Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What does USAT provide when I have to pay them $15 a race? [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
I wrote a question to the USAT ranking team about an hour ago on a Sunday. Was hoping to hear back tomorrow on Monday.
Well, I just got an answer back from USAT a few minutes ago on a Sunday. So sorry, I continue to be impressed with the responses
that USAT provides and tries to support their members.

Interesting. I CALLED them on monday with a question about my membership. Still havent heard back.

Maybe they only work on sunday?

They only respond to Dave.
Their SuperFan.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: What does USAT provide when I have to pay them $15 a race? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
tobrien wrote:
OP here....

Oh wait! I just got an email indicating that I qualified for USA Triathlon National Championship based on the result of my race! I *did* have a pretty good race, but I'd hardly call it "national class". Since I have never qualified for anything before, I question the legitimacy.

I still don't know what to think. I acknowledge that the USAT offers value. But for $15/race - I feel like the value ought to be manifestly evident on race day.

Why be so negative? You met the rules of doing a race to get an invite. Yep, I get them all the time. If you want to go and race in the deepest field in the US for an Olympic distance, go test yourself. If not, why knock others that are thrilled?

But line, all sports, etc are a business. If. they do not make money, they do not exist If the 99% of folks who go to nationals, who are not FOP elites, do not go, there is not race for anyone. Is this what you are saying you would want.

Man, do you buy starbucks? I bet I can find things anyone does that I would say is a waste of money. But this 15 bucks stuff is just amazing what some will get all worked up about. I just lost 500 bucks on my airline ticket changes for Penticton since I screwed it up. I guess I have better start a thread attacking the airline industry for being thieves, and just forget I am the one who did not read the details correctly.

Dave, Are you not sort of contradicting yourself here? The thread is about the value of USAT... Is USAT supposed to be a for-profit business, or a non-profit supporting organization?

If the 99% of folks going to Nationals are, as you suggest, not FOP elites, then... does that not right there illustrate the lack of depth in the field? Some people here have posted that the only way to really fill the field is to ...ahem.... lower the entry standards, as you admit has been done, but then they question the legitimacy of that race as a true Nationals and you call them out for bitching about it. It seems like a legitimate question, don't you think?

As for your Starbucks statement leading into your childish comment about the airline ticket and you running off to start an irrelevant thread.... well.... (that is just childish....and irrelevant).
Quote Reply
Re: What does USAT provide when I have to pay them $15 a race? [sixt3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sixt3 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
tobrien wrote:
OP here....

Oh wait! I just got an email indicating that I qualified for USA Triathlon National Championship based on the result of my race! I *did* have a pretty good race, but I'd hardly call it "national class". Since I have never qualified for anything before, I question the legitimacy.

I still don't know what to think. I acknowledge that the USAT offers value. But for $15/race - I feel like the value ought to be manifestly evident on race day.

Why be so negative? You met the rules of doing a race to get an invite. Yep, I get them all the time. If you want to go and race in the deepest field in the US for an Olympic distance, go test yourself. If not, why knock others that are thrilled?

But line, all sports, etc are a business. If. they do not make money, they do not exist If the 99% of folks who go to nationals, who are not FOP elites, do not go, there is not race for anyone. Is this what you are saying you would want.

Man, do you buy starbucks? I bet I can find things anyone does that I would say is a waste of money. But this 15 bucks stuff is just amazing what some will get all worked up about. I just lost 500 bucks on my airline ticket changes for Penticton since I screwed it up. I guess I have better start a thread attacking the airline industry for being thieves, and just forget I am the one who did not read the details correctly.

Dave, Are you not sort of contradicting yourself here? The thread is about the value of USAT... Is USAT supposed to be a for-profit business, or a non-profit supporting organization?

If the 99% of folks going to Nationals are, as you suggest, not FOP elites, then... does that not right there illustrate the lack of depth in the field? Some people here have posted that the only way to really fill the field is to ...ahem.... lower the entry standards, as you admit has been done, but then they question the legitimacy of that race as a true Nationals and you call them out for bitching about it. It seems like a legitimate question, don't you think?

As for your Starbucks statement leading into your childish comment about the airline ticket and you running off to start an irrelevant thread.... well.... (that is just childish....and irrelevant).

Have you been to nationals to compete with the big boys? What was your results? What is your USAT rankings?

Yes, I call out folks, most of which are MOP races, who have no results to even talk about. So, why would they even care? Other than to be elitists.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: What does USAT provide when I have to pay them $15 a race? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
sixt3 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
tobrien wrote:
OP here....

Have you been to nationals to compete with the big boys? What was your results? What is your USAT rankings?

Yes, I call out folks, most of which are MOP races, who have no results to even talk about. So, why would they even care? Other than to be elitists.

I apologize for what seems to be your lack of comprehension - I coherently used YOUR posts to show an apparent contradiction, and to illuminate legitimacy for an often-asked question that you refer to as bitching ...and you respond with a dick-measuring challenge??

