Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Critique my training plan
Quote | Reply
Self coaching myself but I have so many questions. I've been training off and on very sporadically for the past 10 months. Mostly dedicated since February and fully committed for the past 7 weeks. I'm training for my next A race (Oceanside April 2018).

I'm following BarryP for running (6-7 days a week). Cycling is almost all SST/2x20 or Zwift races near 100% for 60 minutes. Swimming I'm mostly working hard (IF>.90)

My typical weeks look like the following.

M - Swim 2000m (20x100 1:35 on 1:55)
Tu - 60-90min (2x20 @ 85% or 40-60min SST) / 2.5 mile run Z2-3
W - Swim 2000m (20x100 1:35 on 1:55) | 5 mile run Z2-3
Th - 60-90min (2x20 @ 85% or 40-60min SST) / 2.5 mile run Z2-3
F - W - Swim 3000m (varies) | 5 mile run Z2-3
Sat - 2-3 hr Z2 ride | 2.5 mile run Z2-3
Sun - 7.5 mile run Z2-3 | (Some weeks) 45-60min Z2 ride spin out

Weekly TSS: 550-750

For now I plan on varying the cycling with the following cycle. (4 weeks of mostly SST, 2 weeks of mostly 2x20@95-100%, 1 week of Vo2Max) then repeat. Right now I am in week 1 of this cycle. For running I plan to get to 4/8/12 for BarryP and stick there until my build phase towards Oceanside.

Last race was a Sprint 2 weeks ago. OWS @ 1:50/100 @ 800m (I had a shitty swim), 260W ride (short course - 9 miles), 7:54/mi 5k.

Can people please critique my training plan? Do I need more ride time? Do I need to work harder? Anything I may be missing?

TIA!
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my training plan [TriangleIL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the plan is ok, but by january 2018 you'll have to gradually step up your long ride to 3.5hours and your long run to 12 miles (at least)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Without knowing your age, strengths, weaknesses, history, spare time to train, injuries, other planned races besides Oceanside, the list is endless seems a pointless exercise to critiqued by people online who potentially have less idea than you. If you're worried and want results I'd consult a coach you can interact with...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same as Shambolic said. Hard to know if it's enough or too much.

However, I am self-coached and can pretty much only comment on the cycling portion because I used 2x20, SST, and Zwift races to build a massive base last winter (A race is next week).

I still keep those SST sessions as a main ingredient in my training because they are extremely repeatable and don't beat you up too much. Eventually the "unders" began to feel like recovery in the ride, which is awesome because they're 85-90%!

The one workout I did a block of was the GCN "Classic 2x20" on Zwift. I started it out at 97% of FTP then built to 101% over four weeks. Those really taught me to dig deep. I eventually phased out racing in Zwift because the efforts were too big to recover from easily. I always found myself riding 50-60 minutes at 90-95% and often had IF at or over 1.0 -- really brutal workouts, but not necessarily good training.

Just stay motivated as long as you can. Try to get outside to do some of the interval sessions (I found it harder to hold power when not forced through ERG, but fixed that with some hard outdoor rides).

Good luck and stay hungry for results!!
Last edited by: TriowaCPA: Jul 7, 17 6:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriangleIL wrote:

M - Swim 2000m (20x100 1:35 on 1:55)
Tu - 60-90min (2x20 @ 85% or 40-60min SST) / 2.5 mile run Z2-3
W - Swim 2000m (20x100 1:35 on 1:55) | 5 mile run Z2-3
Th - 60-90min (2x20 @ 85% or 40-60min SST) / 2.5 mile run Z2-3
F - W - Swim 3000m (varies) | 5 mile run Z2-3
Sat - 2-3 hr Z2 ride | 2.5 mile run Z2-3
Sun - 7.5 mile run Z2-3 | (Some weeks) 45-60min Z2 ride spin out

For now I plan on varying the cycling with the following cycle. (4 weeks of mostly SST, 2 weeks of mostly 2x20@95-100%, 1 week of Vo2Max) then repeat.

It's actually very close to my basic week

I would vary the cycling with 5 to 6 weeks with 1 session of VO2max work then SST or Threshold for 6 to 12 weeks. After that evaluate the difference between power at VO2max and FTP. If they are within 10% of each other then go back to 6 more weeks of VO2max work. If they are much more than 10% apart then do more SST or Threshold for 6 to 12 weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my training plan [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is great everyone! Exactly what I am looking for.

Jaret - Regarding the VO2Max sessions, what do your other sessions look like during that block?

Triowa - Have you continued to see consistent gains with SST training? My one concern is it might be easy to plateau on mostly SST work?

Shambolic wrote:
Without knowing your age, strengths, weaknesses, history, spare time to train, injuries, other planned races besides Oceanside, the list is endless seems a pointless exercise to critiqued by people online who potentially have less idea than you. If you're worried and want results I'd consult a coach you can interact with...

More about me for context:
Strengths: Willingness for pain, running background
Weaknesses: Core strength, flexibility, bike handling, swim endurance
History: Nothing consistent. I've done 6-9 months of training off and on for 12-13 years. Then I would take 1-2 years off with no activity. Running background (fastest 5k 16:50, mile: 4:50).
Injuries: Coming back from shoulder surgery last Nov, but nothing else
No other planned races at this time. Wife won't let me schedule another race until Oceanside for a) cost and b) she wants me to stay committed to training for awhile

Regarding a coach - that's an ongoing battle with the wife. I want a coach, but she doesn't want me to spend more on the sport (right now). She says if I finish Oceanside I can consider getting a coach. I think I also want to find the right coach, someone to work with me on a plan, not to feed me a canned plan that all their athletes roughly follow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriangleIL wrote:
Triowa - Have you continued to see consistent gains with SST training? My one concern is it might be easy to plateau on mostly SST work?

I have continued to see gains and get more efficient at those power targets. The biggest fitness boost came after my block of 2x20s though - just unbelievably tough workouts that pushed me to the limit. I went to some local TTs after that block and consistently made the podium.

Honestly set your goal to be able to conquer the SST Long workout. If you're riding an ERG-capable trainer, that will be one of the toughest rides you'll ever do. SST Medium is tough, but doable, SST Long adds 40 minutes extra at the end and the last 20 minutes will break your spirit. I highly recommend it!! Embrace the pain.

Also, looking at your swimming and seeing that your weakness is swim endurance. I'd stop the 20x100 and start focusing 5x400 or 10x200, keep the rest interval at 10-20s like your 100s. Try to get a video of your stroke underwater from the front, and side, and above at same angles. Then see what your arms are doing -- I can guarantee there's some efficiency to be gained in the pool which will make you faster (which is great for motivation to train) and will get your to your bike fresher on race day!
Last edited by: TriowaCPA: Jul 7, 17 8:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M Swim Easy run
T Bike intervals tempo run
W Swim, Run Intervals
T Bike SST intervals or easy, Easy Run
F Swim, Easy Run
S Long bike, short easy run
S Long run sometimes with threshold intervals

Just about all of my easy runs are between 3 and 4 miles

Monday is an easy day all around, I'll skip a swim or run if I feel like it
Tuesday Bike intervals is where I put the VO2max or Threshold intervals
Wednesday Run intervals is where I put VO2max or Threshold intervals
I used to do Threshold intervals on the bike on Thursday but I just can't do that any more so it's more of a moderate day depending on how I feel from T,W
Friday is an easy day all around, like Monday I'll skip a swim or run if I feel like it
Saturday is normally a 3.5 to 5 hour bike followed by a short run, sometimes I'll swim too
Sunday is normally a run up to 2 hours. I typically do the Q1 run from Daniels Running Formula Marathon A plan (straight from his book)

Bike VO2max sessions are 15 to 25 min of Zone 5 (110%+ FTP) intervals ie. 5X3' with 2' easy, 5X4' with 3' easy, 5x5' with 5' easy or some other really high power workout

Run VO2max sessions are near 15 min of slightly faster than 5K pace intervals of 400, 600 or 800 meter intervals
Quote Reply