Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Di2 bar end junction box compatibility
Quote | Reply
Has anybody upgraded to the new Di2 bar end junction box (EW-RS910) for their road bike? I have heard that standard drop bars can't internally route the wires to the bar end. The Shimano PRO series specifically mentions having the ability to do just that, but other brands I've checked don't mention it on their websites. Are there any other handlebars that are compatible with internally routing the shifter wires to the bar end junction box?
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 bar end junction box compatibility [bpe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You need a hole into the bars besides the ends, which is why a standard bar won't work. Most wing-shaped/aero bars have internal cabling holes behind the shifters and on both sides of the stem; there's no reason why these won't work. My Specialized Aerofly bars would work.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 bar end junction box compatibility [tylerwal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did it with a 3T Ergonova. However, the bar end junction box only has two ports because Shimano expects you to use a "y" etube wire. The hard part is running a wire internally from the shifter nearest to the junction box back to the junction box. You have to run it away (back to the stem) and then back down to the junction box because you cannot make the turn to go directly from the shifter to the box. I did not use the "y" cable but used a 4 port rear internal junction box to make a y at the bar end and tucked it back into the bar end before inserting the bar end junction box (I did not realize the bar end box only had two ports until after I wired the bar assuming it had three). My concern with Shimano's y cable is whether you can hide the y part inside the bar and the sharp turn the wire has take (Shimano assumes some wires will run externally from shifter to box, which requires a hole near the bar end, which the 3T Ergonova does not have). Ideally you would run a long wire from left shifter to junction box on right bar end and then use a y cable to go from wireless unit to right shifter and junction box on right bar end. However the lengths for the y wire do not work great for this and would require a sharp bend in the wire.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A very good tutorial on how to do it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cON3w1IL_7k
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Profile Design DRV/AEROa is setup for this.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 bar end junction box compatibility [wtboone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Y-cable can be routed internally but you have to be careful the direction if the Y. Are you trying to route everything internally? From what I know, the Ergonovas are not setup for that because the bends on the bar where the shifters get fastened to are reinforced internally and they are not hollow. I had a Team bar and couldn’t get it done, maybe the new ones will.
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 bar end junction box compatibility [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a new Ergonova team stealth with internal cable routing and I got all the wires to run internally, including the bend below where the shifter attaches. I used the park tool magnet/wire routing kit and got it done. It was not particularly easy, but possible. If I were to redo it, I would consider drilling a hole on the underside of the drop, about 5 or 6 cm from the bar end. That would enable you run wires externally from shifter to bar end and use the y wire as intended, making the installation much easier. It might compromise strength a little, but I never grab the bar down there.
Quote Reply