Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What's next?
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

Relatively new member here. I've been reading the forums for a couple of weeks, and really appreciate everyone's time and input.

tl;dr: what are the highest priority items after getting all the basic gear for Olympic distance racing?

So far my triathlon career has consisted of 3 Sprint Tris over 4 years, but I have decided to put more emphasis on it starting this year. I did a Sprint in May and have one in September with a 10k scheduled in July. I'm currently nursing a bit of some knee pain, but hoping to get back to it training soon. My goal is to do another Sprint in the spring and an Olympic at the Chicago Tri next fall. I don't foresee myself moving past Olympic for at least a few years. I am not naturally athletic or fit and need to build up my basic endurance.

All of that said, I have seen a lot of information about the basic gear to get when starting the sport, but not a lot about moving up from entry level (without getting super into the weeds really quickly). Below is a list of what I have and my thoughts on next steps, but would appreciate any additional advice you all have.

General:
Tri suit
Garmin 920XT with HRM-Run

Swim
Aqua Sphere Kayenne goggles

Bike
2010 Fuji ACR 3.0 64 cm road bike w/abt 4,000 miles (yes, 64 cm; I'm 6'8")
Aluminum frame with carbon forks
2x9 Shimano Tiagra groupset
Stock front wheel
DT Swiss rr465 rear wheel (chosen because the stock wheel was falling apart and my LBS recommended a 32 spoke wheel to haul my 235 lb frame around the hills of CA [now in Chicago])
Look Keo cleats with Shimano bike shoes
T2+ aero bars

Run
Shoes based on fitting recommendation

At this point, based on what I've read here and on other sites, my prioritized list of next purchases is:
Bike fit (my original fit was done by Performance for general road biking, not tri)
Bike trainer (with power output)
Power meter
Wetsuit

Two questions:
1) Agree or disagree with this list?
2) Is it worth spending $300 for a bike fit + replacing whatever components need to be replaced, or should I be looking at a new bike?

Sorry for the long first post, and appreciate your input!
Quote Reply
Re: What's next? [dmgt83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some people seem to rave on about bikefits, I think for your level and considering the cost of $300, I'd consider doing it yourself or getting an experienced mate to help you. It's not that complex to get reasonably comfortable on a bike. I wouldn't bother with a PM, unless you have money to burn, especially considering you're mainly racing sprints. In a sprint I'm going one notch below flat out, my power reading is pretty much irrelevant. I'm sure others will disagree.
Quote Reply
Re: What's next? [dmgt83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your biggest improvements are going to come from consistent training and racing, rather than purchasing more toys.
Quote Reply