I'm out ....
signed .... pee wee :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
sixt3 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
tobrien wrote:
OP here....

Yes I have....podium. TeamUSA is not that hard Dave and I have been fortunate to be top 10 at ITU WC a couple of times. USAT has become completely worthless. As I like Tim so much it pains me to see that, but it seems some people end up going with the flow and not making waves. Their marketing VP is a complete liar and who I called out in very specific detail in e-mails to both him and Tim; he refused to respond further and the swept a very shady deal under the rug.
Quote Reply
Re: What does USAT provide when I have to pay them $15 a race? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
sixt3 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
tobrien wrote:
OP here....

Yes I have....podium. TeamUSA is not that hard Dave and I have been fortunate to be top 10 at ITU WC a couple of times. USAT has become completely worthless. As I like Tim so much it pains me to see that, but it seems some people end up going with the flow and not making waves. Their marketing VP is a complete liar and who I called out in very specific detail in e-mails to both him and Tim; he refused to respond further and the swept a very shady deal under the rug.

Looks like we can just agree to disagree

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
ggeiger wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
sixt3 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
tobrien wrote:
OP here....

Dave, I was as big a fan as you are in past times. Sadly, the power grabs and underhanded ways they do things now, when lying to my face just soured me on them. Their demise is their own doing and it seems to be dramatically accelerating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

And how elitist is it to keep pulling out the "what are your results/rankings" card every time someone disagrees with you?

And funny how its mostly the "MOP racers who have no results to even talk about" who largely subsidize the USAT, and therefore your ability to even have any results/rankings...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

There is an irony in there somewhere, I just can't put my finger on it.

Quote Reply
Re: What does USAT provide when I have to pay them $15 a race? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
ggeiger wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
sixt3 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
tobrien wrote:
OP here....

Dave, I was as big a fan as you are in past times. Sadly, the power grabs and underhanded ways they do things now, when lying to my face just soured me on them. Their demise is their own doing and it seems toZ b
e dramatically accelerating.

I have seen things i shake my head at also on the past. So if i were in your shoes i might feel the same way. But there are so many in usat who work hard. I try now to stay out of usat politics as much as possible.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
ggeiger wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
ggeiger wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
sixt3 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
tobrien wrote:
OP here....

Dave, I was as big a fan as you are in past times. Sadly, the power grabs and underhanded ways they do things now, when lying to my face just soured me on them. Their demise is their own doing and it seems toZ b
e dramatically accelerating.

I have seen things i shake my head at also on the past. So if i were in your shoes i might feel the same way. But there are so many in usat who work hard. I try now to stay out of usat politics as much as possible.

Yes, especially Tim, who is simply amazing. But sadly, they have let politics consume them. I think you know I was proposing a new uniform supplier as TYR had really dropped the ball. Chuck, the marketing VP completely ignored attempts to give the team an extremely good kit from a supplier who has made a number of Olympic team uniforms including medalists. He then tried a cover up and flat out lied to me. Fortunately I had documentation to contradict his points and once I forwarded such info to both Chuck and Tim, I was given a cold shoulder and no further replies. They wanted a conference call, but I knew that meant that meant there would be nothing on the record. I'm not stupid enough to fall for that. Combine that with the virtual board "take over" and Barry's power play and I have had enough with them. Once a very solid TeamUSA advocate I saw the money grabbing, "screw the athletes" stance and saw through their BS as to what was best for the team. It has purely and simply become a money grab, playing on people's egos so they can say they are on a TEAM USA. To have slots roll down as far as they do is really sad. It's actually quite sad as I had some wonderful times and met some wonderful people who I still consider friends. You have seen the classic clusterfu*k that Roka has done with the uniforms, which is the deal I was referencing before. That was NEVER an open bid, and they elected a vendor who had never made a tri kit before.I'm sure there was some cash under the table but that is hidden better than Russian collision. A long distance suit, probably sourced from a vendor in China (based on the terrible delivery timeline) , with no pad as you know well, a VERY poor cut that will leave the athletes in pain and chafed. How is it that time after time they screw up and still demand loyalty. They sit in the high tower in the Springs and have people that have never competed at a high level or even raced recently dictate things. Instead of asking for opinions, they dictate. It's a dinosaur that will die a very slow lingering death and wonder when and why the sheep left the barn.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
JSully wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Most parents I see could not run a mile to save their lives, so how are they role models?

Oh come the fuck on. There's more to life than running proficiency. My dad was a cat 1 bike racer for years. Has absolutely no relevancy to his parenting.

Who says anything about running proficiency? Why do they have kids run around a track in PE for school? My point is most parents could not even pass the PE standards, like run just one lap around a track they are in such poor
physical shape. If parents are out of shape, do you think their kids are in shape?

You. You are the one judging people's parenting skills based on whether or not they could run a mile.

And it's ridiculous. There is more to life, and certainly more to parenting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree the roka uniforms are a joke as many posts pn the teamusa fb page have shown. I have always bought a new uniform but i sent the roka back. The design cut is terrible.

