Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike Ride in Sandbridge, VA? Back Bay Refuge, False Cape?
Quote | Reply
Headed here for vacation for the first time. Looking for some 20-40 mile rides. I saw there is a bike shop, Fat Frog, that has group rides, but I am wondering if anyone has been down there and knows if there is riding south in Back Bay Refuge and/or False Cape State Park. We are staying towards the parks, and it looks like there are roads? I saw a forum that said they were all gravel, and I am hoping someone knows. It seems it would be great if I could leave the house and pedal down that way instead of navigating Va. beach. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Ride in Sandbridge, VA? Back Bay Refuge, False Cape? [nickfresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never did any of the group rides, but I often did laps on Sanfiddler & Sandpiper in the morning.

If you're going to ride out Sandbridge Rd, I'd recommend going when traffic is low.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Ride in Sandbridge, VA? Back Bay Refuge, False Cape? [nickfresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am heading there as well. I will be in North Side Va Beach. Where are these gravel roads located? How bad is the road traffic?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm actually vising family in Va Beach at the moment and just did a 75mi ride today. Started from close to fat frogs and rode up general booth up to North Beach area and up past the boardwalk to Shore Drive, then came back the same way back down past fat frogs down into Pungo. I have to say I'm not a big fan of riding in this area. The bigger roads are not bike friendly. Some of the smaller roads have no shoudler and some drivers don't like to give much room. Of the areas I've hit so far Shore Drive has a nice protected bike lane but its only good for about 4 miles. I looped that few times. Pungo is bike friendly. Sandbridge road has no shoulder and has a lot of traffic so I didn't feel too safe on it but wasnt horrible.

If you're staying by north beach you can go up pacific and up thru shore drive. If you're staying closer to sandbridge check out muddy creek road and charity road. Pungo area is pretty quiet and decent cycling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For tame trail riding, First Landing State Park has a 6 mile trail where you can do out and backs. Should be fine on a gravel bike...it's too tame to be fun on a MTB.

I'd recommend joining a group ride; looks like you've already done research. There are some really fast riders in VB.

There is some good riding in the area, but also some dangerous roads, so you have to figure out which are good or bad. Most roads do not have bike lanes or shoulders so you have to count on low traffic volume and friendly drivers.

If you want to ride on the road without a shop group, check out Strava Global Heatmap...you can clearly see the good routes.

http://labs.strava.com/...4/36.76612/blue/bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can get in 25+ miles if you ride through false cape and back bay with a loop of sandbridge/sandfiddler roads. It is best on a cross/gravel bike as the parks are basically all gravel or dirt trails. At some point deep into false cape the road gets very sandy. Look out for wildlife (snakes, wild pigs) Also note there is admission fee for back bay - I think 2 dollars, so unless you go before they open make sure you have a couple of bucks. Have fun
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Ride in Sandbridge, VA? Back Bay Refuge, False Cape? [racert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds like the plan to me. We have been in Corolla the past few years, and even though there is a shoulder, I have been buzzed so many times by distracted beach drivers that it isn't worth it. Last thing I feel like doing on vacation is dealing with more of that. I can also just run and swim more, right? :)

I will also call the bike shop to see about the group rides and going down into Pungo.

Thanks, all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a VB Resident I will apologized for the crappy drhivers ere. One time coming up West Neck just after Indian River I had driver flip me off while talking on her cell phone.

Pungo be nice to the people, there have been bad feelings between group riders and the residents. As much as possible stay off Princess Anne, the road seems to be a race track for the gravel trucks.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Last edited by: Billabong: Jul 6, 17 15:17
Quote Reply
Re: Bike Ride in Sandbridge, VA? Back Bay Refuge, False Cape? [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jeez. Maybe I'll just leave the bike at home. Of the three legs, it's the one I need to work on the least anyway. Or maybe I'll bring the beater single speed and cruise w the kids up and down the street. Doesn't seem worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is a great place to ride, most people are good to go, but as always there are the idiots.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Bike Ride in Sandbridge, VA? Back Bay Refuge, False Cape? [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wanted to update this after spending a week down there. I opted to borrow a CX bike and spend my time in the state park, and it was awesome. We were at the south end of Sandbridge, so it was about a mile to the gate, and then a mile to the trailhead/visitor center. There are a ton of trails, all sandy gravel and perfect for a CX bike. Small rises, no hills, lots of shade in the forests and absolute beauty. I rode two hours one day and didn't see another human. You can go all the way down to the NC border. The trails are all pretty well marked. I also ran back in there, and that was also great. Saw an eagle, an otter, dozens of birds and lots of small wildlife. Had some really great workouts.

When you are done, Baja, the only bar down there is right outside of the park, and they serve coffee and burritos in the morning with a beautiful sound side view. Pretty sweet way to cap the ride.

You can ride up and down the two roads in Sandbridge but one is busy with cars, the other with people. It didn't seem rewarding.

The ride out of Sandbridge is a two lane twisty road with zero shoulder and tons of cars. I saw a guy riding that, and not only did it seem not fun, I think it was a bit reckless. He had a dozen cars backed up behind him. I think if you want to ride out in Pungo, you really should put the bike on the car and drive out from the beach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am headed back down there next week, and I wonder if anyone knows a good pool indoor or outdoor where I can drop in for some swimming? Ideally, I wouldn't have to drive too far out of Sandbridge itself. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nickfresh wrote:
Wanted to update this after spending a week down there. I opted to borrow a CX bike and spend my time in the state park, and it was awesome. We were at the south end of Sandbridge, so it was about a mile to the gate, and then a mile to the trailhead/visitor center. There are a ton of trails, all sandy gravel and perfect for a CX bike. Small rises, no hills, lots of shade in the forests and absolute beauty. I rode two hours one day and didn't see another human. You can go all the way down to the NC border. The trails are all pretty well marked. I also ran back in there, and that was also great. Saw an eagle, an otter, dozens of birds and lots of small wildlife. Had some really great workouts.

When you are done, Baja, the only bar down there is right outside of the park, and they serve coffee and burritos in the morning with a beautiful sound side view. Pretty sweet way to cap the ride.

You can ride up and down the two roads in Sandbridge but one is busy with cars, the other with people. It didn't seem rewarding.

The ride out of Sandbridge is a two lane twisty road with zero shoulder and tons of cars. I saw a guy riding that, and not only did it seem not fun, I think it was a bit reckless. He had a dozen cars backed up behind him. I think if you want to ride out in Pungo, you really should put the bike on the car and drive out from the beach.

This is great to know. I took my road bike down a few years ago when my inlaws first bought their house down there. I had a horrible time so i never brought a bike with me again. We never made it to the park, but next time down Ill definitely bring my gravel bike and check it out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea, and the Princess Anne rec center is among the nicer ones.
Princess Anne YMCA pool is probably the nicest in the area if you can get into it.
Lived in VB for 5 years; I do not miss riding there at all, though.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply