Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

numbness and soreness on trainer vs road
Quote | Reply
Finally invested in a trainer to start logging more saddle time.
I've been fitted by a highly recommended local fitter and tweaked settings here and there for what I feel is a comfortable fit. I was riding 4-6 hours on the road, usually with a 2-3 hour ride on the weekend.

One issue I've encountered that I don't seem to have when on the road is perineum/man part numbness, as well as sore shoulders.
Numbness starts around 30 minutes, and getting out of the saddle for a few seconds relieves pressure and I'm good for another 20-30 minutes, and so on.
It's an ISM PN2.0 saddle, and I think I'm sitting on it correctly (sit bones on the nose/front, man parts off the front)

As far as the shoulders, it's primarily on the front of deltoid. I'm making sure elbows are roughly 90 degrees as typically recommended. I also try to make sure my shoulders and arms are relaxed and not tensed up.

- Anyone else have issues like these?
- Is there something with riding on a trainer that changes how the body reacts?
- Is there a correction I can make (saddle angle?) that can help alleviate these issues?
- or is it that it just takes time for the body to get used to this?

I'll try to get a picture or video of me on the trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: numbness and soreness on trainer vs road [srschick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty common to feel quite different on the Trainer. I have had the numbing thing on the trainer sometimes but not outside. You could try tilting the saddle down, but that would change your outside.

Big difference is outside you are constantly moving around, even if you do not realize it, where on the trainer you are stationary, so the pressure affects are greater. I know others that have the same issue, a little on the trainer but none outside.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ditto the previous comment - I also find it much harder to hold my aero position when on the trainer, for extended periods. Tilting the saddle down 1-2* seems to help, but I have to move it back when on the road otherwise I slide off the front. No harm in shifting around every 20-30 minutes anyhow, it's not like I stay aero for hours on end on the trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's due to the lower inertia of riding indoors. The only trainer I've ridden that hasn't resulted in discomfort is the Lynx which uses a 2 hp motor to simulate inertia.
Quote Reply