Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

935 Optical HR - Will it pair?
Quote | Reply
Just so we're clear, what I'd like to do is utilize the optical HR of the 935 and pair that with my 510 (thus eliminating any use of straps, Scosche, etc.)

Garmin site hints I can do this. When I try to follow the instructions, it goes back to the time (default) face.

Anyone done this, successfully?
Quote Reply
Re: 935 Optical HR - Will it pair? [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes (with my 735XT) and 520, but only when I was also timing the activity with the 735XT. What I have not tried to fully figure out is how to have the watch's optical sensor in its more continuous activity mode and broadcasting while not timing an activity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know about the 510 but I broadcast my HR from the 935 to my Wahoo Element Bolt. When doing that the 935 screen shows HR in the middle of the watch face, a couple of symbols at the top (heart and a broadcast symbol) and the time at the bottom. Hope that helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
on the 735, go to the hr widget. Hold down the up button until you see "heart rate options", select heart options, scroll down to broadcast heart rate, hit start to enter broadcast mode.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: 935 Optical HR - Will it pair? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
on the 735, go to the hr widget. Hold down the up button until you see "heart rate options", select heart options, scroll down to broadcast heart rate, hit start to enter broadcast mode.

That only works if you go to settings first and tell it to turn on "Broadcast During Activity" -- otherwise it will work for a little bit and then it will turn off for some reason. I had to call Garmin to figure that bit of information out.
Quote Reply
Re: 935 Optical HR - Will it pair? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd like for the HR to show up (on the 510) - just as it does when I wear a strap.

I don't care what the 935 displays. I'd just like to use it to broadcast my HR to the 510.

**Edit -- OK....if I go through settings, I can get it to broadcast. I don't have the 510 with me to know if it's receiving, though. I'll check, later. Thanks! (and yes....when I'm in this mode, the HR is in the middle of the screen with the time at the bottom of the face).
Last edited by: nc452010: Jul 6, 17 10:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Settings -> Sensors -> Wrist Heart Rate -> Broadcast HR -> Now
Quote Reply
Re: 935 Optical HR - Will it pair? [ligersandtions] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
That only works if you go to settings first and tell it to turn on "Broadcast During Activity" -- otherwise it will work for a little bit and then it will turn off for some reason. I had to call Garmin to figure that bit of information out.

Not the case for the 935 I guess because I certainly didn't do that and was able to successfully record my HR for approx. 5 hrs per day of riding last week for 7 days.
Quote Reply
Re: 935 Optical HR - Will it pair? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Quote:

Not the case for the 935 I guess because I certainly didn't do that and was able to successfully record my HR for approx. 5 hrs per day of riding last week for 7 days.

Record on "what"?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Record on "what"?

On my Wahoo Element Bolt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are 2 options under the HR Options. Broadcast Heart Rate and Broadcast during activity on/off. If you just do the broadcast heart rate, you can't do an activity as well. So if you want to record the activity on the 935 and broadcast, turn the broadcast during activity to the On position. Then anytime you start an activity it will be broadcasting as well as tracking the activity.

Ron
Quote Reply
Re: 935 Optical HR - Will it pair? [WaterRat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WaterRat wrote:
There are 2 options under the HR Options. Broadcast Heart Rate and Broadcast during activity on/off. If you just do the broadcast heart rate, you can't do an activity as well. So if you want to record the activity on the 935 and broadcast, turn the broadcast during activity to the On position. Then anytime you start an activity it will be broadcasting as well as tracking the activity.

Ron

In the above scenario, do you have to have the 935 on "bike" mode (as AN example) to record optical HR on say a 510? I actually have no interest in tracking my bike rides on the 935.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, you don't need to be in any of the sport modes if you only want to broadcast the HR to the 510. Just go into the heart rate options and choose Broadcast Heart Rate. The 935 will then be broadcasting and the screen will only show your heart rate in the center of the 935 with symbols showing that your broadcasting at the top and current time of day at the bottom. The 935 will continue to broadcast until you hit any other button other than the backlight. Once you hit a button it will ask if you want to Exit Broadcast Mode and you can choose yes or no.

Ron
Quote Reply
Re: 935 Optical HR - Will it pair? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Yes (with my 735XT) and 520, but only when I was also timing the activity with the 735XT. What I have not tried to fully figure out is how to have the watch's optical sensor in its more continuous activity mode and broadcasting while not timing an activity.

I haven't tried it (while timing an activity), but my findings were the same as yours (without timing an activity with the 935). I was hoping to not have to do that (PITA factor).
Quote Reply
Re: 935 Optical HR - Will it pair? [WaterRat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WaterRat wrote:
No, you don't need to be in any of the sport modes if you only want to broadcast the HR to the 510. Just go into the heart rate options and choose Broadcast Heart Rate. The 935 will then be broadcasting and the screen will only show your heart rate in the center of the 935 with symbols showing that your broadcasting at the top and current time of day at the bottom. The 935 will continue to broadcast until you hit any other button other than the backlight. Once you hit a button it will ask if you want to Exit Broadcast Mode and you can choose yes or no.

Ron

I've only been playing with mine for a few days but had trouble pairing when it was in broadcast mode. Paired fine if I did what somebody mentioned above and broadcast during an activity but really don't want to always do that. I think I need to power everything down and try again.
Quote Reply
Re: 935 Optical HR - Will it pair? [biglazybum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where do you go on the 510/520 to pair with the watch, to pick up the broadcasted HR from the 935?
Quote Reply
Re: 935 Optical HR - Will it pair? [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
Where do you go on the 510/520 to pair with the watch, to pick up the broadcasted HR from the 935?

I'm not sure it's necessary, but I did a search for new HR sensor on the 510 (just like if you were going to add a new strapped sensor). It took a couple seconds).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nc452010 wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:

I'm not sure it's necessary, but I did a search for new HR sensor on the 510 (just like if you were going to add a new strapped sensor). It took a couple seconds).

That's what I did (or at least tried to do) as well.
Quote Reply
Re: 935 Optical HR - Will it pair? [biglazybum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
biglazybum wrote:
nc452010 wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:

That's what I did (or at least tried to do) as well.

Maybe stating the obvious but make sure you're in broadcast mode on the 935 when searching for the HR Device. Then you should be able to search/add a new device. I didn't have any issues doing this on a 520.

Ron
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While everyone is discussing whether or not it will work...just a quick note on whether it will work well.

I have a 735 and a 235 before that. I used the broadcast function many times and it broadcasts a HR, but it's more often than not cadence locked or just overly bouncy. I went back to a scosche since that is way better. Perhaps its the magical yellow LED or reading above the bicep instead of the wrist...I don't know...but it is actually useful data.
Quote Reply