Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: SRAM S-900 Aero HRD Disc brake TT levers! [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the fork like trek/look did with no problems. wait till those brake levers in that pic are replaced with these hydro ones and you are back to more surface area exposed to the wind than was saved with the narrow shape .

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/...front-profile-189773

looks pretty narrow to me.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM S-900 Aero HRD Disc brake TT levers! [mknight84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but but but they do not work as great as the disc brakes. Just wait it is coming.

For testing you can just take off the disc brakes and see what the results would be with the assumption that you can fit the brakes like shown. It would have been interesting to see.
Last edited by: BMANX: Jul 7, 17 9:43
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM S-900 Aero HRD Disc brake TT levers! [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They don't

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But do they have to? NOPE!
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM S-900 Aero HRD Disc brake TT levers! [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
neilridley wrote:
Rather than hydro they would have better spent the time making a standard set of tt brakes with etap buttons built in , don't like there blip solution at all

Agreed. I'd be a LOT more excited about a SRAM TT brake set that had shifter buttons and the transmitter function in it. Get rid of the Blip Box.

I don't think that's possible. I *believe* that Shimano has a patent on brake levers with integrated shift electronics.

Anyway, some thoughts after putting after 40hrs+ on these brakes on an Andean.

The "hump" of the larger reservoir looks weird when you mount it. But i folded over a piece of bar tape and put it behind them, then wrapped over that. That makes a much smoother transition. But having a bit of a bump there is nice when you are descending down something steep, as it give you something to brace your hand against. To me, it reminds me of the old Vuka Aero:

versus the new:

The old bar was really very nice in terms of ergonomics (except for the spindly brake levers). I find these new brakes, by virtue of the larger reservoir, give you something to really hold on to.

I'm certain there's an aerodynamic penalty to pay for that. But from an ergonomic standpoint, it's great.

The system uses a new barb (threads into the hose) and olive system that's really good. And then the bleed system uses two syringes, one of which threads into the lever, the other of which snaps into the caliper. I think this is the same as the RED disc brake system in general. Anyway, it's really easy to use and very clean. Much cleaner, IME, than bleeding the Maguras; not that one bleeds brakes with great frequency though. But bleeding is a really simple and straightforward process.

The levers have some texturing to them, which feels really nice. Ergonomically, these brakes are a real pleasure.

I've been running 140mm rotors front and rear and I ride some pretty steep descents. 140mm seems to work a-ok for me. I'll probably try 160mm at least in the front at some point, but for now, I haven't felt the need.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM S-900 Aero HRD Disc brake TT levers! [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what is the purpose of the bolt on the rear of the reservoir? is access to that required on a semi-regular basis? (just above the handlebar)
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM S-900 Aero HRD Disc brake TT levers! [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
what is the purpose of the bolt on the rear of the reservoir? is access to that required on a semi-regular basis? (just above the handlebar)

Bleed access port. You basically only need to access it to bleed the brakes, which for this system should really only be on install. Or maybe annually for a flush.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
jakesdk wrote:
BryanD wrote:
Exactly. All of that anti-disc brake mess and then Kiley proves everyone wrong.....except me :)

This just means we need new bars designed to work with these levers.

Is your interpretation of the test that disc brakes are faster?

From the Lava Magazine article

“Consistent braking in all conditions, it’s the perfect setup. I think once people try disc brakes, and experience the, they’ll realize how much they want it,” said Declan Doyle, marketing manager with Zipp and SRAM. “The future of the bicycle—for both road and tri—is with disc brakes.”

I completely agree.

Sure...of course he'd say that. It's not like the brand he works for produces mainly all-carbon wheels or anything :-/

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM S-900 Aero HRD Disc brake TT levers! [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those evil brand managers are out to get you Tom

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM S-900 Aero HRD Disc brake TT levers! [mknight84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mknight84 wrote:
In the fork like trek/look did with no problems. wait till those brake levers in that pic are replaced with these hydro ones and you are back to more surface area exposed to the wind than was saved with the narrow shape .

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/...front-profile-189773

looks pretty narrow to me.

That LOOK is hawt...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
But do they have to? NOPE!

But, there's NO reason they can't...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed and if set up correctly work very well.

BUT BUT BUT disc brakes are better right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still think that a brake system like this one on the new P5X would have been a faster set up. A good hydro brake set up with a very larger disc braking system would be amazing.

Quote Reply
Re: SRAM S-900 Aero HRD Disc brake TT levers! [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, hopefully this lever isn't the avid brake of the tri world...!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
I still think that a brake system like this one on the new P5X would have been a faster set up. A good hydro brake set up with a very larger disc braking system would be amazing.

...and now I want Cube's new TT bike. Is it me or do those look like new levers on the RT6?
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM S-900 Aero HRD Disc brake TT levers! [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
BMANX wrote:

...and now I want Cube's new TT bike. Is it me or do those look like new levers on the RT6?

My guess is that it's carbon lever upgrade. Knowing Andi Böcherer (whose bike that is), he wanted the all-black body of the RT6, but also wanted the carbon levers. So as to have an entirely black bike. If he'd gone with the RT8, it would have had red on it...

Quote Reply
Re: SRAM S-900 Aero HRD Disc brake TT levers! [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
BMANX wrote:

Oooh...the Cube is even hawter than the LOOK. How do I get me one of those forks? I need to build a custom TT frame around that...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right? Maybe chat up the boys over at Plane Frameworks

Edit: or maybe we could start a Kickstarter for proper aero tubing (I'm thinking a Kamm profile die for CrMo or maybe 6061 if its cheaper)
Last edited by: GreenPlease: Jul 7, 17 19:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
BMANX wrote:

Oooh...the Cube is even hawter than the LOOK. How do I get me one of those forks? I need to build a custom TT frame around that...

Love this bike too (seriously) !
One thing which I think works better on the LOOK is the front of the head tube is the front of the frame itself... not a part that can actually turn since it is attached to the stem or fork. Truth is when riding the bar is never straight so the aero section of a cover attached to the fork or of a bottle system (either integrated by the brand like Scott or Canyon or aftermarket like Torhans or Profile) is really NEVER what it looks like when you make a cut view with the bar perfectly straight...
My point with an image is page 13 in the 796 White Paper.

Of course I'm super biased but I thought it was worth mentioning ;-)
Last edited by: pyf: Jul 10, 17 2:53
Quote Reply

Prev Next