Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

United Airlines
Quote | Reply
Anyone that has flown United recently that can tell me how much it was to bring your bike? Trying to decide on driving or flying depending on cost.
Thanks! J
Quote Reply
Re: United Airlines [oldhagj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$150 each way
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of my clients did not trust an outside shipper and paid $250 each way!!!

But I really recommend Bikeflights.com usually only about $50 max each way. Good luck

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Over 50lbs and/or over 60 linear inches is $150 ea way to US and territories and $200 ea way international.

Formerly TriBrad02
Quote Reply
Re: United Airlines [CyclingBrad02] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Off topic but what's with the name change?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had really good luck not getting charged a bike fee with United. Back in May I was only charged one way. Last week I flew to Europe and did not get charged on the way there and on the way back was only charged $150 (should be $200).
Quote Reply
Re: United Airlines [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Off topic but what's with the name change?

Cycling only for a bit...no tris this year so changed the name to reflect.

Formerly TriBrad02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

If you buy a Business or First class ticket, you get two checked bags for free. My experience has been they also don't charge the surcharge for bikes -- though that is not guaranteed.

The fare difference between Economy and First is often less than the $300 you pay for a bike round-trip. So it's worth a shot.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Re: United Airlines [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's really hit and miss and depends on the airport and/or agent. I am United gold and get 2 checked bags for free. I've had agents check the bike for free but I've also had agents try to change me an extra fee of $200 if the bike is the 3rd bag - so they wanted $350 total for the bike! I complained enough to get it reversed but it was frustrating. I've found the United agents are not well trained on baggage charges that are out of the ordinary.
Quote Reply
Re: United Airlines [TomTriesTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

True. It is airport dependent. I think the chances are probably better for first class & no status than they are for economy & Gold status. In fact, I found status did nothing for me until I reached Global Services.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$150 for EVERYONE was what the check in agent told me last month. I'm gold and yes I get two bags free, but bikes don't qualify as bags according to this guy, at least not in a normal size bike box. Because, you know, a regular bike box is SOOOO much bigger than a regular bag (not to mention lighter!).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$150 domestic each way.
$200 international each way.

Like others have said... the fee is very hit and miss. I think I have been charged about 50% of the time.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Booked a flight with United but couldn't make a reservation for the bike. It seems that United doesn't do that. You just bring your bike at check in.
Anyone has had bad experience with this?
Quote Reply
Re: United Airlines [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
Booked a flight with United but couldn't make a reservation for the bike. It seems that United doesn't do that. You just bring your bike at check in.
Anyone has had bad experience with this?

Never had a bad experience with that with United, but I have had it with American. Showed up at the airport and they said they wouldn't be able to accommodate the bikes since they only allow 4 per flight and they already had 3 checked in (we had two...) and that was after making the "reservation". Kind of sucks trying to scramble at the airport with how to get the bikes to your destination... In the end, they made an exception and brought both on for us (after they weighed them and realized that total weight for each box was less than 40lbs...)

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply