Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Say F*** it? [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You'll find a lot of folks out there on sailboats doing exactly this. Some have really cool ways to generate a little cash along the way - fixing systems on other boats, selling homemade pizza in remote anchorages to other boats, yoga on the beach, etc. When we did our trip on our sailboat, I was expecting to spend about $3,000/mo to survive. Most months we spend $0 - when we stayed in remote anchorages there was literally nothing to spend any money on. As long as you've stacked the boat with spares and supplies you can go for months without spending a single dollar on your survival (insurance and such nothwithstanding). Most spend the bulk of their $s on marinas and restaurants along with trips home. We didn't.
Quote Reply
Re: Say F*** it? [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Living in SE Asia or Indian sun continent, depending on your expectations you can live on peanuts indefinitely

There are plenty of blogs of people travelling indefinitely on peanuts

My mortgage may be 50/day. Rental might be 100/day. You could live forever on the difference in many parts of the world and you would be rich

It wont be the W but relatively you will be a baller
Quote Reply
Re: Say F*** it? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
In the cups a bit, but do you ever want to say fuck it and just travel the world? Morocco Tunisia Egypt Turkey HK Singapore Cook Islands New Zealand Uruguay Chile Galapagos Canary Islands Portugal. We could do it financially but it would set us back a bit and then there's the rest of the stuff. Eh she'd never agree and I won't tomorrow either.

Your loss. You better get back to work because I'm sure it's a lot more fun and exciting than traveling the world.....

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not the same situation and dream, but I am feeling released after practice partner & I received an unsolicited offer on our building, which led to thinking "maybe time" (he's 69 me 67)
Practice closed and Drs retired effective 5.00pm 06-30-17.
actually good timing as end of Corp FY, holiday long weekend etc
some loose ends (actually many loose ends after 46 year practice/business)

On, on

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Re: Say F*** it? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let me know if you want to house swap for vacations!
Quote Reply
Re: Say F*** it? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have that thought every other week or so.

Pretty much every day. I'm 49 this year and started working full time plus when I was 16. Worked two full time jobs the summer after my junior year and that pretty much set the pace for the rest of my life...sadly. Started my business when I was ~23-24 and in the 23-24 years I was in business I had more years that I took no time off than I had years where I took a week off. I had probably an entire handful of years where I actually took two weeks off in a year in that time frame. If I had enough money I'd definitely say fuck it and be out the door.

~Matt

Quote Reply
Re: Say F*** it? [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you navigate customs when you enter on a boat? I am picturing pulling up to a dock, getting off the boat and no one is the wiser. I assume it's more formal with set points of entry and procedures.
Quote Reply
Re: Say F*** it? [too.tall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You must formally enter the country at the first point (Ensenada for us) and present passports, travel visa, Mexican insurance, fishing license, and crew list. After that, any port with a port captain requires formal entry and a port captain fee - usually can be a small cash bribe, then you're required to formally exit when departing. If you stay in remote areas like we did then no formalities but supplies, etc for any local fisherman and families goes a long way. Get caught entering illegally or into/out of a port without port captain authorization and your boat will be impounded and you're in deep and expensive trouble. And expect to be randomly boarded by the Mexican Navy occasionally. Smiles and gifts usually work well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Following this thread with interest.

Recent life events have had me contemplating just taking off and travelling solo. But wondering about how to make finances work.

Apart from dipping into savings, what are other ways to generate some income on the road?
Quote Reply
Re: Say F*** it? [noodle_soup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noodle_soup wrote:

Recent life events have had me contemplating just taking off and travelling solo. But wondering about how to make finances work.

Apart from dipping into savings, what are other ways to generate some income on the road?

Selling your body to older horny British Tourists. Drug smuggling. Scratch lottery tickets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
noodle_soup wrote:

Teaching English works for many. Thinking of taking off is not easy for most to do but constantly thinking of doing takes a lot of effort. If one has a bit saved and can take off for a few weeks or months, the rest will follow. I have known people who biked around for a while without a life plan and kept rolling far past their initial plan. They returned home and all was good and required even less money to live.

Quote | Reply

Just don't be that guy who goes around asking people to help finance your travels...

It's pretty hard to generate income when traveling, unless you have a job that you can do online. Teaching English in places like Korea or Japan is a good option, that will pay all your expenses but of course you have to stay in one spot. I have a friend teaching English online while traveling but he has had a lot of problems with that (lack of internet connection, problems collecting money etc.).

