Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sikh Community Saves Town's Fireworks Display (Visalia, CA)
Quote | Reply
Sikhs -- a community that originated in India when the monotheism was founded by the Guru Nanak in the 15th century -- sometimes catch a bad rap here in the United States from the more ignorant among us, and it's often due to the males' wearing of a stylized turban (although not all males choose to wear it) and religious practices with which we're largely unfamiliar. Fortunately, Sikhs are by and large left to worship here in the United States as they will (just as almost all religions are left to do so, except if their practices are deemed harmful to themselves or to others or if their norms fall outside the bounds of the law), and the community has thrived. That's a good thing, especially considering that respect for religion is enshrined in the very first amendment contained within the Bill of Rights.

At any rate, the Central Valley town of Visalia, California -- which has suffered economically since the Great Recession -- was in danger of having to forego its annual 4th of July fireworks display due to tightened financial straits, a fact the burg's mayor happened to mention in passing to a local Sikh businessman. This gentleman and his fellow Sikhs immediately geared up and raised $10,000, a handsome sum more than sufficient to fund the fireworks event plus benefit a children's charity.

"Visalia considers this to be very generous and helpful. We appreciate their show of patriotic support, as one of our newer groups of American citizens," Visalia Mayor Warren Gubler told NBC News.

The donation is part of a new nationwide campaign to educate Americans about Sikhs that launched earlier this year with $1 million in TV advertising featuring Sikh families playing football, discussing their love of "Game of Thrones," and explaining that "Sikh values are American values."

A hearty "thank you!" goes out to the Sikh community here in America. Your kindness and generosity is a display of the best of what Americans can be. :-)

Sikh Community Saves Town's July Fourth Fireworks Display

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Sikh Community Saves Town's Fireworks Display (Visalia, CA) [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Sikhs -- a community that originated in India when the monotheism was founded by the Guru Nanak in the 15th century -- sometimes catch a bad rap here in the United States from the more ignorant among us, and it's often due to the males' wearing of a stylized turban (although not all males choose to wear it) and religious practices with which we're largely unfamiliar.

Also, the devout Sikh are not allowed to cut their hairs, so you get a bunch of brown guys with beards and turbans that don't drink alcohol or smoke and are vegetarians. Not the favoured group of people by many Americans.

I didn't know there was a big Sikh community in Visalia of all places. Yuba City has the biggest Sikh community in the US, and one of the biggest outside of Punjab. They've got 3 temples in the town - it's only 15 sq miles and 65k people! They even have a parade that over 100k people come to. I've heard a lot of Sikh are rice farmers, but I don't know - there isn't much in Yuba City that isn't ag.
Quote Reply
Re: Sikh Community Saves Town's Fireworks Display (Visalia, CA) [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The epicenter is actually up the road about 20 miles in Selma. They have two temples there. A good percentage of farmland near Selma is Indian owned. Good people. Locally they are running PSA's to let people know basically that they are not middle eastern.