of Phil Spector, Jimmy Iovine or Steve Albini? I dunno

Probably, but the current breed of producers are no-names who are more concerned with the money than the music. Just turn on the radio or what passes for MTV these days and all you will see is formula music, the same beats, dancing, computer altered voices and no creativity other than just how little the dancers can wear without getting the little blur they use to cover nudity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing that a lot of the up & coming indie artists on D'Kids Spotify feed [LANY, Halsey, Melanie Martinez, Marina & The Diamonds, The Neighborhood, The 1975, and so on] are self-produced, because they haven't caught the ear of a major label producer yet ... or Jack Antonoff,

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's the truth really, the indie scene is the only place to hear real music creativity these days, and only a few of those are given a slice of the mass market like Antonoff, and him mainly because he is co-writing with some of the bigger name artists like Lorde and Taylor Swift.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in a position where she will play something and I'll say "Hey! That kinda sounds like ..."

A week or two ago, we compared the chorus in Harry Stiles "Ever Since New York" ["Tell me something I don't already know"]

to "Best of My Love" by The Eagles

Quote Reply
Re: What was it about the 80's? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats funny, the 80's is when I thought music went to shit

Mark,

I guess it depended on where you sourced your music in the 1980's. If you only listened to "top-40" in the 80's it was awful! However, underground and on the fringes, there was A LOT going on - with genres breaking out, that define the music business and pop/rock music today.

Hip-Hop, Rap, Ska, Electronica, Dance, Ambient, House-Music, World-Music, Shoe-Gaze (which lead to Grunge) the process of mixing and sampling, etc all started in the 1980's.

I was lucky growing up in the Toronto area - we had a radio Station CFNY, that from the late 1970's had a mandate, to play all these "Alternative" genres and styles of music. They NEVER played top-40 stuff. A mid-1980's play list could include the following - The Smiths, Grand-Master Flash, Kraftwerk, Eno, The Cure, Siouxse & The Banshees, Joy Divsion/New Order, Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark, The Specials, Teenage Head (Canadian punk/rock-billy band), The Human League, Run DMC, The English Beat, The The, . . . etc . . I could go on and on!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Jul 11, 17 10:50
Quote Reply
Re: What was it about the 80's? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Mark,

I guess it depended on where you sourced your music in the 1980's. If you only listened to "top-40" in the 80's it was awful! However, underground and on the fringes, there was A LOT going on - with genres breaking out, that define the music business and pop/rock music today.

Hip-Hop, Rap, Ska, Electronica, Dance, Ambient, House-Music, World-Music, Shoe-Gaze (which lead to Grunge) the process of mixing and sampling, etc all started in the 1980's.

I was lucky growing up in the Toronto area - we had a radio Station CFNY, that from the late 1970's had a mandate, to play all these "Alternative" genres and styles of music. They NEVER played top-40 stuff. A mid-1980's play list could include the following - The Smiths, Grand-Master Flash, Kraftwerk, Eno, The Cure, Siouxse & The Banshees, Joy Divsion/New Order, Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark, The Specials, Teenage Head (Canadian punk/rock-billy band), The Human League, Run DMC, The English Beat, The The, . . . etc . . I could go on and on!

When I hear someone say 80s music this is what I think. Living in Southern CA a the time we had a great selection of Alternative stations. My preferred order KROQ, 91X, KNAC

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: What was it about the 80's? [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/

http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/...e-mixtape-june-2017/

SIDE A
1. 1,000 Homo DJs, “Supernaut” (Dub Remix)
2. Anne Clark, “Sleeper in Metropolis”
3. The Jesus and Mary Chain, “Teenage Lust” (Acoustic Version)
4. The Go-Betweens, “Streets Of Your Town”
5. R.E.M., “I Don’t Sleep, I Dream”
6. Public Image Ltd., “The Body” (U.S. 12-Inch Mix)
7. Siouxsie and Brian Reitzell, “Love Crime”
8. The Godfathers, “She Gives Me Love”
9. Gang of Four, “To Hell With Poverty”
10. Squeeze, “Up the Junction” (Live)
11. Big Audio Dynamite, “E=MC2” (12-Inch Remix)

SIDE B
1. Paul Weller, “I Should Have Been There to Inspire You”
2. Paul Westerberg, “World Class Fad”
3. Love and Rockets, “Love Me” (Live)
4. Electronic, “Forbidden City”
5. Marc Almond, “Tears Run Rings’
6. Echo & The Bunnymen, “New Direction” (Original Version)
7. Morrissey, “Alma Matters”
8. The House of Love, “Destroy the Heart” (Peel Session)
9. The Sundays, “Here’s Where the Story Ends”
10. Galaxie 500, “Hearing Voices”
11. Talking Heads, “Cool Water”

You're welcome
Randy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or just watch The wedding Singer.

Re: What was it about the 80's? [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:
Fleck wrote:

Mark,

When I hear someone say 80s music this is what I think. Living in Southern CA a the time we had a great selection of Alternative stations. My preferred order KROQ, 91X, KNAC

Living in San Diego on a Navy ship, we put a radio antenna on the mast so we could listen to KROQ over the horizon in port and at sea off the coast of So Cal. 91X was the go to, with their antenna being located right across the border in Tijuana. The music scene in So Cal was outstanding, particularly in the early 80s when alternative, punk, metal, and So Cal flavored pop ruled the world and it was easy to see the artists in concert all within a hundred mile drive from just about anywhere in the region.
Quote Reply
Re: What was it about the 80's? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya KROQ was my go to station in the 70's in LA and it played a lot of underground music. I do remember that I stopped listening to it after about a decade, and just looked up on wiki and found out why.

"By the late 1980s, the station started dipping in the ratings. New wave declined in popularity and electronic dance bands, such as Depeche Mode and New Order, started getting more airplay on the station. Listeners, confused about the lack of rock music on the station, started turning away, many to competitor AOR station KLOS."

Honestly I just don't remember much good music coming out of the 80's, and most of it was from my bands that began in the 60's/70's anyway. I sure there was some, and it was the fuel for the new young teenage generation, but my tastes were already set, and why change when your guys were still going and producing? In fact many of those 70's bands are still going, 50 years+ today, how many 80's bands are doing that? Jethro Tull, Stones, Neil Young, Elton John, and on and on. Ihear you and see the bands you put up, but I just don't care about any of them really. Not to say they were not good or influential, but you can have Rapp, Disco, Heavy Metal, and punk. The rest of that decade was Madonna and all the sound alike, still cannot listen even a few minutes to that pop formula music. Tried Prince, but didn't like him either, not sure why even...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vecchia capra wrote:
Billabong wrote:
Fleck wrote:
I was lucky growing up in the Toronto area -

Living in San Diego on a Navy ship,

I was always a live music dude

My cousin lived in NYC, and his step-dad was in music business, so we would get into the clubs [although we were seriously underage]

Radio in Philly at the time wasn't great, but we had WXPN [UPenn] and WDKU [Drexel University]

Then I started Art School in '81; and got into the music scene here, both as a fan and with my own bands

http://djrobertdrake.blogspot.com/...er-city-streets.html

http://dangerousminds.net/...st_side_club_in_1981

https://www.facebook.com/...m_id=439874632837115

Quote Reply

Prev Next