Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shut it down and switch "A" race or train through?
Quote | Reply
I've been struggling with some right foot problems for the last 3 weeks. My best guess is plantar fascittis. I'm not sure what caused it which is the frustrating part. I haven't really changed much training wise. I did purchase new bike shoes (same brand) but I noticed they are slightly narrower in the toe box but I was riding a few weeks without any problems with them before the foot problems appeared. I also took out a spacer but it was only 5mm so not much difference there. I'm wondering if my body just needs some rest. However, I'm 10 weeks out till IMWI. I just missed a KQ spot last year at IMWI and I was really hoping to get it this year. My fitness has improved since last September so if everything went according to plan in race then I would have a good chance. So I'm wondering what to do at this point. Do I shut down the running for a week or so to see if this helps the foot? I'm still running despite the foot stuff. It feels sore the 1st mile then it goes away. Maybe try just treadmill running. It almost seems like my heel wants a break from the pounding of the road is a good way to describe it. Or do I consider taking an easy two weeks (let body recover) and transfer to a later race such as IM Louisville or IM Florida?
Quote Reply
Re: Shut it down and switch "A" race or train through? [trimac2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd try a week w/o running now, then make a decision after that - you could take another week easy / just a little running, or maybe it will feel better.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Shut it down and switch "A" race or train through? [trimac2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Describe the exact symptoms/pain with the foot.

Generally, it sounds like PF (heel soreness, pain goes away after a mile, etc.). If so, you might try stretching calves, gentle heel drops, Straussburg Sock overnight (it works), and rolling soles (PF) several time a day with Rubz ball or equivalent.

Try these things for a 7-10 days then re-evaluate.
Last edited by: Brushman: Jul 4, 17 10:33
Quote Reply
Re: Shut it down and switch "A" race or train through? [Brushman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brushman wrote:
Describe the exact symptoms/pain with the foot.

Generally, it sounds like PF (heel soreness, pain goes away after a mile, etc.). If so, you might try stretching calves, gentle heel drops, Straussberg Sock overnight (it works), and rolling soles (PF) several time a day with Rubz ball or equivalent.

Try these things for a 7-10 days then re-evaluate.

I am also using the sock that you wear overnight seems to be working except mine doesn't stay up overnight ends up falling off around 4 or 5 a.m.
Quote Reply
Re: Shut it down and switch "A" race or train through? [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not painful but more sore feeling. It almost feels bruised?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Curious to hear from the OP, how are things going since your first post?

I got hit with mild to moderate plantar fasciitis about 4 days ago, and am nursing my wound...A race is 7 weeks away for me.

I've decided to attack mine with stretching, calf massage, and rest...until a semi-sprint tri in one week. So I guess I'm doing a "do nothing" taper for my B race in one week (will still bike and swim), and see how things go.

My foot dr doesn't seem worried about my A race, but we'll see. I'm certainly not feeling like I'll perform as well as I'd hoped for, if I can race at all.

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply