Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2015 Trek 7.5...new fork after damage
Quote | Reply
So I hit a big pothole recently and checked my bike after the ride. It had a bit of a blemish on the fork and I assumed it would be best to check with my local shop to see what's the next move was. They thought it would would be a good idea to make a damage claim and contacted Trek by sending pictures. After a week they got a new fork in the mail without Trek doing any direct contact with the dealer. Either way it cost me about $90 after labor to get the replacement fork, which I'm fine with.

Two things of note:

#1: The new fork is solid jet black without decals, and not the same that came with the bike. It definitely doesn't match the paint of the rest of the bike. Since I plan on riding the bike forever it's not a big deal to me, but still...

#2: The old fork had a decent amount of water in it. Enough to where you could shake the fork and hear it splash around. It makes you wonder if how many carbon frames have water hanging around inside of them.

Last question...am I being over the top by whining about the matching paint job???
Quote Reply
Re: 2015 Trek 7.5...new fork after damage [SwiftRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paint? Petty? Sure, but I would complain too.

Water? Trek is good at making things...really good. Typically there are small holes to drain water, but, typically they fill with paint and clear coat (check your new fork...maybe with no paint they are clear!)

Water in a frame, fork, wheel is very common. I once had a set of wheels that would quadruple their weight on rainy days, act like flywheels and be killer on flat time trials once you got the inertia up.

But, your fork tips are either carbon or aluminum....there, I bet is very little steel on your bike. And, when you are at your anaerobic threshold are you looking at your paint :-)

Kudos to Trek...again, for proving what phenomenal customer service is.

(Thinking a bit...who gave you this fork? Did Trek ship it to YOU or to the shop?...just saying. Trek always has OE spares in the hundreds so that the fork will more often than not be the same but for color. But, the profile, races, steerer and what not...generally identical unless you have an old old bike - yours is not)
Last edited by: OldFLTriGuy: Jul 5, 17 7:31
Quote Reply