Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

rear disc: cover vs full?
Quote | Reply
I'm contemplating getting a rear disc or disc cover.
How much more of an advantage is an actual disc over a disc cover?
(say, a Flo carbon disk vs WheelBuilder Aerojacket )
Last edited by: srschick: Jul 5, 17 15:55
Quote Reply
Re: rear disc: cover vs full? [srschick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

zero
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
srschick wrote:
I'm contemplating getting a rear disc or disc cover.
(say, a Flo vs Aerojacket)

yeah nothing in it. I'm not sure why disc covers aren't more popular. I saw a few in Australia a couple of years ago, haven't seen one for a long time though. Have a look at the 2nd market, plenty of cheap discs going for around $500
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is no advantage. I was once skeptical of this but some aero authorities have chimed in here over the years to say as much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The advantage performance wise isn't much if any, cost it isn't even close. I like having modularity so if I get to a site and they say "no discs" I can just remove the cover.

That said I may buy a disc wheel one of these days since clearance on my Trek SC is so close with a disc cover... in fact the Wheelbuilder site has my bike as unsupported for its cover. It works though with the speed sensor removed... and I think I even removed the rubber grommet.
Quote Reply
Re: rear disc: cover vs full? [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
That said I may buy a disc wheel one of these days since clearance on my Trek SC is so close with a disc cover... in fact the Wheelbuilder site has my bike as unsupported for its cover. It works though with the speed sensor removed... and I think I even removed the rubber grommet.

Same problem here (Trek SC), but I've heard it'll work by taping down to the spokes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a gen 2 7.5 and the aerojacket works on mine without having to tape cover to spokes or remove the rubber grommet. As long as I can get the cover to not be warped its not even really that close to the grommet or the bump out of the frame for the duotrap sensor.
Quote Reply
Re: rear disc: cover vs full? [tonyg420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tonyg420 wrote:
I have a gen 2 7.5 and the aerojacket works on mine without having to tape cover to spokes or remove the rubber grommet. As long as I can get the cover to not be warped its not even really that close to the grommet or the bump out of the frame for the duotrap sensor.
Good to know... I'm having a Gen 2 built right now and if it has more clearance, that'll be awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I don't dispute that there is no aero difference and certainly the cover is orders-of-magnitude cheaper, I have to admit I hated dealing with disc covers. They were a pain in the ass to put on and take off. Once I finally had the money to spare, I was very happy to go to a full, dedicated carbon disc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No womp womp womp - obvious disadvantage.

WB has data listed on their site and a few bullet points in support of the comments above. Overall it performs to and in some cases outperforms other discs on the test they ran. It does depend on the wheel you use it with, but there are perks all around.

http://www.wheelbuilder.com/aerodisc-data.html

My own experience, I started with an Aerojacket. Now I run an actual "disc wheel" (carbon over spoke), which really isn't anything more than a permanently sealed carbon jacket. I saw no noticeable performance change for myself. I do recommend you tape it on instead of using the Chicago screw set it comes with, for two reasons. The first, it's next to impossible to get the jacket to sit smooth with those screws, trying to avoid bow in the shape. And two, the jacket will not BANG against the rim when you hit a bump. They cut it pretty close and tailor to your wheel size, but I have yet to see a jacket that sits flush. 3M electrical all the way around the edge, it won't go anywhere and it should maintain it's lenticular shape, just watch the brake track and half/half the tape as you run it around (half on the rim, half on the jacket).

The first world problems, you have to remove your cassette to put it on, you have to tape it, you have to remove the cassette to get it off, if there is residue from the tape you have to scrub it off your wheel, and you don't sound like a freight train.

To move to a "disc" back wheel, 100 dollars for the Aerojacket benefit is the cheapest speed in the disc world.

Regards,
J. Smith
Last edited by: jsmith82: Jul 6, 17 13:52
Quote Reply
Re: rear disc: cover vs full? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is wonderful news. Can you run them on averge clinchers like Mavic ksyrium sl from 2014?
Quote Reply
Re: rear disc: cover vs full? [RonanIRL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RonanIRL wrote:
This is wonderful news. Can you run them on averge clinchers like Mavic ksyrium sl from 2014?

