Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Did Roval just announce new Disc? [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
So the super 9 is 'slow'?

I don't think it's any faster than a $700 Renn disc. I base that on what I've observed with friends and fellow competitors that have dumped $3k on a Super 9 and performance gains have ranged from negligible to zero. Previous wheels have ranged from things like 1080s, 808s to Chinese deep dish rims. Similarly with bikes, P2 - P5, very little difference, wetsuits, helmets etc etc Obviously these are just my observations and don't classify as a study or reliable data, but I haven't seen one single product in triathlon that stands head and shoulders above it's competitors in regards to performance, nothing that tells me I should buy it. No idea how companies like Mavic and Zipp can sell discs for $3k when the likes of Flo and Renn are selling them for almost a quarter of the price. The only significant change in a triathletes performance, that I've seen, is a increase/improvement to their training. How would a a guy on a 5 year old P2 with wheel cover go compared to a someone on a new P5 with Super 9? 1 min over a 70.3? And that's being generous.
Last edited by: zedzded: Jul 5, 17 18:23
Quote Reply
Re: Did Roval just announce new Disc? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
coates_hbk wrote:

No idea how companies like Mavic and Zipp can sell discs for $3k when the likes of Flo and Renn are selling them for almost a quarter of the price.

Construction differences. The Zipp wheel is foam. The Flo and Renn have spokes are are easier to manufacture.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Did Roval just announce new Disc? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
zedzded wrote:
coates_hbk wrote:

No idea how companies like Mavic and Zipp can sell discs for $3k when the likes of Flo and Renn are selling them for almost a quarter of the price.

Construction differences. The Zipp wheel is foam. The Flo and Renn have spokes are are easier to manufacture.

Renn is foam.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
BryanD wrote:
zedzded wrote:
coates_hbk wrote:

Renn is foam.

Oops. Well....there are obvious differences between the wheels. Zipp marketing, engineering, etc. cost more.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Did Roval just announce new Disc? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
super 9 not getting a lot of love in this thread, I don't think its as slow as Grilld makes it appear to be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
super 9 not getting a lot of love in this thread, I don't think its as slow as Grilld makes it appear to be.

I wouldn't say it's slow, but I would say the difference between that a $150 Wheelcover or $700 Renn disc would be negligible and because of it's much higher price, it's slow for the money. If you know what I mean. I don't know how they manage to sell them at $3k... I scratch my head.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh I don't think its faster than any other disc really at all....that 3k is for the sound lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
oh I don't think its faster than any other disc really at all....that 3k is for the sound lol

ha ha yeah I wouldn't buy a disc that didn't make a decent sound! My Renn (now sold) sounded like a 747 taking off :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
BryanD wrote:
zedzded wrote:
coates_hbk wrote:

Renn is foam.

Well honeycomb.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:

Never said that, just that there are faster options that are cheaper. But that's the problem with all Zipp products, you buy them for the name, not to go fast.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Roval just announce new Disc? [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have always been curious about lenticular vs flat with discs....but i figured we are probably into such small gains of one over the other
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frame design makes all the difference there.
Fastest to slowest discs you're only talking ~5w, which is why paying top dollar isn't really worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: Did Roval just announce new Disc? [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see... I have a super 9 on my speed concept- I often wonder if it's worth selling it and recouping some coin and getting a cheaper disc... but the sound!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
I see... I have a super 9 on my speed concept- I often wonder if it's worth selling it and recouping some coin and getting a cheaper disc... but the sound!

I've been checking out FFWD discs - $800 on Wiggle, also check out Renn, they make a cool sound.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

well that looks bad ass. Problem is I would sell my super 9 second hand (2015 model clincher) and would only be able to pay for this and nothing else lol.
[/url][/url]
[/url]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Renn 5-5-ĹŤ like all of our previous wheels use a honeycomb core. 24mm wide rim now.

Thanks, Frank
Renn Multisport
Quote Reply

Prev Next