Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Considering IMLP 2018
Quote | Reply
I'm considering doing IMLP next summer. It will be my first 140.6. Before I pull the trigger, what are some things I should take into consideration to be sure I know what I'm in for...training, prep, and time-wise. (I grew up in LP, so I know what I'd be in for course-wise.)

Basically, what's it going to take in the next year for me to be able to successfully complete it, with very realistic MOP time goals.

Me:
32 yr
F
2 x 70.3
Generally athletic, but need work on my running
Not overweight, but could lose 15# to be ideal "race" weight
Quote Reply
Re: Considering IMLP 2018 [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do it!!

with some extra time commitment ( mainly in the form of longer rides and runs) in training and over a year to get it dialed in you will be fine (assuming you didn't come in last in the HIM's)

you will likely loose that 15 just in the process with a little attention to nutrition.

Hometown, or former hometown race would be fun, especially in LP, really is a cool venue for the race.

Just do it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've raced it three times and love it. Your first IM isn't going to be perfect so pick a race you like rather than one plays to your strengths. IMLP is worth the effort, not easy but as you know beautiful, and finishing in the Olympic Oval is awesome. Hopefully you still have family or friends to stay with because the price of accommodations is the only knock on this race. Lots of climbing which maybe good motivation to lose a few LBs or just enjoy the views a little longer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a lot of fun and a great venue. You've done a couple 70.3s, so you aren't pulling off more than you can chew. Respect the distance and put in the SBR time. The biggest difference for me (70.3 - 140.6 distance) was making sure the wife was all-in. Even to finish as a MOP, training is like a part time job on the side. Can your work schedule and family needs be juggled with a sustained training load. If so, go for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say you need to average 10 hours a week of training for the year before the race to finish in the MOP.

How much do you train now on average?
What percentage do you train in each discipline?
What discipline is your favourite?
How long have you been active?
What are your time restraints outside of triathlon (work, family)?
Quote Reply
Re: Considering IMLP 2018 [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great stuff everyone! Kinda making me excited about this possibility!

How much do you train now on average? - About 8-12hrs/week

What percentage do you train in each discipline? - Roughly S25% / B50% / R25% - and a strength session one day a week

What discipline is your favourite? - Biking. I usually ride 40 mi midweek and go out with a group on Saturdays for my long ride, usually 90+ miles with 6-7k climbing

How long have you been active? - Pretty much my whole life; high school and college athlete, outdoor enthusiast (hiking, rafting, etc.) aware of my general health, with a few slip ups here and there (new relationships, bad jobs, etc.), but nothing major.

What are your time restraints outside of triathlon (work, family)? - Live and work in NYC, so my work schedule is full of long days. I squeeze in a lot of lunch hour (and a half) workouts during the week. Long time boyfriend, no kids. That's kinda the mindset behind IMLP '18 - last hurrah before we start with the kiddos.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some other questions that popped into mind were:
What were your two previous 70.3?
Have you ever done a marathon?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guess I am on the other side of this "LP is great" view-

I share a place in LP on mirror lake with other knuckleheads-I have been in on the place for the last 3 years so I get a fair amount of training (rode the bike 30X+) and time up there and I do not know why people think it's the greatest race-the oval finish-ya, not bad, but not enough to make it the place I want to go.

Full disclosure: 2015 race night, place next door to ours catches fire, fire jumps to our building and we are screwed-no race for us-(Ironman was fantastic helping us out).

IM races: did Chat in 2015 (better than LP IMHO), LP in 2016 (oval finish oh boy), LVille 2016 (finish in the party area-race IMHO better than LP)

70.3's about a dozen in the last 4 years-favorite by far is Tremblant

This year=Tremblant 70.3, IMLP only because I have the place there (last year for that), Tremblant full maybe, and IM LVille again.

Places to stay in LP are ridiculously overpriced for race weekend-lets double our rates! Oh, and the food not that great-Smoke Signals...really?

The course IMHO isn't that great-swim, big deal there is a "line" for the swim... bike-a few hills and the flats (Keane descent basically 6 mile death run on crap pavement), run-the oval? The run may be the best part of the course...

Now maybe because I have trained and get to go up there often my view is different-I have had jackasses try to run us into ditches on the bike out past Jay, this w/e a %^&* in a dully has a clear lane on the way into town and came within a foot with his mirror on my shoulder...and have had several other issues-I ride far right, smile and wave, wave cars/trucks past me so they know I see them...granted I have also seen a bunch of dumb ass bikers do stupid shit to cars/trucks...

I think the bike at Chat and LVille was much nicer, the view, the roads-same on the run...

I think you can do either of those venues for close to half what lodging/food in LP will run you, and you can do Tremblant full for less than LP and that, for sure is a better "place" than LP (IMHO).

Just my 2 cents...

Pots
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was my first.

It is super expensive and most places require you stay 5-7 nights. So you pay $200-300 a night for a hotel, that is a dated 1960s looking hotel you'd never want to stay at if you had a choice.

Some folks try and rent a house and share with friends.

For many in NE area, the cost of housing in LP is equal to paying airfare, renting a car and renting a place at another IM location.

