Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trump in Poland
Quote | Reply
So Trump was just in Poland and gave a speech that has been the subject of some commentary.

Here's the video and text on Trump's network and here is text on whitehouse.gov

My reaction was to wonder if someone found an old never-given speech written by/for Reagan in a closet of the Whitehouse. (In other words, I liked it.)

The video of the speech is 30+ minutes and it took me 5-10 minutes to read. So it ain't no tweet. Anybody still interested in something like this?

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Trump in Poland [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, no ones interested in Trump speeches, especially his base.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's Reaganesque, I'm definitely interested in such things. Public speakers giving speeches like that, with great, measured delivery and compelling content, is an art that's too rare these days, regardless of one's agreement with their political stance.

Thanks for sharing. I'll read the text; cannot sit through listening to 30 minutes of Trump's style of speaking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be curious who wrote it. Clearly not Trump.
Quote Reply
Re: Trump in Poland [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

The last president to write a speech was Lincoln at Gettysburg
Quote Reply
Re: Trump in Poland [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
trail wrote:

The last president to write a speech was Lincoln at Gettysburg

Nah, there were many subsequent to that.

But my point is that I'm wondering who wrote this one. Not because I think it's novel that Trump obviously didn't write it. But because I'm wondering who wrote it. Hard to pick whether it was written by the Bannon camp or another camp.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
So Trump was just in Poland and gave a speech that has been the subject of some commentary.

Here's the video and text on Trump's network and here is text on whitehouse.gov

My reaction was to wonder if someone found an old never-given speech written by/for Reagan in a closet of the Whitehouse. (In other words, I liked it.)

The video of the speech is 30+ minutes and it took me 5-10 minutes to read. So it ain't no tweet. Anybody still interested in something like this?

Cold War Camp for sure.
Written to drive a wedge between the Eastern and Western European States.

So obvious...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting. It was a strong speech, although it was a bit hard to keep reading when nearly the first thing out of his mouth was bragging about Polish support in the 2016 election.

Reading the speech, as well, it's almost painful when ever Trump ad libs comments. Too bad they couldn't post the speech as written rather than as delivered.

I wonder what it was like for the audience to hear Trump relate the history of the Warsaw Uprising-- something they all would know well, and something he certainly knew nothing about previously (not that I would expect differently for most Americans, even history buffs). To me, this suggests an opportunity: perhaps the way to get Trump to read/learn things on any issue would be to put them in a speech like this.

Trump will never make me happy, but it was encouraging to hear at least a little firmness about Russian meddling in Eastern Europe, and some generally positive support of European solidarity. As I said, good speech, and good message overall.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
We have to remember that our defense is not just a commitment of money, it is a commitment of will. Because as the Polish experience reminds us, the defense of the West ultimately rests not only on means but also on the will of its people to prevail and be successful and get what you have to have. The fundamental question of our time is whether the West has the will to survive. Do we have the confidence in our values to defend them at any cost? Do we have enough respect for our citizens to protect our borders? Do we have the desire and the courage to preserve our civilization in the face of those who would subvert and destroy it.

An imperfect messenger, but a profound message.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OTOH, the big picture isn't quite as rosy. The Imperfect Messenger is who and what he is.

Quote:
Trump Handed Putin a Stunning Victory

President Donald Trump needed to accomplish two things this week during his visits to Poland and the G-20 Summit in Hamburg. First, he needed to reassure America’s allies that he was committed to collective defense and the core set of values and principles that bind us together. Second, he needed to demonstrate that he understands that the greatest threat to that alliance, those values, and our security is the Kremlin.

Trump delivered neither of these. In very concrete terms, through speech and action, the president signaled a willingness to align the United States with Vladimir Putin’s worldview, and took steps to advance this realignment. He endorsed, nearly in its totality, the narrative the Russian leader has worked so meticulously to construct.

The readout of Trump’s lengthy meeting with Putin included several key points.

First, the United States will “move on” from election hacking issues with no accountability or consequences for Russia; in fact, the U.S. will form a “framework” with Russia to cooperate on cybersecurity issues, evaluating weaknesses and assessing potential responses jointly.

Second, the two presidents agreed not to meddle in “each other’s” domestic affairs—equating American activities to promote democracy with Russian aggression aimed at undermining it, in an incalculable PR victory for the Kremlin.

Third, the announced, limited cease-fire in Syria will be a new basis for cooperation between the U.S. and Russia; Secretary of State Rex Tillerson went so far as to say that the Russian approach in Syria—yielding mass civilian casualties, catastrophic displacement, untold destruction and erased borders—may be “more right” than that of the United States.

Each of these points represents a significant victory for Putin. Each of them will weaken U.S. tools for defending its interests and security from the country that defines itself as America’s “primary adversary.” Trump has ceded the battle space—physical, virtual, moral—to the Kremlin. And the president is going to tell us this is a “win.”

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Trump in Poland [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
OTOH, the big picture isn't quite as rosy. The Imperfect Messenger is who and what he is.

Quote:
Trump Handed Putin a Stunning Victory

President Donald Trump needed to accomplish two things this week during his visits to Poland and the G-20 Summit in Hamburg. First, he needed to reassure America’s allies that he was committed to collective defense and the core set of values and principles that bind us together. Second, he needed to demonstrate that he understands that the greatest threat to that alliance, those values, and our security is the Kremlin.

Trump delivered neither of these. In very concrete terms, through speech and action, the president signaled a willingness to align the United States with Vladimir Putin’s worldview, and took steps to advance this realignment. He endorsed, nearly in its totality, the narrative the Russian leader has worked so meticulously to construct.

The readout of Trump’s lengthy meeting with Putin included several key points.

First, the United States will “move on” from election hacking issues with no accountability or consequences for Russia; in fact, the U.S. will form a “framework” with Russia to cooperate on cybersecurity issues, evaluating weaknesses and assessing potential responses jointly.

Second, the two presidents agreed not to meddle in “each other’s” domestic affairs—equating American activities to promote democracy with Russian aggression aimed at undermining it, in an incalculable PR victory for the Kremlin.

Third, the announced, limited cease-fire in Syria will be a new basis for cooperation between the U.S. and Russia; Secretary of State Rex Tillerson went so far as to say that the Russian approach in Syria—yielding mass civilian casualties, catastrophic displacement, untold destruction and erased borders—may be “more right” than that of the United States.

Each of these points represents a significant victory for Putin. Each of them will weaken U.S. tools for defending its interests and security from the country that defines itself as America’s “primary adversary.” Trump has ceded the battle space—physical, virtual, moral—to the Kremlin. And the president is going to tell us this is a “win.”

I wonder if he wore knee pads for the meeting?

Seriously, why does anyone think the Orange Menace is a good negotiator?

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Trump in Poland [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Quote:
We have to remember that our defense is not just a commitment of money, it is a commitment of will. Because as the Polish experience reminds us, the defense of the West ultimately rests not only on means but also on the will of its people to prevail and be successful and get what you have to have. The fundamental question of our time is whether the West has the will to survive. Do we have the confidence in our values to defend them at any cost? Do we have enough respect for our citizens to protect our borders? Do we have the desire and the courage to preserve our civilization in the face of those who would subvert and destroy it.

An imperfect messenger, but a profound message.

Unfortunately that message from the gov't and intelligence agencies perspective is rarely aligned with the "profound" meaning of it.
Quote Reply