Absolutely. I had an Aerojacket cut to fit a 2012 Ksyrium SL.

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Re: rear disc: cover vs full? [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
While I don't dispute that there is no aero difference and certainly the cover is orders-of-magnitude cheaper, I have to admit I hated dealing with disc covers. They were a pain in the ass to put on and take off. Once I finally had the money to spare, I was very happy to go to a full, dedicated carbon disc

+1. I got a used disc pretty cheap (I wanna say $300 for what was about a $700 disc new at the time, mid-2000s); served me well for years. If you're not sure you're gonna use it much, it's a bit of an extravagance, but for me the extra cost was easily worth not having to dick around w/ fastening/modifying anything more than just taping over the valve hole. If you need one quickly that's probably a longshot, but if you can afford to be patient there are good deals coming around all the time (although that kind of shopping can be its own headache, so occasionally I'll just give up and pay more to get something sooner).
Quote Reply
Re: rear disc: cover vs full? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You will be persecuted for the correct answer...prepare for war!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:

Yeah not really worth it, when there's a plethora of discs out there you can have for $300 - $400.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with Joe O - I had a disc cover for my powertap training wheel and I could tape it up to work with my Speed Concept. However, the taping process could tape up to an hour as I had to tape both sides to be certain it wouldn't ever rub. I did it for a couple of seasons but eventually bought a second hand disc, when I went to Powertap pedals, and was glad I did. That, however, was solely due to convenience, as any research I have seen suggests zero aero benefit between a disc and cover. I'd always wanted a Zipp Disc since I was about 13 as well, so that helped my decision making!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unlike others, I prefer my Jet Disc over my Jet 90 with a cover.

Granted my Jet Disc is brand new with the C2 rim and my Jet 90 is a 2008 with the narrower rim. (650C)

On the 90 I taped the cover to the drive side spokes and taped the edge of both sides to the rim. I never had any problems doing it that way, no movement at all.
Quote Reply
Re: rear disc: cover vs full? [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As an aside, I'm not really sure why the Duotrap needs to exist these days with Garmin units and cadence built into crank based PMs. Assuming of course, if you have an SC you could probably afford the latter.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: rear disc: cover vs full? [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree although it's handy with Trainerroad virtual power if you have no power meter ... giant has one too I believe? Ridesense or something?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RonanIRL wrote:

My buddy Dan runs one on a 2014 Oval Concept 327 stock aluminum clincher. Doesn't get more average than that. Have fun with your purchase.

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Re: rear disc: cover vs full? [jsmith82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jsmith82 wrote:
RonanIRL wrote:

My buddy Dan runs one on a 2014 Oval Concept 327 stock aluminum clincher. Doesn't get more average than that. Have fun with your purchase.

Sweet so just find a nice aero front wheel and bob's your uncle!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RonanIRL wrote:
jsmith82 wrote:
RonanIRL wrote:

Sweet so just find a nice aero front wheel and bob's your uncle!

If I remember right he got the front from China, picked up for less than 200, it was just the carbon and nothing else. After having it built up by our LBS, spokes, hub, his "racing" setup of a deep carbon front and disc back cost in total around 350-400 bucks.

Regards,
J. Smith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you guys take the cover off between races? I got a wheelbuilder cover in June and am using it with the bolts it came with (no tape) and it's working fine though I have not taken the cover off my rear race wheel between races when I switch out my race wheels to training wheels. Any issue or damage to the wheel likely to occur leaving it on?
Quote Reply
Re: rear disc: cover vs full? [jsmith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I take mine off between races unless it's a week or so. Depends on if I'll be riding long between races. I don't use the screws, only tape and much prefer it that way.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: rear disc: cover vs full? [jsmith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I contacted wheelbuilder this week with this question. It's no problem to just keep the cover on the wheel. They said regular riding would put wear and tear on the cover so they don't recommend that though.

jsmith wrote:
Do you guys take the cover off between races? I got a wheelbuilder cover in June and am using it with the bolts it came with (no tape) and it's working fine though I have not taken the cover off my rear race wheel between races when I switch out my race wheels to training wheels. Any issue or damage to the wheel likely to occur leaving it on?
Quote Reply