I think it helps to have a coach for your first IM. Many often do to much in the process and don't know when to rest.
Quote Reply
Re: Considering IMLP 2018 [pots4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pots4 wrote:
Guess I am on the other side of this "LP is great" view-

I share a place in LP on mirror lake with other knuckleheads-I have been in on the place for the last 3 years so I get a fair amount of training (rode the bike 30X+) and time up there and I do not know why people think it's the greatest race-the oval finish-ya, not bad, but not enough to make it the place I want to go.

Full disclosure: 2015 race night, place next door to ours catches fire, fire jumps to our building and we are screwed-no race for us-(Ironman was fantastic helping us out).

IM races: did Chat in 2015 (better than LP IMHO), LP in 2016 (oval finish oh boy), LVille 2016 (finish in the party area-race IMHO better than LP)

70.3's about a dozen in the last 4 years-favorite by far is Tremblant

This year=Tremblant 70.3, IMLP only because I have the place there (last year for that), Tremblant full maybe, and IM LVille again.

Places to stay in LP are ridiculously overpriced for race weekend-lets double our rates! Oh, and the food not that great-Smoke Signals...really?

The course IMHO isn't that great-swim, big deal there is a "line" for the swim... bike-a few hills and the flats (Keane descent basically 6 mile death run on crap pavement), run-the oval? The run may be the best part of the course...

Now maybe because I have trained and get to go up there often my view is different-I have had jackasses try to run us into ditches on the bike out past Jay, this w/e a %^&* in a dully has a clear lane on the way into town and came within a foot with his mirror on my shoulder...and have had several other issues-I ride far right, smile and wave, wave cars/trucks past me so they know I see them...granted I have also seen a bunch of dumb ass bikers do stupid shit to cars/trucks...

I think the bike at Chat and LVille was much nicer, the view, the roads-same on the run...

I think you can do either of those venues for close to half what lodging/food in LP will run you, and you can do Tremblant full for less than LP and that, for sure is a better "place" than LP (IMHO).

Just my 2 cents...

Pots

I don't think she is asking if LP is a good course, I think she is asking what it takes to finish an IM. That being said, i agree that Tremblant is a better venue overall (and especially for you Americans in terms of $) than LP.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:

I don't think she is asking if LP is a good course, I think she is asking what it takes to finish an IM. That being said, i agree that Tremblant is a better venue overall (and especially for you Americans in terms of $) than LP.

I would have agreed with you last year, but so far my experience this year is that Tremblant accommodations are starting to realize that the demand is way high and my stay at Ermitage du Lac this year is almost $1k more than last year for the same room. My wife and I are probably going back to LP next year, its going to cost about the same and I like the course at LP much better. I will caveat this and say that we stay in both places for 7 days/6 nights so the 5 night minimum is not a factor, which I understand is an issue for many people.

OP. If you are really doing 90 mile rides with 6k+ ft of climbing you are not going to have any problem being ready by next july.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ninagski wrote:
I'm considering doing IMLP next summer. It will be my first 140.6. Before I pull the trigger, what are some things I should take into consideration to be sure I know what I'm in for...training, prep, and time-wise. (I grew up in LP, so I know what I'd be in for course-wise.)

Basically, what's it going to take in the next year for me to be able to successfully complete it, with very realistic MOP time goals.

Me:
32 yr
F
2 x 70.3
Generally athletic, but need work on my running
Not overweight, but could lose 15# to be ideal "race" weight

You'll be fine. LP was my first too. I also had done 2 Half's prior.

Sounds like you're already doing a lot of the right things.
You'll probably want/need to ramp up the training to 14-18+ hours/week for the 3+ months prior to the race.
The greater training volume will likely lead towards getting closer to "race weight", so don't stress that too much now.

Just keep on keeping on.
Regular, consistent training between now and then, and you'll be good to go.
Good luck!

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Considering IMLP 2018 [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, you may not be fine, but sufferfest is the norm for Ironman. Just train as much as you can. If it is something you want to do, it is worth it. Almost everyone is happy when they cross the finish line.
Quote Reply
Re: Considering IMLP 2018 [MattAune] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I really am doing 90+mi rides with that much climbing. :) Granted, in a group ride, rotating paceline. (Read: drafting)

I know LP is crazy expensive. I do have some friends and family still in the area that I am hoping to crash with. I'm sure there are other places that have as good, if not better, venues. But, having grown up there, I feel it would be the best place for me to do my first 140.6.

How long after this year's race does registration usually open up for 2018?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Monday after the race at 12pm eastern.

By the sounds of it we are going to be there next year too as my wife also wants LP to be her first. It was my first, and still one of our favorite venues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wifes' experience
2014- No triathlon. A few 5k races. Little running base and little cycling.
Two sprint races.
Came to placid to be with me for the race. Decided she wanted to race IMLP 2016.
Started some basic base training.

started a trainingpeaks strong IM finish plan is in February while training at the gym.
Hit about 80% of the plan till 3 months out. Then ramped up to 90%
Did Syracuse 70.3 followed by a good training weekend in Placid.
Had a good taper.
Finished IMLP just over 13 hours

Summery:
Put the money down-Big motivator
Get a good plan together- make sure you can commit to it.
Have an awesome day in Placid!
Quote Reply