Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hermosa day at the beach tri in SoCal - worth doing?
Quote | Reply
I forgot that I signed up through a super early promo late last year. Got the athlete's guide yesterday, looked at the bike course and it appears to be a complete clusterfuck - narrow, waves merging, mountain bikes and tri bikes on the same course, no passing zones, you know the drill...

$60 is a sunk cost - but should I bother doing it? I'd hate getting into a gnarly wreck in something like this.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Hermosa day at the beach tri in SoCal - worth doing? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll just give my .02. It used to run down into Redondo beach for two big loops. Then they moved it to the current three loop clusterfuck it is today. It's one of my local hometown races but I won't do it again unless they change the bike course. It's not only narrow, it's super narrow as they only close off one lane, so you've got cars in the mix as well. You've got really slow folks (nothing wrong with it), medium folks and very fast folks battling for something like 8 feet of space. Add very tight nearly 180 degree turns, and later waves merging into current waves and it's a recipe for disaster IMO.
Last edited by: ChrisM: Jul 4, 17 21:36
Quote Reply
Re: Hermosa day at the beach tri in SoCal - worth doing? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The swim is super short, but be prepared for surf entry when you begin. The run is along the beach, an out and back on the strand, and is nice. But I agree with the previous post, with regards to the bike course. It gets really tight. If you are trying to average 24+ mph you will get really frustrated when beginners or non-competitive types are riding two or three abreast. Lots of braking, getting out of aero position to avoid people, and yelling 'on your left' with nearly every exhale. That being said, the only crashes I saw were on either end of the loops, both times it was somebody leaning too far into a turn that takes you over painted cross-walks. Overall I did have fun, and as long as you accept that you are participating in a very beginner friendly event, I'd say it is still worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd do it for $60. Price is now $120, add $10 USTri, $10 service fee, $10 for something else. $150 for a sprint isn't worth it especially seeing bike course concerns.
Quote Reply