Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: July Swim Challenge [TriSliceRS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't done the postals. When is the deadline?
I mashed up my wrist and it's been healing for a week, so I'm not sure when I could do a 10k again.
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Challenge [Trexlera] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry about your wrist :-(

Today 7.7 mi run as 1.8 mi, 2 mi, 2 x 1 mi, .4 mi @ 8:00 pace (.2 easy between them), which gave me 10k total at sort-of-speed. Then 600 yd swim in Oklahoma State U. outdoor pool... my new digs.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Challenge [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5.5 mi easy run
1500 yd swim in Oklahoma State U. indoor pool (also very warm)

5 x 100 on 1:30 w/u
5 x [100 fast on 1:30 + 100 easy on 2:00] 1:13, 1:11, 1:11, 1:11, 1:10

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7.5 mi run, 800 yd straight swim

Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Challenge [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7/24 - Lunchtime sloshbucket swim - Pool overloaded with chemicals plus about 85 degrees. Just about turns my stomach. 1000 in 13:05 100 cool (of sorts)

7/25 - Morning Ocean Swim - Shaw's Cove, flat and super low tide, so a double Patsee's Portage crossing and a new challenge between some rocks at Seal Rock. The surge nearly pushed me into the rocks. I swam like a 25 yard sprint to stay off them... a bit scary. 3153 yards in 45 minutes. 13 mile noon bike ride

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Challenge [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

300 easy
6x75 first 50 easy, 3d 25 build each set
6x75 first 25 build each set, 50 easy
600 sighting every 25, deck-up every 100, no breaks
3x100 @90% with deck-up, :30 RI
500 pull
2x150 fast, :45RI
total 2900scy

44.5mi ride, zone 2-3 effort

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Challenge [scofflaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7.5 mi run very even pace
1500 yd swim

perk of new university pool: 3m diving boards that I can use! That's how I got in today :-)

8 x 100 on 1:30 w/u
50 kick
100, 200, 100 fast w/ 100 easy between them 1:12, 2:26, 1:12
50 backstroke c/d

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another nice ocean swim this AM. Flat and low tide, but a degree or two cooler. We had a special guest swim with us, a pod member's friend who is out from New York - an attorney handling litigation in a local restaurant discrimination suit. Pretty interesting stuff he talked about. 2567 yards in 40 minutes.
Lunchtime run - 4 miles in 32 minutes. Quite hot and humid, but put in a good effort.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7.1 mi run 60:46
1650 yd swim

500 w/u
50 kick
5 x 100 odds fast
50 kick
5 x 100 mix drill and swim
50 kick

Yesterday I went to the outdoor pool/lazy river with my mom midday and this morning we checked out the Splash Pad, which is a cool area with a bunch of water-dumping devices for kids. :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, my outdoor pool has no flags for when I get close to the wall for back stroke. What do I do....do you guys just count strokes. My other problem during lane swim is staying on my side hugging the lane rope. I am always worried about drifting into the middle and smacking another swimmer. Indoors, I can look at the roof for context. Outdoors, I have limited visual other than the sky (awesome to see the sky, but it does not give me any reference points)....help!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hmmm. not sure; I don't train outside much...

7.3 mi run in 60:40 with 1 mi @ 8:20, 2.1 mi @ 8:13, 1.1 mi @ 8:07, 1.3 mi @ 8:00
2100 yd swim

6 x 100 on various intervals (goggle problems)
50 kick
4 x 150 on 2:15
50 kick
2 x 300 on 4:00
200 sidestroke :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use your peripheral vision and the lane rope.

Usually, the lane rope changes to a solid colour 5m from the wall. Look for that. Not as nice as having flags, but occasionally I have to do that in our indoor pool if the guards haven't put the flags back in after the diving team has been practising.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
OK, my outdoor pool has no flags for when I get close to the wall for back stroke. What do I do....do you guys just count strokes. My other problem during lane swim is staying on my side hugging the lane rope. I am always worried about drifting into the middle and smacking another swimmer. Indoors, I can look at the roof for context. Outdoors, I have limited visual other than the sky (awesome to see the sky, but it does not give me any reference points)....help!!!
You can occasionally tilt your head back to look forward and see how close to the wall you're getting. You can also turn your head to the side to get a glance at the lane line and how close you are. Do these often to start, then less and less as you gain confidence in swimming backstroke straight and judging wall distance.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HalfSpeed wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

You can occasionally tilt your head back to look forward and see how close to the wall you're getting. You can also turn your head to the side to get a glance at the lane line and how close you are. Do these often to start, then less and less as you gain confidence in swimming backstroke straight and judging wall distance.

Hey guys, thanks for this tip. That is kind of what I am doing and it is fine when I am solo in the lane as I am not worried about a head on collision. The lanes in my outdoor pool are a bit narrow to start off so that does not help. Sometimes if I am doing an IM set, I start with full backstroke and if there is someone in my lane, I just revert to kicking on my back and that way any collision won't be skull on skull (I am extra tense about the possibility of this due to 2011 head and neck injuries and concussion/post concussion that I still have from time to time).

