Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ne Plus Ultra of Generation Selfie: Woman Takes Selfie While Sister's Giving Birth
Quote | Reply
I don't want to be mean when I say this, but I really don't care about your selfies (or about your holiday photos, if you're on Facebook posting those ;-) and I suspect much of the rest of the universe doesn't, either.

To me, the ubiquitous selfie is the ultimate expression of the self-esteem movement and it's allowed our impulse towards overwrought self-expression to also run riot through our collective consciousness. This used to be the province of hack writers and other documentarians and...wait. Forget I said that part.

Anyway, this Texas woman (at least it wasn't Florida Man this time) was apparently so consumed with herself she couldn't help but take a selfie while her sister was giving birth in the background. (If she was making an attempt at self-deprecation or a sly commentary on the selfie genre, perhaps this would make sense Was she?)

The pic has since been called 'hilarious' but 'cruel' and it's of course gone viral. Much as the Black Death went viral throughout Europe at one time. LOL!

Texas woman takes selfie with sister who is giving birth | Daily Mail Online

"Some might argue she should have been holding her pregnant sister's hand. But for Kat Armendariz, from El Paso in Texas, it was a picture opportunity she could not resist.

The young woman whipped out her phone as her sister lay in a hospital bed in the background screaming out in pain and in the midst of labour - and took a selfie!

Fun-loving aunt Ms Armendariz took to Imgur to share the image, which she captioned 'SELFIE! While my sister is about to shove a baby out her vag!', and it has since gone viral on the site with over 496,000 views and 1,000 comments."

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Last edited by: big kahuna: Jul 8, 17 6:32
Quote Reply
Re: Ne Plus Ultra of Generation Selfie: Woman Takes Selfie While Sister's Giving Birth [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
If she was making an attempt at self-deprecation or a sly commentary on the selfie genre, perhaps this would make sense Was she?)

Obviously done for dramatic and humorous effect, and pretty damn funny IMO.

I'd do the same with a buddy passing a kidney stone, given the opportunity. And I don't do selfies.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Ne Plus Ultra of Generation Selfie: Woman Takes Selfie While Sister's Giving Birth [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I admit she does have a future in the comedy world. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Ne Plus Ultra of Generation Selfie: Woman Takes Selfie While Sister's Giving Birth [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah that is well, discouraging. Think of the possibilities though. Selfie while dad dies, selfie while Billie Bob is bleeding from chainsaw injury! Sphere beat me to it while I was thinking about what to say.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Last edited by: len: Jul 8, 17 6:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, this is a profound topic.

I just had an epiphany this week. I've become rather crotchety in the last year or so with regard to media personalties. Whether it be talk radio, DJ's on music radio, or sports commentators, sometimes I get so frustrated I switch radio stations or mute the TV (I've mentioned this here a few times with regard to sports). So a couple of days ago I finally realized that there is a single trigger to my frustration: first person narratives, or "I" talk.

I recognize the irony, but there is a time and place for "I". I want to converse with people -- I love hearing about peoples experiences and thoughts here. When someone is interviewed on TV I expect and want them to talk about themselves. But if your job is to play music and inform us about the artists, I don't want to hear you talking about how you feel about the bad commute you had in the morning.

I am most bothered in this regard by Sean Hannity. He sometimes has good guests, but takes things way too personally. He gives lengthy defenses of himself whenever he is challenged and constantly references his judo training. Dude is still in high school emotionally.

I suppose this is a generational thing. I'm 54.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I will just get right to the point: selfies need to fucking die. Especially the car selfie, which has to be the worst thing that has ever happened short of people dying or being maimed.

You may think that is hyperbolic, which is a trait of mine, but I am absolutely serious.
Quote Reply
Re: Ne Plus Ultra of Generation Selfie: Woman Takes Selfie While Sister's Giving Birth [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MidwestRoadie wrote:
I will just get right to the point: selfies need to fucking die. Especially the car selfie, which has to be the worst thing that has ever happened short of people dying or being maimed.

You may think that is hyperbolic, which is a trait of mine, but I am absolutely serious.

Car selfies are an indication of profound psychic trauma, sir. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought it was funny. And, Kat is cute, so, bonus.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am happy to see photos of what my friends and relatives are doing. Nearest family is 9 hours away and we usually see each other at reunions, weddings and funerals. so seeing their pics from vacation is nice. Granted those that take pictures of their lunch are a bit much, but overall it is great to hear from everyone. Of course I only login in facebook about twice a month so I am not getting an overdose like some.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm very happy about the invention of the selfie stick. It provides a handy tool to beat idiots with when the hold me up to take their own photo in some 'ironic'. Situation

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply