Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Alum. P3 cassette/der. question
Quote | Reply
Can I ask if anyone knows what the max cog size will work on a 2003-ish era P3 with its stock Ultegra rear der?

Currently running 9-spd with a max cog of 27, and I have my upcoming event on the hills of Whistler.

I read many here suggesting a larger cog and/or a compact crankset for Whistler, and I see an 11-30 is available in 9-speed. I am hopeful that the 30 tooth will work, so I do not have to buy a compact crankset....
(I am mid-50s male, very avg-slow, looking to complete and not compete my first IM. My current long ride is 160 km in 6:45 with 1400m of climbing )

Many thanks for all helpful information,
Quote Reply
Re: Alum. P3 cassette/der. question [sixt3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the rear derailleur the SS or GS version?
Quote Reply
Re: Alum. P3 cassette/der. question [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do not know where to look for that info...
the rear D is 6500, no visible GS or SS... The space between jockey pulley pins is 5cm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Technically, a 27-tooth 9-speed cassette is the biggest. But since that doesn't exist, you should be fine with a 28. Some people go up to 30, but it seems hit or miss.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://fitwerx.com/...ger-extender-review/

If you really want a longer travel rd ^^

Get a mountain bike cassette with a 32t

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FYI, the mounting tab for the front derailleur on that particular bike doesn't go low enough to run a compact crank. 52 yes, 50 no.

EDIT: Well, I couldn't on mine. Derailleur simply couldn't slide down far enough. '05 (I think) with 6700 FD and 6700 50/34 crank.
Last edited by: JASpencer: Jul 7, 17 9:04
Quote Reply
Re: Alum. P3 cassette/der. question [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run a compact crank 50/34 on my 2001 P3.

Swim - ( x ) All good ( ) In the shop
Bike - ( x ) All good ( ) In the shop
Run - ( ) All good ( x ) In the shop
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have a short cage derailleur. The length of the cage doesn't dictate the max cog size though. The length of the cage dictates the total amount of gears you can have if you add the difference between the front rings (53-39 = 14) and the difference between your smallest and largest rear cogs (27-11 = 16) for a total of 30. I'm pretty sure that's the 'max' amount a SS cage from that era can handle, but Shimano is notoriously conservative in those estimate. An 11-30 would put you at 33 which may work. I really doubt you're going to get an exact answer from Slowtwitch because generally the technical advice on here sucks and the really techy guys probably aren't riding a 15 year old Cervelo, even if it is still a really great bike. If you try throwing on the 11-30 with no other modifications, you would have to be very careful to avoid cross chaining in the big-big combo. You could also buy a 12-30 or 13-30 cassette from Harris Cyclery (link here) to stay within (or at least closer to) derailleur specs.

You might be able to throw an 11-32 cassette on, but the derailleur won't be able to handle the extra chain needed. The Roadlink mentioned above won't work because you're still stuck with the derailleur not handling the extra chain.

When this same question comes up with 9 speed drivetrains, a great solution is to swap in a 9 speed Shimano mountain bike derailleur. That was the last time road and mountain shifters and derailleurs had the same cable pull. Put on an 11-34 cassette (which is the widest that I know of for 9 speeds) or even a 12-36 with that mt bike derailleur. Grab a new chain too since the one you have now isn't long enough. You can literally buy all 3 for under $100 total since 9 speed can be found pretty cheap.

Also, do you know what your ring sizes (tooth counts) up front are? That might help us a little too.
Quote Reply
Re: Alum. P3 cassette/der. question [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JASpencer wrote:
FYI, the mounting tab for the front derailleur on that particular bike doesn't go low enough to run a compact crank. 52 yes, 50 no.

I've got a few thousand miles on mine with no problem. It does depend on which FD you use though.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks to everyone for all the info
Quote Reply
Re: Alum. P3 cassette/der. question [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
You have a short cage derailleur. The length of the cage doesn't dictate the max cog size though. The length of the cage dictates the total amount of gears you can have if you add the difference between the front rings (53-39 = 14) and the difference between your smallest and largest rear cogs (27-11 = 16) for a total of 30. I'm pretty sure that's the 'max' amount a SS cage from that era can handle, but Shimano is notoriously conservative in those estimate. An 11-30 would put you at 33 which may work. I really doubt you're going to get an exact answer from Slowtwitch because generally the technical advice on here sucks and the really techy guys probably aren't riding a 15 year old Cervelo, even if it is still a really great bike. If you try throwing on the 11-30 with no other modifications, you would have to be very careful to avoid cross chaining in the big-big combo. You could also buy a 12-30 or 13-30 cassette from Harris Cyclery (link here) to stay within (or at least closer to) derailleur specs.

You might be able to throw an 11-32 cassette on, but the derailleur won't be able to handle the extra chain needed. The Roadlink mentioned above won't work because you're still stuck with the derailleur not handling the extra chain.

When this same question comes up with 9 speed drivetrains, a great solution is to swap in a 9 speed Shimano mountain bike derailleur. That was the last time road and mountain shifters and derailleurs had the same cable pull. Put on an 11-34 cassette (which is the widest that I know of for 9 speeds) or even a 12-36 with that mt bike derailleur. Grab a new chain too since the one you have now isn't long enough. You can literally buy all 3 for under $100 total since 9 speed can be found pretty cheap.

Also, do you know what your ring sizes (tooth counts) up front are? That might help us a little too.

I do have the std 53-39 chainset..

Thank you very much for the detailed post . I think I will look into the mtn derailleur idea and see if I can get that sorted - It looks to be be the 2nd easiest way (assuming the easiest , which is just popping on a 11-30 cassette, does not work well)

Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sixt3 wrote:
I do have the std 53-39 chainset..

Thank you very much for the detailed post . I think I will look into the mtn derailleur idea and see if I can get that sorted - It looks to be be the 2nd easiest way (assuming the easiest , which is just popping on a 11-30 cassette, does not work well)

Thanks again!

You're welcome! There's a decent chance the 11-30 will work. The chain sizing will have to be just about perfect. Mt derailleur and 11-34 or 12-36 cassette is my next vote. I'm more of a FOP biker and a 50 x 11 is all I need. A 53 x 12 will easily get you to the point that tucking and coasting is more effective than pedaling.[/reply]
Quote Reply