Thanks to Jason on the tips on the World's thread about keeping my arms and head "static" and building the wave with my core and legs for under water dolphin. I have been watching a lot of videos and I get what needs to be done. Still swimming a lot with no specific goals or structure. I think I am getting technically better on a bunch of small things which are adding up to faster speed all around. I still really suck and breast stroke and seem to be faster with two dolphin kicks than one breast stroke kick.

One more thing, I have been doing some drills where I swim 25 m fly breathing only every 3-4 strokes to get the timing of the stroke without breathing which I find quite a bit different than when the head comes up. I have not gotten to be able to do 100m fly breathing every other stroke. That was a new achievement this week while swimming at the 50m Pan Am Games pool while on biz in Toronto. My stroke count was 26 which I think is half decent for someone 5'6" with just a push off who just learned how to do this (fly) last year.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Jul 29, 17 6:01
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Challenge [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yesterday: 31 mi bike (I am overly proud of having gotten on my bike)

today: 9 mi run, 1000 yd swim
desc by 3 mi: 26:25, 25:44, 24:34

swim was 600 free, 50 kick, 100 sidestroke, 150 free in the outdoor pool

Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Challenge [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After watching endless swimming world video over and over and over last nite till 1 am, today during my 90 min swim, I THINK I made a breakthrough in both my underwater dolphin kick AND my horrible breast stroke. Suddenly I was keeping up with guys in the other lane doing free (I am in the fast lane, they in the medium) whereas, normally all those guys would be pulling away. On CBC Byron Macdonald was talking about a very tight sweep high cadence pull and very narrow kick. You guys already told me to keep my kick tight, so I was there, but my sweep was way to wide and slow cadence. This was causing my legs to stall after my tight kick resulting in me wanting to "fill the time" with a secondary illegal dolphin kick to finish my wide arm sweep. But that was resulting in wanting to glide even longer at the front end before the outsweep. With a tight arm catch/sweep and tight kick (almost a dolphin kick with a tight snap) I was suddenly flying and actually enjoying breast stroke for the first time in my life. Bring it on.

I still suck and backstroke outdoors. I think part of the problem is swimming at high noon and the sun being totally in my face, so I close my eyes to avoid the glare, which means there is no peripheral vision to see the lane ropes or the final 5m of "solid colour rope".

But thanks everyone for your tips and encouragement. This month will be my biggest swim month of my life (just past 130K and hit 700K for the year over 7 months). Really enjoying the entire process. I just moved my entire training/self improvement addiction to the pool.

Now back to watching FINA worlds for the next 2 hours. Man, I am glad my son is officially now a 4th year student in college. I just wish I had my body from 15 years ago with all this free time LOL, but the way it works is when you have no time with kids, your body works, and when you have time and money when they are grown up, your body is broken!!!! Who set up this stupid program????
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7.4 mi run 59:53:
1 mi w/u, (1 mi @ 7.6 mph + .5 mi @ 7.7 mph), .2 easy, (1 mi @ 7.7 mph + 1 mi @ 7.8 mph), 2.7 mi c/d
2300 yd swim

20 x 100 on 1:30
300 c/d non free
played on 1m and 3m boards :D

Month total: 19 swims = 21,900 yds

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monday- 1000 meters pool
Tuesday- 3000 meters pool
Thursday- 3200 meters pool
Friday- 4200 meters pool
Sunday- 8000 meter ows
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7/27
A morning 3000 yard ocean swim at Shaw's Cove in 44 minutes. We had a special guest swimmer, Fran from San Francisco's SERC (South End Rowing Club - The group that swims out of Aquatic Park.)
Coveathlon #5 in the afternoon - About 1000 yards in 13 minutes, followed by a 3 mile run in 22 minutes.

7/28
Afternoon 15 mile fairly hilly bike ride, pushed it. 15 miles, 2000 feet of climbing in 52 minutes
Evening ocean swim in full SwimRun kit & tethered with partner - 1150 yards in rough seas, followed with a 1/2 mile beach run upon swim exit. Scrambled over exposed reef rocks in my Icebug shoes - awesome grippy shoes!

7/29
Morning ocean swim from Oak Street, again in full SwimRun kit. 2906 yards in 58 minutes. Water temp dropping down to 67 degrees.
Followed that with a 24 mile bike ride along the coast in 1:37.

7/30
No swim. Got up early and drove to the mountains to hike Mt. Baldy, 10,064 feet. 10 miles in 3 hours, 4,000 feet of climbing. My legs still hurt.

7/31
Morning Pool Swim 3700 yards in an hour
w/u: 400s/100k/100p
2x[
6x50@1:00 kwf dolphin
6x100@1:45 as 25fl/50fr/25fl w/fins
6x50@1:00 fl/bk/br
200 as 50br/fr/br/fr
]
300 cool

Quote Reply

Prev Next