Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: switching from cycling to rowing ... experiences? [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
buzz wrote:
do any of you have any experience trying to become competitive at rowing as a master? i have the vo2 but have never rowed, wondering if the technique/skill barrier is prohibitively high to hope to get into masters racing.
Longtime competitive rower and coach here...

Technique needs to be perfected/mastered for anyone, of any age, learning to row. Rowing is A LOT more technical than cycling; all the power and endurance demands as the bike, plus timing, coordination, and a lot of body awareness.

The questions you need to ask yourself, "How much time am I willing to dedicate to learning the skills necessary to become 1)proficient and then 2)competitive.

Also, sweep or scull? If you want to be competitive in a 1x... 2000mi+ annually (on the water, in a 1x, not on the erg) is probably the minimum to become competitive—back of the field.

For masters racing: the distance is short; the race is all power/weight, and also efficient technique.

Ottowa Rowing Club has an adult LTR program. You can also contact Rowing Canada for info about clubs and LTR programs, if you're not local to ORC.

Feel free to DM me w/ any questions.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: Jul 8, 17 9:21
Quote Reply

Prev Next