Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is This a Violation of the US Flag Code?
Quote | Reply
Just wondering... ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Is This a Violation of the US Flag Code? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Last edited by: Leddy: Jul 4, 17 16:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are two flag violations there. (3 if you include the 2-piece as two flags).

Edit: Take it back. The hanging flag is OK.
Last edited by: trail: Jul 4, 17 16:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never really understood flag desecration laws in the USA (and other countries) as in the end all it is is a piece of cloth irregardless of what it represents. I remember years ago some poor guy got arrested for patching a hole in the the ass of his blue jeans with an American flag.

We actually don't have a flag desecration law in Canada but I found this tidbit on Wiki....

" Canada has no laws prohibiting flag desecration. Acts of this nature are forms of expression protected by the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
In 1999, members of the Westboro Baptist Church from the United States staged a burning of the Canadian Flag outside of the Supreme Court of Canada in Ottawa, Ontario. This was to protest legalization of same-sex marriage which was being adjudicated by the Canadian court."
Quote Reply
Re: Is This a Violation of the US Flag Code? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
I've never really understood flag desecration laws in the USA (and other countries) as in the end all it is is a piece of cloth irregardless of what it represents. I remember years ago some poor guy got arrested for patching a hole in the the ass of his blue jeans with an American flag.

False. SCOTUS has ruled prosecution for flag desecration is an unconstitutional violation of the First Amendment.

http://thelawdictionary.org/...lag-burning-illegal/

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Is This a Violation of the US Flag Code? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:

False. SCOTUS has ruled prosecution for flag desecration is an unconstitutional violation of the First Amendment.

http://thelawdictionary.org/...lag-burning-illegal/

Not illegal maybe for now?

"For the past 20 years, the Congress has made seven attempts to overrule the Supreme Court decision regarding the burning of the American flag by passing a constitutional amendment that had an exception to the First Amendment and allowed the government to ban flag desecration. The Amendment was first proposed in 1990 but failed to receive the required two-thirds majority votes of the House. After 1994, when the Republicans took over the Congress, the Amendment has consistently passed in the House but failed in the Senate."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anything is possible.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Is This a Violation of the US Flag Code? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Anything is possible.

I agree. We do live in strange times.
Quote Reply
Re: Is This a Violation of the US Flag Code? [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:

Not THAT's a violation of SOMETHING, for sure. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:

We actually don't have a flag desecration law in Canada but I found this tidbit on Wiki....

" Canada has no laws prohibiting flag desecration. Acts of this nature are forms of expression protected by the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
In 1999, members of the Westboro Baptist Church from the United States staged a burning of the Canadian Flag outside of the Supreme Court of Canada in Ottawa, Ontario. This was to protest legalization of same-sex marriage which was being adjudicated by the Canadian court."

Pro tip, Cuba bans it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a Canadian living in the USA. It comes down to history. America has had a version of the stars and bars that had flown through the revolution, 1812, civil war, both world wars and is a national rallying point. We have had the maple leaf for barely 50 years. Never flew at Vichy, or Paschendale. There is just nowhere near the relationship between flag and country between the two. you have to realize how important this symbolism is. Canada is just playing at it in comparison.
And JSA a is right, flags can be desecrated here under first amendment

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! So many violations... Law enforcement are going to be busy today!

Quote Reply
Re: Is This a Violation of the US Flag Code? [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Each of these violations needs to be thoroughly investigated, I'd say. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:

Hey new guy quit perving
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Just call me Sherlock Holmes :-D
Quote Reply
Re: Is This a Violation of the US Flag Code? [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
getcereal wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

Just call me Sherlock Holmes :-D

I'll be your Watson! ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't it only be a violation if they were made from real flags? I think thats my understanding if I read that last time some posted the code. I am too lazy to look it up.
Quote Reply
Re: Is This a Violation of the US Flag Code? [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
orphious wrote:
Wouldn't it only be a violation if they were made from real flags? I think thats my understanding if I read that last time some posted the code. I am too lazy to look it up.

Yes. Clothing and other such articles are generally exempt from the guidelines set out in the Flag Code -- violations of which are not punishable under the law, by the way.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
orphious wrote:

Yes. Clothing and other such articles are generally exempt from the guidelines set out in the Flag Code -- violations of which are not punishable under the law, by the way.

But at one time it was considered poor taste to wear clothes mimicking flags. Still is in my view.
Quote Reply
Re: Is This a Violation of the US Flag Code? [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
orphious wrote:

But at one time it was considered poor taste to wear clothes mimicking flags. Still is in my view.

Clothing isn't really exempt from the Flag Code. The Code says that the flag should not be used for "wearing apparel", and no part of the flag should ever be used for costumes or athletic clothing, except for patches on uniforms for military, police, firemen, and "patriotic organizations."

Clothing isn't exempt. However, there is no penalty for violating federal flag code. The code explicitly leaves penalties up to the individual States and D.C. Each State has its own flag laws which might impose penalties, but in the past, at least for desecration laws, they have run afoul of Constitutional freedom of expression protections.

Good taste is a separate issue, and it frequently runs counter to "sexy as hell."

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Is This a Violation of the US Flag Code? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I learned in researching this subject for an article some time ago, it was the intent of the law to define wearing of the actual flag and when it was a violation (typically almost all of the time, except for those draping-of-the-flag exhibitions in the Olympics and whatnot), not flag-evoking apparel. I don't think that any of the, uh, uh, ladies ;-) in the photos -- and especially that near-porcine male, and he must be fabulously wealthy or famous hahahaha! -- are actually taking a flag and cutting it into patterns for clothing.

But I'm with you. It's generally in poor taste, in my opinion, to wear any of that stuff. So they should all take it off, immediately. Except for that guy. He needs to cover up, ASAP.

Quote Reply