Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Replacement Frame
Quote | Reply
So I cracked my frame just a month before my 70.3 race so I panicked and bought a cheap Slice (only size available in my area) and moved my components just for the race. I am hoping to buy a new frame set after the race. I have several bike shops that carry whatever brands where I am at and I am sure they can order what ever frames from their suppliers but it might take awhile to arrive.

So I am looking for a frame set with a budget of $5000. Any suggestions? Is there a time where frame sets get a price markdown? Should I wait longer until the new bikes come out? Thanks
Last edited by: Domiku: Jul 5, 17 15:54
Quote Reply
Re: Replacement Frame [Domiku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I'll ask what I see as an obvious question:

Does your broken frame qualify for a crash replacement from the manufacturer?

I had a Cervelo road bike and my chain skipped resulting in me hitting the top tube with my inner leg, and denting it (the Prodigy has some pretty thin walls!). I contacted Cervelo and was able to get a replacement frame, and they were awesome about the whole thing.

Depending on the manufacturer, circumstance, original owner, etc. it might be worth looking into. Unless you now have free reign to buy something new in which case tell me and I'll delete this before your SO sees it!
Quote Reply
Re: Replacement Frame [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I own a BMC TM01 2016 model. The frame cracked due to over tightening of the seat post clamp. I must have tightened it too much without knowing it (dumb expensive move) cause now there is a really small crack under the top tube where the bolt is located and I can't seem to tighten the seat post anymore. I am pretty frustrated with BMC since I have had this problem with my old TM02 having the seat post drop. I checked with the dealer with options I can do with the frame replacement or have it fixed. My local BMC distributor sent out the warrant/complain form and we are still waiting for a reply.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool, it sounds like you have it well in hand then. I can't offer anything in terms of a new frame, but good luck with it either way!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crapton a of options... Felt IAxx, Premier Tactical, Speed Concept. Heck, R&A cycles has a 2013 P5 for $3K. That is a steal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the replacement doesn't work out consider talking to Drew at cyclocarbon.

Can't say enough good things about his carbon repair work. Lots of my teammates and racing buddies have had him repair their damaged frames.

http://www.cyclocarbon.com/

Andy

Quote Reply
Re: Replacement Frame [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
..... Speed Concept. ......

This

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Replacement Frame [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speed Concept also.

You can get the series 7 framset for only 3k, a whole bike for 3-4k or even the series 9 framset for $4500
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Domiku wrote:
So I cracked my frame just a month before my 70.3 race so I panicked and bought a cheap Slice (only size available in my area) and moved my components just for the race. I am hoping to buy a new frame set after the race. I have several bike shops that carry whatever brands where I am at and I am sure they can order what ever frames from their suppliers but it might take awhile to arrive.

So I am looking for a frame set with a budget of $5000. Any suggestions? Is there a time where frame sets get a price markdown? Should I wait longer until the new bikes come out? Thanks

Just curious, how much of a difference do you notice between the BMC and Slice in terms of riding performance?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Domiku wrote:
So I am looking for a frame set with a budget of $5000. Any suggestions?

As nicely as possible.....use some of that money on carbon fiber paste and a torque wrench. Even those little pre-set torque keys work well and the 5nm version would be about right for nearly any seatpost bolt....or about any bolt on a bike.

Having that same frame, I can hardly imagine how hard somebody would have to crank on that thing to break the freaking frame. Or if somebody slipped in a longer bolt than what belonged and it cracked the bottom of the frame simply from bottoming out. Even if that occurred, it wouldn't do anything structurally and wouldn't be seen unless you flipped the bike over.
Quote Reply
Re: Replacement Frame [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input guys.

Update: Great news BMC just agreed to switch my busted frame! Will have to weigh options since I hate when the seatposts drops. I think I need to have my bike shop do something for that.

As of my new Slice, its really really comfortable but I dont feel like im going as fast as I am with my BMC. Although I raced pretty well overt the weekend :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Domiku wrote:
Update: Great news BMC just agreed to switch my busted frame! Will have to weigh options since I hate when the seatposts drops. I think I need to have my bike shop do something for that.

Again, carbon fiber paste and a torque wrench (or even a torque key pre-set at 5nm). If BMC truly replaced an entire freaking frame because you went to town tightening a bolt until the frame snapped, that's crazy.
Quote Reply
Re: Replacement Frame [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I wouldnt have noticed the crack until I rode one day and my seatpost fell. I didn't have tools on me on that ride so I just finished the ride with a slightly lower seat post. Then I sent my bike to get serviced at my LBS and asked them to put my seatpost back but they said they couldnt because there was a crack and etc.

BMC said they would replace it after I sent them a warranty/complaint form. They resonded saying that they would take care of the frame and replace it. Great customer service. Think im going to be BMC for life after this :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Domiku wrote:
Great customer service. Think im going to be BMC for life after this :)

That was my experience too. Along with making good bikes, they seem to be doing a lot right. It's kind of fun that they have kept Cadel Evans on as well.
Quote Reply