Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Racing in Bibs...um...help?
Quote | Reply
Hi All,

I've decided to race Ironman AC (70.3) in my De Soto 400 mile bibs. The question i'm struggling with is what do those who race with bibs on wear during the swim? Do you put your wetsuit over the bibs but sans tri top? Do you wear your tri top under the wetsuit?

Advise por favor!

J

---------------------------------------------------------------
My other car is a Felt. DFL>DNF>DNS.

"There will come a day you won't be able to do this, today is not that day."
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in Bibs...um...help? [misha1809] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would wear everything under the wetsuit, but do you know how those bibs feel when wet?
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in Bibs...um...help? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

Thanks for the response.

Save soaked with sweat, i've not swam in them yet though. They say they are buoyant...so we'll see.

J

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear de soto tri bib, trip top over. wetsuit on top of everything.

I wouldn't like that running in a diaper feeling for a half though wearing full on cycling bibs
Last edited by: ChrisM: Jul 5, 17 18:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried the 7mm bibs? I find them to be waaaaay more comfortable than the 400 mile bib thickness, and you can wear them start to finish no problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everything under the wetsuit.

Next run you do, soak them in water and squeeze them semi dri; then put them on for the run. See how they feel.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like the others have said, tri top and bibs under the wetsuit. Make sure you practice that way.

Have you considered what to do if it's a non-wetsuit swim?

Also I highly recommend the tri bibs. I use the 400 milers for long rides but I think the tri bibs are better for racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I raced in IM's 70.3 St. George last year, I wore bibs and a cycling top. I had both on under a full-sleeved wetsuit and it was no problem for me. Granted, I don't pee in my wetsuit though and would avoiding that when wearing heavily padded bibs! It was super comfortable on the bike though and I'll probably do that again in my next 70.3.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in Bibs...um...help? [daswafford] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
daswafford wrote:
When I raced in IM's 70.3 St. George last year, I wore bibs and a cycling top. I had both on under a full-sleeved wetsuit and it was no problem for me. Granted, I don't pee in my wetsuit though and would avoiding that when wearing heavily padded bibs! It was super comfortable on the bike though and I'll probably do that again in my next 70.3.

How was it on the run?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, I don't remember.... I was like frozen for most of it! (Last year we got freezing rain on the bike and it remained crazy cold for the entire run!)
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in Bibs...um...help? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not only do I wear everything under my wetsuit. I also have my race-belt and number, salt pills (in case I run out of InfinIT on the course), food, and most everything I need on the bike - but for my socks. Plus, not only do I not have to try to get dressed and packed - I dont have to go into the change tent (a blessing in itself). And, this is (as your post said) only a half.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing in Bibs...um...help? [OldFLTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you haven't run in them, don't try it on race day. I don't need to tell you the pad is gigantic, and will most likely chafe horribly. Can always change into run shorts quickly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I did IMLP last year I wore my run kit (tri shorts and top) under my wet suit during the swim. Afterwards, stripped and threw my favorite Assos bibs over the whole thing. After the bike, took off the bibs and ran comfortably in my kit.

AV8 | Team Wattie Ink Elite 2019
Quote Reply