Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question - shoes for June Lake run course?
Quote | Reply
I'm doing June Lake half next weekend and I have a question about the run leg. On the website they say to bring trail shoes, but I was wondering if the thing can be done in running shoes. I haven't really found any trail shoes that are comfortable for longer runs and would like to avoid using them if I can. Any advice from someone who has done this race before?
Last edited by: T3_Beer: Jul 1, 17 9:15
Quote Reply
Re: Question - shoes for June Lake run course? [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably the majority of the run is in dirt. There is one pretty steep/rocky hill you climb (can see it in the elevation profile) which is then followed by a somewhat steep decent. While you probably can do everything in regular running shoes the trail running shoes do help. Also, with the run in the sand/dirt it's hard to keep things out of your shoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did the race a few years ago Lightweight trail shoes would be ideal, in my mind. But running shoes will be do-able. All I remember thinking about is how hard the race is, not about my shoes. Have fun, it's beautiful!
Quote Reply
Re: Question - shoes for June Lake run course? [harp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input guys. I'm looking forward to the views and the experience, not so much the pain!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
T3_Beer wrote:
I'm doing June Lake half next weekend and I have a question about the run leg. On the website they say to bring trail shoes, but I was wondering if the thing can be done in running shoes. I haven't really found any trail shoes that are comfortable for longer runs and would like to avoid using them if I can. Any advice from someone who has done this race before?

I did the half last year. Great race!

The run is almost entirely on dirt roads or singletrack that are level enough you can get away with road runners *except* the section going up and down the bloody steep hill during the first 10 k. There are a couple sections there they you will probably slip on without decent traction. Even with trail runners you may slip. I did and managed to explode my knee on the down hill.

I ran in a pair of pearl izumi trail runners and they worked great (the knee was operator error)

Even though the second half of the run is flat, it can be harder in a lot of ways as it is exposed, hot, dry, and very lonely. The volunteers are awesome and help a ton.

Enjoy yourself! The race really does live up to its "toughest race in the most beautiful place" slogan. I'm super bummed I wont be there this year.
Last edited by: davejustdave: Jul 3, 17 12:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did the race go for you?
Quote Reply