My advise would be to stay where you are and work and then go travel but don't mix the two. You get far more out of traveling if you don't always worry about money. You can live very cheaply if you are willing to give up comforts but most people aren't. They think they can be it's not as easy as it sounds.

If you are serious, take a week or two and try it. Go visit somewhere and bring a tent and try living on a few dollars a day. Don't eat out, don't get a newspaper, don't use a car, don't stay in a hotel etc. See if it is something you can do for an extended time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tefl is the standard for working japan

Depending on what you want to do. Most gap year students go with sone savings then travel say through india / se Asia when they get to oz / nz they do bar work or something then move on and travel again. You can live on very little in most parts of the world

If you can rent your house and cover mortgage great. Any more stash it as a rainy day fund

Or as someone else suggested learn to sail and live on a boat

Plenty of RTW sailors and bikers and motorcyclists

If you want to see some examples google lyndon poskit racing or go ob aDV rider and look at epix ride reports

http://advrider.com/...-of-them-all.834987/

This is the greatest adventure bike thread i have ever read

This is the vitm bridge on the BaM road. You fall you die so most people push their bikes across cos the bridge is wrecked. It usually takes a couplenof hours......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I keep telling the wife that we should just stop paying all of our bills, take out all the credit we can find then max it out for cash, sell off everything we don't need, then, after 6 - 12 months when they are looking to foreclose and sue we file bankruptcy, load up the travel trailer and head thataway with a suitcase of cash. I think we could easily be up around 1/4 million after a year.

It would be just like you graduated from college with no job, but you have a suitcase of cash.

She's not buying it.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Say F*** it? [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy101 wrote:
Plus think of the Facebook posts ;)

Reminds me of an Onion Article:

6-Day Visit To Rural African Village Completely Changes Woman’s Facebook Profile Picture

War is god
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have definitely considered it. Problem being, we are only lately in "prime earning years" and that will probably only last a handful of years. The opportunity cost would be massive. Things will almost definitely change in 2 to 10 years.
Quote Reply
Re: Say F*** it? [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depending on what you do. A 6 month sabbatical or leave of absence may be a half way house

We met an irish family in mauritius a couple of years ago

Their kids were leaving HS and heading to UNi and dad was a lawyer so he took their entire final summet off, 3.5-4 months ans they literally went around the world

We met them at the end of the trip and it was back to work the ext week
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have thought about teaching English and Japan is of interest, I will check that out.

Sanuk, please check out my gofundme page here. /pink

I do like the idea of downsizing life and costs and plan to do longer travels annually.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have a look at angry white pyjamas by twigger

3 hopeless brits doing nothing in tokyo who sign up for a police martial arts course for a year

Won william hill sports book prize

I met a bloke in tokyo who owns a Izakaya. He met a girl. Moved. Married and never left

I'd move to japan or india tomorrow for a year if i could. Both amazing for just completely opposite reasons
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if I could handle India for a year, and I've been to some pretty poor places.

I guess it depends where though. Goa would be nicer then say, a Kolkata slum :).

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Say F*** it? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess it depends where though. Goa would be nicer then say, a Kolkata slum :).

I was in Goa and the Dharavi slum in Mumbai (Slumdog Millionaires was filmed there). It is one the most densely populated areas on earth, home to about 1 million people. I met a guy while walking and he asked if I could help him with his English and in return, he would be a guide anywhere I wanted to go in Mumbai so I said I'd like to go to Dharavi. He couldn't believe it but he went with me, on the trains and we walked through.

I was also in the slums of Manila but the Dharavi one is probably worse, unbelievable conditions. I remember walking through and came to a main street and it was completely blocked with Muslims kneeling down praying. It was a really bizarre scene.

But yes, there are some nice places in India but to spend a year would be pretty tough. After 2 months I left and landed in Bangkok and people warned me about the loud noise and chaos but when I arrived it felt like a mountain retreat compared with Mumbai.

Quote Reply
Re: Say F*** it? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a friend who owns 2 bars in Bangkok, one boy one girl bar. Business wise its epic. Corrupt. Partners are generals. All done in cash. Maddest business / passive income idea i had ever heard of

I think India as a professional ex pat can be an amazing experience and travelling from goa to darjeeling and everything in between would be awesome.

The place is just bonkers
Quote Reply

Prev Next