We have different opinions on teamusa. I believe we should fill the teams starting with the best. Other countries have plenty worse than our weakest. I believe we should roll all the way down in ranking aa's like in the past for teamusa. I believe aa should be 5% not 10 but doesn't hurt anyone at 10

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess what bothers me the most is that they do not even consider the opinion of athletes or people "in the know". I'm sorry, but if I am in charge of a company or group, I'm finding the best experts I can to help with decisions. They keep everything inside, with no transparency. The kit issue was a major one and everything was done wrong there. The recent "election" basically ensured that there would be a very large possibility that things would be done in private and without input or regard from members. They no longer serve, but dictate. I understand your feelings on TeamUSA as once one is there, the multitude of under the table and hidden inflated costs are masked by the wonderful people on the team and fellow competitors. But emotion does not clear them of the terrible wrongs they do to the (paying) members.
Quote Reply
Re: What does USAT provide when I have to pay them $15 a race? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
davejustdave wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
I wrote a question to the USAT ranking team about an hour ago on a Sunday. Was hoping to hear back tomorrow on Monday.
Well, I just got an answer back from USAT a few minutes ago on a Sunday. So sorry, I continue to be impressed with the responses
that USAT provides and tries to support their members.

Interesting. I CALLED them on monday with a question about my membership. Still havent heard back.

Maybe they only work on sunday?

They only respond to Dave.
Their SuperFan.

Still havent gotten a call back yet.

Probably will on sunday
Quote Reply
Re: What does USAT provide when I have to pay them $15 a race? [JSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSully wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
JSully wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Most parents I see could not run a mile to save their lives, so how are they role models?

Oh come the fuck on. There's more to life than running proficiency. My dad was a cat 1 bike racer for years. Has absolutely no relevancy to his parenting.

Who says anything about running proficiency? Why do they have kids run around a track in PE for school? My point is most parents could not even pass the PE standards, like run just one lap around a track they are in such poor
physical shape. If parents are out of shape, do you think their kids are in shape?

You. You are the one judging people's parenting skills based on whether or not they could run a mile.

And it's ridiculous. There is more to life, and certainly more to parenting.

"Child Protective Services here. Sir, we understand that you are no longer capable of running a mile, so we will be taking your children into protective custody. They will be placed in foster care with a couple training for Ironman Arizona..."

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: What does USAT provide when I have to pay them $15 a race? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

There is an irony in there somewhere, I just can't put my finger on it.

;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: What does USAT provide when I have to pay them $15 a race? [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:

Probably will on sunday
Still waiting on a reply to e-mail I sent a few weeks ago... maybe if I send it to Dave he can route it for me?

I joke somewhat, they tend to answer me pretty quickly, but this time not so much.
Quote Reply
Re: What does USAT provide when I have to pay them $15 a race? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just used a USAT discount code to buy my refill of boom gel.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good for you. But I don't use Carb boom, and have never seen a USAT discount that I can't match or beat from another source. Even Dan said these were phantom discounts.
Quote Reply
Re: What does USAT provide when I have to pay them $15 a race? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
in my opinion:

3. the medical payments, and i think it's capped at $75,000, is variously good or not depending on whether you have insurance. this insurance is secondary to your medical insurance, so, AFTER your medical insurance has paid everything it's going to pay you then invoke this. when i crashed in a USA cycling race, and after a LOT of hassle, which really i just went thru as an experiment, the USAC medical provision paid about $200, while I paid several thousand in deductible and co-insurance the USAC policy didn't pay. this is because the USAC policy would not pay more than the primary insurance i kept, that is, they treated my deductible and co-pay on my BX policy as it if was the same deductible/co-pay on the USAC medical paymts policy. in short, it was horrible insurance. is USAT's better? i don't know. but one thing i do know: it's REALLY good to have if you have no insurance, because then it's primary, and that's way better than nothing. .

Well here's my story about the USAT insurance. I hit a rut in the road and went over the handlebars at the Boise HIM. Two ambulance rides, two hospitals, multiple cat-scans plus surgery and a bunch follow up medical visits later I was thankful I had really good health insurance at work because my medical costs went over $75,000. The bad news is I still found myself stuck with about $8,000 in uncovered costs and deductibles. Yes, it was a hassle to get the USAT insurance to pony up, not the least of which was getting the HIM race director to acknowledge I had crashed in his race. But in the end the USAT insurance paid every cent of my out of pocket beyond a small deductible of something like $150.

This triathlon thing is a hobby. I think of the impact on my family if I would have been hurt even worse or if I had to pay that $8,000 medical bill out of pocket. As a result, I now willingly pay my annual USAT membership fee because I know firsthand that the insurance is a very valuable benefit, when needed. Further, I've made a promise to myself to ONLY race in USAT certified events where I know if I augur again I'm not putting the finances of my family in unnecessary jeopardy.
Quote Reply

Prev Next