Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wheelset choice opinion
Quote | Reply
Use: draft legal sprint distance, 110 lb rider on Cervelo S5, flat and good road surface, normally averages about 23/24 mph

Which wheelset would you use:

Zipp FC 404 tubular with Conti Competitions, 2200g all in
Enve SES 4.5 clincher with Conti GP4000s 23c, 2460g all in
Bontrager Aeolus 3 D3 TLR with Schwalbe Pro One tubeless 23c, 2400g all in including sealant
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelset choice opinion [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Zipps, they're lighter and will spin up to speed faster with the changes to pace in the group
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
Use: draft legal sprint distance, 110 lb rider on Cervelo S5, flat and good road surface, normally averages about 23/24 mph

Bontrager Aeolus 3 D3 TLR with Schwalbe Pro One tubeless 23c, 2400g all in including sealant

Why not swap out the Schwalbe Pro One for a pair of Vittoria Corsa Speed. That would definitely by my choice then.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelset choice opinion [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's my thought as well, but I've heard about the Crr about the bigger tires (the Conti GP4000s on the Enve measures to to about 26mm wide). In a short draft legal format, you are right in that getting up to speed around the corners is probably the most important in not getting gapped.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelset choice opinion [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought about them as well, but I am really afraid of punctures on the Corsa Speed ruining the race. I got them for race only, and when I first test rode them on good roads, I got one big cut that trash the tire. I put another one on, thinking the first one was just a fluke incident, that the second one got a slow leak from very small sharp pebble (<2mm in diameter, it took me a while to find it) embedded in in between the side and bottom of the tire. After patch it up, I rode them a couple of more times and they are fine; but these incidents didn't give me much confidence regardless how nice the roads are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:

When you say,"all in", are you including flat repair for each type? Or will you abandon if you get a flat? That may change your weight calculation. I'd consider putting the Vittorias that Thomas G recommended on the Enves. I suspect they're more aero.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelset choice opinion [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is for USAT Junior Elite races. Flats means the race is pretty much done for. There simply isn't enough time to swap a wheel and still be competitive at the front. Therefore, puncture protection is still very high on the consideration.

When I said "all in", I mean the actual weight of the wheelset includes everything: skewers, cassette, rim tape, tubes (for non-tubeless), valve stems and sealant (for tubeless).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:
The Zipps, they're lighter and will spin up to speed faster with the changes to pace in the group

+1, Zipp tubies for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelset choice opinion [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcoffee wrote:
mike s wrote:

+1, Zipp tubies for sure.
Another +1 for Zipp w/ Conti's.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Last edited by: philly1x: Jul 3, 17 13:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tubulars have the added benefit of being able to ride while flat. So in the event of a puncture (that doesn't seal) near the end of the bike leg, at least it's not game over.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mike s wrote:

Ok, so the Zipps are 200 grams lighter, but the bike and rider weighs 58ish kg. So those 200 grams will require .6% (actually probably more like .4% but being generous because I don't feel like doing the math for rotational inertia) more power to accelerate than an identical rider on the zipps. But you are giving up 10 watts in rolling resistance in using the zipps with the competition tubulars (here). So really you do think the slight advantage in inertia is worth 10 watts? This is not magic, 200 grams is simply not that much for the bike/rider system, even factoring in rotational inertia.

The enves with latex tubes and sealant are probably the least likely to flat, but there may a slight advantage in speed with the Bontragers and a good tubular tire.
Quote Reply
Re: Wheelset choice opinion [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's really interesting...

We will test the Zipps and Enves at the race site and then decide depending how it feels. The race is coming up on Sunday, so at this point, I don't feel like changing tubes or tires. Both wheelsets as they are served well in the previous races with no problem. In all likelihood, the wheelset won't make much of a difference because these races always come down the run for the front pack.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HED makes some nice carbon tubulars in their stinger line. Seem to be put to good use by the Rally cycling team.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the explanation. Weight is really over-rated in cycling. Aero and rolling resistance matter more. The Zipps are great wheels. While the Conti tubulars are great tires, but with butyl tubes, my suspicion is that you'll be giving up 4w/wheel. I would go with the ENVEs if you have latex tubes. Otherwise, the Bontragers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Enve's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
Thanks for the explanation. Weight is really over-rated in cycling. Aero and rolling resistance matter more.

Aero probably matters less in a draft-legal sprint race unless you are leading out of the water or a breakaway artist. It might matter less than weight depending on the severity of braking in the corners. I would look at rolling resistance, but the advantage of being able to ride in on a deflating tubular has its upsides...

Quote Reply
Re: Wheelset choice opinion [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get it. I've still got 2 sets of tubulars. But it's not like you're gonna ride them in at speed - unless it's straight. If you ride them in at 18mph instead of 24, then if you flat half mile from T2, you give up 25 seconds. I don't know, but I suspect that unless one is an FOP runner, your day is done. I've ridden mine with a flat. Unless one is willing to ruin the wheel, it's tough for me to ride them above 15, but that's just me.

While I get the idea of energy to spin up and to accelerate repeatedly, I wonder what the energy cost is? I haven't seen a study that quantifies it. I have seen FLO's study about weight and climbing. One has to be going up something like Ventoux for 500 grams less weight to overcome better aero. IIRC, rolling resistance was removed from the test.

Anybody have a valid test to look at, or are we just bench racing here?
Quote Reply