Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

File This Under "Bad Idea": ISIS Attacks Seemingly Trapped, Outgunned SAS Unit
Quote | Reply
50 ISIS fighters attempted to attack a small British Special Air Service (SAS, or the Billy Badasses of the British military) unit trapped in a river bed and with about 10 rounds of ammunition left.

They chose...poorly. ;-)

One source puts the body count of ISIS fighters at 32 after they foolishly chose to go head-to-head with the SAS special operations soldiers, one of whom apparently drowned an enemy fight in a puddle after his unit was trapped in a river bed.

"The troops were surrounded by approximately 50 ISIS militants yesterday close to Mosul in Northern Iraq as they had just withdrawn from an intelligence gathering mission, according to the Daily Star.

In the ambush, soldiers fatally shot several militants before their ammunition ran out and they were forced to use their guns as battering rams, knives, wit and brute strength to defeat the enemy.

One man even drowned an ISIS fighter in a puddle before picking up a stone which he smashed into another man's face.

Sources told the Daily Star that they were convinced they were going to die in the battle, so they chose to 'go out fighting' in the hope that they would kill as many ISIS fighters as possible before they died."

SAS hero drowned ISIS fighter in a puddle in Mosul | Daily Mail Online

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Last edited by: big kahuna: Jul 2, 17 18:31
Quote Reply
Re: File This Under "Bad Idea": ISIS Attacks Seemingly Trapped, Outgunned SAS Unit [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is awesome. SAS are truly badass!!!
Quote Reply
Re: File This Under "Bad Idea": ISIS Attacks Seemingly Trapped, Outgunned SAS Unit [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like an SAS Saturday night. I will put money down they where making jokes the whole time. A few cats from the RAF I deployed with a few times where former SAS, chose to be plane mechanics bad injuries slowed them a step or two. They told me that when things get nasty for the SAS they like to have a good laugh. I wouldn't mess with them. No sir.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wonder what led to the unit being in the gully with only 10 remaing rounds of ammo. Sounds like there is a story there too.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I assume the radio communications between the SAS HQ and team leader went something like this:

HQ: What's your situation, over?
Team Leader: We're surrounded. That simplifies the problem, out!

That response is originally from Lt Gen Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller. But the SAS are bad ass Mo-Fo's and the kind Chesty would like.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: File This Under "Bad Idea": ISIS Attacks Seemingly Trapped, Outgunned SAS Unit [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like that article left out a few points.
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/...fight-British-troops

They killed 20 of the 50 before they realized they had less than 10 rounds left. Still significantly badass but not quite as badass as killing 32 with less than 10 rounds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Four freaking hours? Holy hell on earth.

Did SAS lose any?

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: File This Under "Bad Idea": ISIS Attacks Seemingly Trapped, Outgunned SAS Unit [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Sounds like that article left out a few points.
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/...fight-British-troops

They killed 20 of the 50 before they realized they had less than 10 rounds left. Still significantly badass but not quite as badass as killing 32 with less than 10 rounds.

Wow, amazing. Those guys are serious warriors. Reminds me of the book "Bravo Two Zero" by Andy McNabb about an SAS detachment getting compromised during a Scud Hunt during Desert Storm. There is a scene in that book that is very similar to this; faced with overwhelming odds, the Bravo Two Zero patrol charged their enemies and ended the initial engagement.

Badass, indeed.

Quote | Reply
Reminds me of a story about a Marine Captain in Vietnam who went outside the line one night to take a dump. He was carrying only his e-tool, and fell into a shell crater occupied by six VC. He was the only one who left the shell crater alive. He said the same thing; when you are convinced you are going to die, no sense holding back.
Quote Reply
Re: File This Under "Bad Idea": ISIS Attacks Seemingly Trapped, Outgunned SAS Unit [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Did SAS lose any?

From the second article:

It is understood every member of the same unit returned to operations two days later apart from two soldiers who had suffered minor gunshot wounds.
Quote Reply