Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HiM watts not much higher than IM watts
Quote | Reply
I did a Half IM distance today; was on UK roads which are not great so time of 2.20 was pretty decent. But this was a C race (at best) and I was just using it for training loads; positions were irrelevant. I really wanted to do 275 NP and only did 261 (which is IF of .79)
I seem to to be able to hold .75 IF for a full
It seems my power curve is very flat indeed !

I felt like I was moving; I did not feel it was an easy ride or that I was taking it easy in sections. It felt a solid effort, but clearly I have more to give
Advice?
Quote Reply
Re: HiM watts not much higher than IM watts [bespoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that is not way out of whack. always look at HR as well, 5-7 beats more on av hr is about normal. .05 on IF is more than it seems, especially if you are trainng more for IM. sounds like you were happy with your 2:20, focus on that. watts is just one part of the picture.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How was your run?

Remember, the goal is to have your best swim, bike, run combination, not hit a specific IF that some book claims is ideal. A .79 IF for a half is solid. You can probably go a bit higher and still have a good run, but this isn't so low that it indicates a bad race, especially since you said this was a C race which I'm guessing means you didn't rest much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Advice? Don't be a slave to your power meter.
Your probably more rested for an A race versus a C race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bespoke wrote:
was on UK roads which are not great so time of 2.20 was pretty decent. But this was a C race (at best) /quote]

Nice front door brag :P

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: HiM watts not much higher than IM watts [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry - did not mean to sound like I was boasting. Anything but
My point was that for this C race I was less worried about the run or my position. I simply wanted to hold 275 watts and I did not.
As a matter of fact my run was decent. So .79 might well be my optimum for a half
But I would rather (for this race) have held 275 and then blown up in run - at least I would know....

I am just trying to work out why I dont seem able to have a range of speeds like others.
I bet my Olympic pace would still be less than 0.80 !!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bespoke wrote:
Sorry - did not mean to sound like I was boasting. Anything but
My point was that for this C race I was less worried about the run or my position. I simply wanted to hold 275 watts and I did not.
As a matter of fact my run was decent. So .79 might well be my optimum for a half
But I would rather (for this race) have held 275 and then blown up in run - at least I would know....

I am just trying to work out why I dont seem able to have a range of speeds like others.
I bet my Olympic pace would still be less than 0.80 !!

Training for long course, I am finding watts are harder to come by at shorter distances as well. I did an olympic recently where my watts were much lower than target. Run was nearly perfect so like you maybe I could have pushed harder on the bike but the watts just didn't want to come. I attribute it mostly to training through the race. If you didn't taper at all for your HIM i'm not surprised the watts didn't come easily. Odds are if you had tapered you would have ran well off of 280.
Quote Reply