Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Regarding IMC bike tensions with Pemberton...
Quote | Reply
when a community has folks that are open about performing road blocks or road sabotage, what measures could WTC take to curtail this and protect the riders?

I assume not much can be done. More motorcycles and support vehicles to scout the roads in addition to their responsibilities of officiating and sag? Have 'undercover' fans at certain places, random or not, to keep an eye on the crowd behavior in the area?

I can't imagine much more than this ^^^. And, I wouldn't be surprised that this might not even be possible if it adds to the number of volunteers needed for the event.

I remember this being an issue at IMChatt a few years ago. Were there any extra eyes out there on the route?

This could possibly be my last full dist IM and I really don't want this drama on race day. I understand, for reasons mentioned in Dan's article http://www.slowtwitch.com/..._IM_Canada_6430.html , and respect the decisions made by the people of Pemberton. But, I can only hope that they feel they have acted/voted in a way that will give them what they want moving forward and not try to ruin the day (not to mention, the risk of injury) of so many people that are coming from all over mainly to see that incredibly gorgeous part of the world.

So, if anyone with WTC has their eyes on this forum, what plans do you have that may require going the extra mile to keep the roads open, clean, and safe? I'm very aware that it is impossible to be everywhere all the time. But, surely, if this busy husband/dad/worker dude is a little bit worried about this, then you are, too, right?

I'm not fast podium guy but I've never had a DNF and I don't plan on getting one at IMC.

"Outwork your talent." Kevin McHale
Quote Reply
Re: Regarding IMC bike tensions with Pemberton... [morpheus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never understood why people think a post here is going to be read by <insert triathlon industry person/company>.

Why not contact the race office? I'm sure they are aware of the douchebags in the Pemberton area.

Or better yet, HTFU and just go race like everyone else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My .02

They're not going to do anything (and even if they were they would not talk about it here)

And since (I believe) that the race looks like it may be movingly forward without them (?) nothing is going to happen anyway

There were threats of tacks in 2013, all I saw were some families on the side of the road clapping as we went by
Quote Reply
Re: Regarding IMC bike tensions with Pemberton... [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is what I expect with the spectators. I don't race often and this is my first one where these kind of threats pertain to me. Statistics say that even if somebody screwed with the road, I'd miss it.

also, I agree that WTC wouldn't divulge their plan on a public forum. Was just thinking out loud. Wishful thinking that there will be spies everywhere!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be happy if they just got enough people to Marshall the pemberton draft speedway flats.
Quote Reply
Re: Regarding IMC bike tensions with Pemberton... [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you're absolutely right. have never done that before tho I'm willing to bet they keep an eye on topics, and responses, more often than not. Contacting the race office and getting caught up in the pursuit of shutting up some rogue individuals isn't my motive. I don't have time to do that.

As far as your HTFU pep talk...if that is indeed what it is...thanks for the reminder. You have a very good point that we all are racing under the same circumstances. If it's more of a STFU hidden in HTFU somantics, go fuck yourself. You don't know what my HTFU is about and it has nothing to do with s/b/r. (with apologies to our moderator and fellow ST'ers).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
morpheus wrote:
If it's more of a STFU hidden in HTFU somantics, go fuck yourself. You don't know what my HTFU is about and it has nothing to do with s/b/r.

This is my favourite post in a while - thanks for the chuckle and the perspective!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
morpheus wrote:
You have a very good point that we all are racing under the same circumstances.

That WAS my point. No need for the "go fuck yourself".
Quote Reply
Re: Regarding IMC bike tensions with Pemberton... [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
downside of tone/intention via text...easily misinterpreted or misunderstood. caught me when I may have been in a sour mood and you happened upon one of my ego buttons. Being tough enough for this stuff is the only endurance gift I possess. Speed? Hell, no. Tough as nails to finish anything under any circumstances? Yeah, I got that covered. ...I may have taken your comments out of context and heard soft and whiny somewhere in there. So, my apologies to you. I considered doing that via pm but if I acted like an ass in a public forum, I am not above owning it, eating craw and apologizing in a public forum.

Let's hug it out one day.

Quote Reply